Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console now standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it frustrating to see Tesla do this:
1. introduce the vehicle with something different / interesting
2. describe and defend the innovative new thing as part of the product character / design
3. <wait>
4. hear feedback to change the new thing to be more like old things
5. <wait>
6. offer a paid retrofit to add the old thing
7. take reservations for the old thing retrofit
8. demo the old thing retrofit
9. deliver a small number of old thing retrofits
10. cancel the reservations for remaining old thing retrofits
11. <wait>
12. introduce a new version of the old thing retrofit and make it mandatory on all vehicles going forward

Basically they've found a way to piss off everyone at least once, and most people at least twice.

You keep saying that... and yet, it never happens. It's not going to happen this time either.

Its going to happen, updated interior, updated exterior, new headlights and more cameras at the end of this month.
I dont understand why people have such a hard time with this. The S is 4 years old, most cars get minor refreshes after this much time passes. Plus the price is going up, No way to justify a price increase without improving the car.

Regarding the head rests...I just checked in my 70D which was built in the middle of 2015 (with textile seats) and it matches the "new" head rest height in the picture above. So looks like the old picture (with no console) must have not matched what they have been building for quite a while.

Regarding the head rests...I just checked in my 70D which was built in the middle of 2015 (with textile seats) and it matches the "new" head rest height in the picture above. So looks like the old picture (with no console) must have not matched what they have been building for quite a while.

I was just going to respond to your first post on the rear headrests but, you're correct, the taller rear headrests are not new. I want to say they were rolled out right around when AP was introduced as part of the 1.5 gen seat changes.

I was just going to respond to your first post on the rear headrests but, you're correct, the taller rear headrests are not new. I want to say they were rolled out right around when AP was introduced as part of the 1.5 gen seat changes.
No wonder they still looked different to me. My classic P85 is lucky to have back seats, let alone tall headrests.

• Funny
Reactions: BoldSharpe
The rear headrests look taller in the new picture. At first I thought it was the angle of the shot but looking at the proportions of how much head rest is below the top of the seat level vs above the top of the seat level, it's definitely taller.
The before picture is incorrect. The rear seats went from the before picture to the after mid-2014.

It's to appeal to the masses who are cross-shopping it with ICEs rather than to the early adopter tech types, unfortunately.

Isn't appealing to the masses the point? Tesla wants to sell cars. I found the lack of console or other space to store my "things" to be a definite minus. Plus, to me, it looked silly having that big open space there. Wasted space.

Reactions: AustinPowers
Isn't appealing to the masses the point? Tesla wants to sell cars. I found the lack of console or other space to store my "things" to be a definite minus. Plus, to me, it looked silly having that big open space there. Wasted space.

Exactly right. Tesla is shifting its focus from early-adopters to early-majority. This happens with all new products and is a signal of product maturity. Early-adopters care less about missing minor features. But many of the early-majority users are cross shopping BMW/Mercedes/Lexus as demonstrated on this forum numerous times. They would compare the utility and creature comfort to the other brands they have owned. The earlier Tesla reaches feature parity in these areas, the faster can Tesla win over this segment of customers.

Exactly right. Tesla is shifting its focus from early-adopters to early-majority. This happens with all new products and is a signal of product maturity. Early-adopters care less about missing minor features. But many of the early-majority users are cross shopping BMW/Mercedes/Lexus as demonstrated on this forum numerous times. They would compare the utility and creature comfort to the other brands they have owned. The earlier Tesla reaches feature parity in these areas, the faster can Tesla win over this segment of customers.

+1

Just because a few early adopters convinced themselves that they could make do with Tesla's omission of a center console and even somehow managed to tell themselves they preferred it that way doesn't mean the majority of people worldwide buying cars would agree. Obviously Tesla must have gotten more complaints for their missing center console / interior storage over the years than praise. Otherwise they wouldn't have made a center console standard for Model X (plus in-door storage) and now apparently even for Model S (which really took me by - pleasant - surprise). This bodes well for Model 3. Big thumbs up from me.

We put ourselves on the wait list for the center console shortly before we took delivery in 2014. After two weeks we cancelled our waitlist order because we found out we really liked the open space. Is the console a bad thing? No, but I actually like the open space better.

But there wasn't a lack of a center console for those who wanted one. As the cars are built to order, I don't see why having the center console optional was a negative for anyone.

I agree. I didn't have any problem with it being optional. I had a problem with the fact that you couldn't order it with the car. For a period, it was necessary to make an appointment after you got the car to have it installed. That didn't make sense.

I think everyone would be happy if it was optional and it could be added to the car in the design studio. Maybe they'll get enough complaints that they'll do that in the future. That is the good thing about this company - they listen to the customers.... at least more than other car manufacturers.

Reactions: Chaz
I'm scheduled to pick up my P90D from the Fremont factory this Friday March 25th (confirmed on Feb 26th)-- I would love to get the center console included-- I'm going to call my DS tomorrow to confirm (or ask) that they include the center console in my delivery.

When did they make the changes to the website? Has anyone picked up in the last few days and can confirm they go the center console included?

I pick up mine Sat the 26th in Fremont. Mine was confirmed March 5th the same day as the official announcement of the new wheels. I know I'm getting the new wheels. I will post on Saturday night when I get back home if I have a surprise center console or not.

I'm scheduled to pick up my P90D from the Fremont factory this Friday March 25th (confirmed on Feb 26th)-- I would love to get the center console included-- I'm going to call my DS tomorrow to confirm (or ask) that they include the center console in my delivery.

When did they make the changes to the website? Has anyone picked up in the last few days and can confirm they go the center console included?

I'm picking up on Friday as well... 11AM in Fremont. Can't wait! Pinged my DS on the console and was advised that the car did not have one FWIW.

I pick up mine Sat the 26th in Fremont. Mine was confirmed March 5th the same day as the official announcement of the new wheels. I know I'm getting the new wheels. I will post on Saturday night when I get back home if I have a surprise center console or not.
I'm taking delivery in Fremont on Saturday too! Confirmed on March 14th. What delivery time did you schedule? I'm at 11AM. I'm not expecting the console but know that I'll have the new Slipstream wheels.

Reactions: GIdoc710
Its going to happen, updated interior, updated exterior, new headlights and more cameras at the end of this month.
I dont understand why people have such a hard time with this. The S is 4 years old, most cars get minor refreshes after this much time passes. Plus the price is going up, No way to justify a price increase without improving the car.

It would indeed make some sense to bring new news to maintain steady sales this year while they are announcing Model 3, but apart from this mere speculation and the fact that P100D is in the works, any other 'facts' on what and when to share here?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, and I'm coming to this thread late, but the pictures in this post:

Center console now standard

show seats that are different from any I've seen. There seems to be some suede like material on part of the seats in addition to the regular, shinier and smoother leather, and there is also a gray piping on the tan seats.

I can't seem to find any pictures like this on the Tesla website.