Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

There is no one "Asian Model S" so that quote doesn't even make sense. Chinese cars have the same connector on the car as the Europeans and the Japanese cars have the same connector as the US. I suppose there might be something different between Japanese cars and US cars with respect to CHAdeMO support still so the quote could still be accurate, but I suspect it's just outdated since Asian until recently meant Chinese.

Well, actually... there is a contracted service specifically maintaining those filters. Clearly, those need more service.

Please don't work on or "maintain" equipment that isn't yours. Report problems to the charge station network or directly to the owner. Thanks.
Yep.

In the SF Bay Area, we've also had numerous overheating problems with Nissan Quick Charger - CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging for Electric Vehicles. We didn't know why until a very persistent Leafer was able to find out that Aerovironment was supposed to maintain the non-networked units.

A copy of the Nissan QC cleaning guide was put up at the SF BayLeafs Facebook group and also at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - 50% Success. What's So Tough About Charging on the Road? (don't bother w/the bayfiles.net link and certainly do NOT download any software via the green button there).

Agreed. Definitely don't muck with equipment that's not yours.

There is no one "Asian Model S" so that quote doesn't even make sense. Chinese cars have the same connector on the car as the Europeans and the Japanese cars have the same connector as the US. I suppose there might be something different between Japanese cars and US cars with respect to CHAdeMO support still so the quote could still be accurate, but I suspect it's just outdated since Asian until recently meant Chinese.

Nor is there one "European Model S". For example Dutch and British cars are very different in obvious ways (steering wheel on different sides!). The point Tesla are trying to make is that the adaptor for North America is not the same as those that will be supplied in any of the other territories they operate in. Therefore, technically, the US CHAdeMO adaptor has not shipped. Only the Japanese adaptor has.

Nor is there one "European Model S". For example Dutch and British cars are very different in obvious ways (steering wheel on different sides!). The point Tesla are trying to make is that the adaptor for North America is not the same as those that will be supplied in any of the other territories they operate in. Therefore, technically, the US CHAdeMO adaptor has not shipped. Only the Japanese adaptor has.

There are all sorts of tiny differences between vehicles. Even US vehicles can have differences, Maryland cars come with the tire repair kit since state law requires it if no spare is included. Given the regional differences and options I'd bet that there aren't very many absolutely identical vehicles. However, the important bits for the CHAdeMO adapter are the electrical bits, which other than the connector differences I'm not aware of any significant differences between regions.

If there is any actual difference between the Japanese adapter and the US one I'll eat my shorts. The HPWC I just installed says it is for the US and Japan. What very likely is the difference is different regulatory approvals before they can ship something like this. I'd imagine the Japanese adapter was the priority due to the large CHAdeMO deployment there. I'd be surprised if they designed the adapter in a way that is different for Japan than the US because of regulatory differences unless the regulations were mutually exclusive. Especially since I expect this adapter to be very low volume for them so limiting the number of versions to 2 (one for each type of car connector) will be critical to keeping the cost down.

The problem is checking how the average CHAdeMO handle an Model S, and I feel that they are not doing a very good job so far ! And if Tesla sell an adaptor, people try to use them, then the charger overheat and charge stop, people could frustrate at Tesla even if it the charger fault. I wish a bunch of CHAdeMO charger were deployed right now, and would be great for long drive with the Tesla where no supercharger are available (nearly everywhere in canada). But I rather not be tempted at the idea of using it if I end up getting a faster charge off a 90AMP J1772 with the dual charger.

Especially since I expect this adapter to be very low volume for them so limiting the number of versions to 2 (one for each type of car connector) will be critical to keeping the cost down.

If TM waits another two years for the release, there may be enough SpC coverage for people to go without, but for the time-being I'd expect a lot of sales in places where there is CHAdeMO, but no SpC. Like in my province.

The problem is checking how the average CHAdeMO handle an Model S, and I feel that they are not doing a very good job so far ! And if Tesla sell an adaptor, people try to use them, then the charger overheat and charge stop, people could frustrate at Tesla even if it the charger fault. I wish a bunch of CHAdeMO charger were deployed right now, and would be great for long drive with the Tesla where no supercharger are available (nearly everywhere in canada). But I rather not be tempted at the idea of using it if I end up getting a faster charge off a 90AMP J1772 with the dual charger.
At least in Japan, Tesla seemed to try out many CHAdeMO chargers out there. They even add "verified" icon next to CHAdeMO charger tested by Tesla.

Last night I had a pfoblem with a Nissan 44kW charger on one if the highways in Japan. I've already charged at 7 different CHAdeMO chargers and this was the first time and first Nissan branded charger.
It frequently stopped with CHAdeMO communication error, and I need to restart the charging session again and again. I think I tried 10 times during 90 minutes of charge. Eventually it smoked (!!) so I gave up.
7ad4812c66947271663213ab3fead997.jpg
The "smoked" charger, before the incident.

Reported to Tesla, owner of the charger and rest area management and Tesla is checking the logs. Good news was that the Tesla charging guy told they've tested many Nissan chargers and not all of them have the same comm problem, and so far smoke or fire wasn't reported until now. However I'm not confident to use chargers at Nissan dealers anymore.

Hi, @widodh, thanks for the info. I've seen some overheating issues on this forum but didn't know it's happening all over the world... Nissan should recall the charger if that's true, shouldn't they?
Wel, yes they should, but there is a thing here.

A Leaf or e-NV200 won't charge at ~45kW for a long time due to the small battery. Currently Model S is the only car which will draw 45kW for over an hour and that builds up heat inside the charger.

These problems didn't really come to light until the first Model S started using the CHAdeMO chargers.