Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's called a High Power Wall CONNECTOR. See Shop Tesla Gear Wall Connector. The charger is inside the car, already. The HPWC or UMC (Universal Mobile CONNECTOR) simply switch the power through to the car - same as the CHAdeMO adapter.

Well, not quite the same as the CHAdeMO adapter. The UMC and HPWC are pretty much glorified extension cords. The CHAdeMO adapter needs to be smarter. I think it's doing something like simulating a CAN bus.

The HPWC is a High Power Wall Connector that will pass up to 20 kW to the car, but is more typically closer to 19 kW with North American household Voltages (240V*80A=19.2kW). That is still not too bad.

Sorry, I read somewhere it was Max 14 kW... My mistake. And yes, know all about the charger discussion... It is inside the car... Here in Europe the ones outside are all called chargers... Here we have 3 phase power, so we do not get such high amp on a single phase. 240 volt is in any household. We get 22kW on that.

Sorry again for me getting it wrong

Well, not quite the same as the CHAdeMO adapter. The UMC and HPWC are pretty much glorified extension cords. The CHAdeMO adapter needs to be smarter. I think it's doing something like simulating a CAN bus.
The CHAdeMO adapter is also DC and so by-passes the charger(s) in the car. That way it can inject whatever the charging unit supports, say 50KW typically (ie about half the supercharger rate).

It does, however, have to handle protocol conversions as others have said which means it has both hardware and firmware inside it. Combine that with regulatory differences in each region and I can see this is quite an engineering challenge for TMC. I just hope they crack it soon because it would be a much better complement to superchargers than using Type 2 (the standard in Europe and quite a lot of other places) which is at best only one quarter of the supercharger speed.

The CHAdeMO adapter is also DC and so by-passes the charger(s) in the car. That way it can inject whatever the charging unit supports, say 50KW typically (ie about half the supercharger rate).

It does, however, have to handle protocol conversions as others have said which means it has both hardware and firmware inside it. Combine that with regulatory differences in each region and I can see this is quite an engineering challenge for TMC. I just hope they crack it soon because it would be a much better complement to superchargers than using Type 2 (the standard in Europe and quite a lot of other places) which is at best only one quarter of the supercharger speed.

And some CHAdeMO chargers seem to be stressed by the continuous load of a Tesla. If the CHAdeMO protocol provides make/model info of the charger on the interface, maybe Tesla is working on some backoff settings to try and keep the chargers from stressing out. Also, in AC charging, the user can dial the car back from maximum offered power (current), maybe the user needs this option with the CHAdeMO adapter.

On Friday Tesla Japan gave me a firmware update of the CHAdeMO adapter. I wasn't told what kind of bugs or incompatibilities were fixed. The update needs to be done offline, so they updated the adapter while my car was at Totsuka SC (the only SC in Japan) for TPMS fix.

BTW they took two hours to come to my office in central Tokyo in a nice loaner Model S
, drove my Model S two hours back to the SC. On the next day they drove my Model S to Tokyo and drove the loaner back to the SC. Each takes two hours, total of 8 hours to take care of only one customer. I still don't understand the location of the SC...

On Friday Tesla Japan gave me a firmware update of the CHAdeMO adapter. I wasn't told what kind of bugs or incompatibilities were fixed. The update needs to be done offline, so they updated the adapter while my car was at Totsuka SC (the only SC in Japan) for TPMS fix.

BTW they took two hours to come to my office in central Tokyo in a nice loaner Model S
, drove my Model S two hours back to the SC. On the next day they drove my Model S to Tokyo and drove the loaner back to the SC. Each takes two hours, total of 8 hours to take care of only one customer. I still don't understand the location of the SC...

They should be putting your car on a flatbed trailer, they should not be driving it for two hours.

Oh for heaven's sake. Tesla is not Ferrari or Rolls Royce or Bentley. They're selling a $80-120K cars, not $200K cars. They already have 3-5x the sales volume of high end companies and are growing rapidly. And they want to move into the $35-$50K market whereas the high-end companies don't.

So it's unrealistic and unfair to compare Tesla to high-end companies that routinely put cars on a flatbed. And send the flatbed out to your house to pick up your car for service. Which happens if you drop $250K on a Ferrari.

For the rest of us, I will say I've gotten ridiculously better service from Tesla than say, BMW. BMW never valeted my car to my house because their equipment broke, slipping their deadlines and I didn't have time to pick up the car. BMW also never ever ever sent a repair technician out to a hotel to fix a stuck glove box while I was on vacation.

Oh for heaven's sake. Tesla is not Ferrari or Rolls Royce or Bentley. They're selling a $80-120K cars, not $200K cars. They already have 3-5x the sales volume of high end companies and are growing rapidly. And they want to move into the $35-$50K market whereas the high-end companies don't.

So it's unrealistic and unfair to compare Tesla to high-end companies that routinely put cars on a flatbed. And send the flatbed out to your house to pick up your car for service. Which happens if you drop $250K on a Ferrari.

For the rest of us, I will say I've gotten ridiculously better service from Tesla than say, BMW. BMW never valeted my car to my house because their equipment broke, slipping their deadlines and I didn't have time to pick up the car. BMW also never ever ever sent a repair technician out to a hotel to fix a stuck glove box while I was on vacation.

I hate to disagree with you, but my car has been flatbedded back to service almost every time - and service is only 50 miles away. I expressed my preference and this is what they do for me, although a couple of times I did drop the car off myself. $100,000 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on any car, so why wouldn't you have higher expectations?