Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree on the brilliance of having it in Japan first.
OK, they've had it for a day. Can we get it now, please?
Just last weekend on the Oregon coast this would have been great to have in my 60. We made it work without but still...

Oh, heck. Let 'em test it for two days and then SHIP IT BABY. I really could have used the adapter today - emergency 350 mile road trip where about 75 miles was going out of the way to hit the Ellensburg SC (which was completely ICE free).

This is one of our first two installed Nissan units, installed July 2014, and they can't go very long without maintenance. No, it's not a particularly dusty area of the Marriott Courtyard hotel in Orange County, California.

Some places don't maintain their units. If I pack a screwdriver, compressed air, and a vacuum, can I do it myself? Can the public buy spare air filters?

Some places don't maintain their units. If I pack a screwdriver, compressed air, and a vacuum, can I do it myself? Can the public buy spare air filters?

Well, actually... there is a contracted service specifically maintaining those filters. Clearly, those need more service.

Please don't work on or "maintain" equipment that isn't yours. Report problems to the charge station network or directly to the owner. Thanks.

I would suggest against doing that. This will open you up to bearing liability if anything goes wrong with the equipment and you might even be accused of "tampering" with it.

I wasn't really serious about opening the unit (I guess I should have been more clear about that). I'll stick to taking kinks out of poorly wound charging cables. However, dealers not maintaining DCQC stations is something NADA might want to address if they want to keep insisting the dealer model is better than the Tesla one.

I found this Adapter in the wild scene, taken 6-1-2014, on Plugshare site "Ray's Main Sales" east of Modesto. The CHAdeMo looks like a Sumitomo.

ChademoAdapterChrg.jpg

I wasn't really serious about opening the unit (I guess I should have been more clear about that). I'll stick to taking kinks out of poorly wound charging cables. However, dealers not maintaining DCQC stations is something NADA might want to address if they want to keep insisting the dealer model is better than the Tesla one.

Nissan chargers have fixable and non fixable problems. There is a overheating issue which shuts down the charger. This can easily fixed by "us" as you just need to clean the air inlet filter on the bottom back on the charger. The non fixable problem is the fact that the "morons" who developed this charger did put the electronics behind BLACK METAL, so if the charger sits in the sun(like most do) it gets hot AND as this would not be bad enough the max operation temp is 104 degrees on the first generation chargers !!

There are more horrible chademo's than good ones. The best I saw so far are the ABB units which look most professional, have a USEFUL display (most the other are unreadable in daylight) and seem to work without issues. Made in northern Europe, no wonder :)

I encourage anybody to drive by a Nissan dealer and take a look at the Chademo plug and the cable ! It's a JOKE and makes one appreciate Musk's Tesla team !

9c01d51359a97892d874ecbc54768e29.jpg

Testing CHAdeMO adapter at Yebisu Garden Place parking at B4F.

f334d7dc6a9db7f2771af35114a5531d.jpg

Connect the adapter to the charger cable, read the charger instructions, connect the adapter to the Model S, then quickly start the charging by pressing the button on the charger. The car quickly times out!

7a23d51e128ad57c027d5662490a8d65.jpg

Charger screen (Hasetec).

08b516ce17afddc566998720c1308b10.jpg

Model S screen at 22kW. The charger is 25kW type, so it seems 3kW loss??

Very, very jealous. Seriously. I my need to borrow one the last week of October if Indio SC not in place, anyone willing to send me one to use for a week? I'll cover all costs of shipping both ways.

Very good point.

With a strong supercharger buildout and CHAdeMO adapter, one could make an argument that in-car chargers above 10 kW are overkill/unnecessary for many regions if you car has supercharging enabled.

Well, perhaps in more dense areas but if you look at the Cascade Loop which has a couple of chademos (Leavenworth and Wenatchee) and lots of CS-90s (70 Amp HAL2), having dual chargers still makes a lot of sense. I'd rather charge up in Mazama at 16.8KW (70 Amp) than drive all the way down to Wenatchee (113 miles) to get a fast charge at 25KW or even 40KW. If chademos get sprinkled every 20 miles or so, then the argument is defensible. But, I'm happy having 20KW charging capability even with lots of chademos out there.

Very good point.

With a strong supercharger buildout and CHAdeMO adapter, one could make an argument that in-car chargers above 10 kW are overkill/unnecessary for many regions if you car has supercharging enabled.

That certainly applies in the UK: almost all of the the public chargepoints that support 22kW take the form of a unit that has two cables: 42kW AC on one side, and 50kW CHAdeMO on the other side (and sometimes a third head for CCS). Remaining public charging is mostly 7kW (plus an embarrasing number of rather pointless 2kW).

So at the moment dual chargers are essential, but once the CHAdeMO adapter comes out the dual chargers become almost pointless (very few people have enough power at home for more than 7kW charging).

OTOH, things may change - these expensive units were mostly grant-supported, and 22kW AC is much cheaper to install for businesses installing their own charging.

I got the dual chargers, aware that I was probably wasting my money. Time will tell...