Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
European design studios for MS now have the possibility to order the chademo adapter together with the car. 950 EUR.
This probably means a european version should be available in the october time frame at least since delivery times for new orders are still 4 months for P85 prioritized delivery.

It was available to order with the car already in February-March, but was later removed again. In March or so it was still possible to select it when you had ordered and went to change your config, there the option for CHAdeMO adapter existed. And I've seen Tesla offers for used cars that had CHAdeMO adapter listed in the options and the car could have been delivered within a week (though I'm guessing the CHAdeMO adapter would have been delivered when available).

European design studios for MS now have the possibility to order the chademo adapter together with the car. 950 EUR.
This probably means a european version should be available in the october time frame at least since delivery times for new orders are still 4 months for P85 prioritized delivery.

This direct quote from Elon says it all, Elon Musk: Its always the quiet ones - Features - Motoring - The Independent:

"I say something, and then it usually happens. Maybe not on schedule, but it usually happens."​

It was available to order with the car already in February-March, but was later removed again. In March or so it was still possible to select it when you had ordered and went to change your config, there the option for CHAdeMO adapter existed. And I've seen Tesla offers for used cars that had CHAdeMO adapter listed in the options and the car could have been delivered within a week (though I'm guessing the CHAdeMO adapter would have been delivered when available).

I know. But re-adding it only seems logical if you know you can deliver. I don't think they will do the same mistake twice.

I'm going to Joshua Tree National park this weekend and since the Indigo Super Charger is not ready, the CHAdeMO at the Desert Hills Outlet Mall would make the trip significantly easier. I might end up at the Palms Springs Service Center, but that is quite a bit out of my way and slower than the CHAdeMO.
Another option you might have considered is the HPWC at Chiriaco Summit, not too far beyond S. entrance to Joshua Tree NP.

Another option you might have considered is the HPWC at Chiriaco Summit, not too far beyond S. entrance to Joshua Tree NP.
Thanks. We ended up going to Jumbo Rock Campground, which more on the north side.

The service center worked great. My son and I walked down the street, ate a nice dinner and watched a movie. When we got back we had a full charge. That was enough to drive to Jumbo Rock, then all the way home on Sunday with no further charging needed.

Next time will be even easier, when the Indio Super Charger is active.

tree.jpg
camp.jpg

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party re: the CHAdeMO adapter, guys. Wasn't following the news (or lack thereof) because I didn't know of a single CHAdeMO station.

However, recently a key SCH level-2 charger on my cross-Canada trip I have planned later this summer was replaced by a CHAdeMO station. It was the only high-powered L2 in the region, so I really needed it. Looks like I'll have to pony up the cash for the adapter, if it's even available by August. :mad:

Even though I'm on the wait list, I'm thinking I won't buy one now.

It would be nice to have for our road trip this summer -- would give optionality when in CA, OR, WA and BC. But after the trip, I don't think we'd really use it much -- perhaps once a year in SoCal... But the Supercharger buildout otherwise covers most of our needs...

I sent a note asking for an outlook on availability and received this ( not encouraging):

Hello Mr. Reno,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. Unfortunately, we do not have an update on the CHAdeMO adapter at this time. Your name is on the waitlist, so as soon as it is available, we will contact you. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Tesla is increasingly moving towards not making any promises on timelines. Which is a good thing considering that they tend to be overly optimistic.

Elon probably sets aggressive goals in the (probably somewhat correct) assumption that setting high expectations means things happen sooner. But debugging complex systems is something you really can't do on a fixed schedule. It takes what it takes.

I once was asked by a former boss, "How long will it take to finish debugging?" I told him, "Between two and five months. Two if we don't hit anything unusual; five if we're very unlucky." He was unimpressed and decided it would take two months. It took five. Would have been six except for a lot of overtime.

Doug_G
I must repectfully disagree. I have 40 years experience as an electrical and software engineer. This is not a complex system, granted not simple but not unusually complex. It is a connection between two well defined interfaces. I don't see the potential for difficult debug problems.
At the very least they should take down the coming soon message to set more realistic expectations if delivery is that uncertain.

The two interfaces are anything but well defined. Both are proprietary, both are evolving, and Chademo has several different manufacturers implementing it. That always leads to different interpretations on how to handle corner cases and ill specified elements. And it isn't only software they are testing, It is also electrical hardware and mechanical hardware.

I once was asked by a former boss, "How long will it take to finish debugging?" I told him, "Between two and five months. Two if we don't hit anything unusual; five if we're very unlucky." He was unimpressed and decided it would take two months. It took five. Would have been six except for a lot of overtime.

Yeah, I love it when people ask my opinion and then ignore my answer.

Doug_G
I must repectfully disagree. I have 40 years experience as an electrical and software engineer. This is not a complex system, granted not simple but not unusually complex. It is a connection between two well defined interfaces. I don't see the potential for difficult debug problems.
At the very least they should take down the coming soon message to set more realistic expectations if delivery is that uncertain.

Sorry, I only have 30 years experience as an electrical and software engineer so I clearly have no clue.

Look at how chademo actually works and I think you'll change your opinion on that. It's not a good "standard" IMHO.

Even the simple-minded J1772 standard is problematic in the real world because it doesn't adequately constrain the implementation in terms of timing, etc., so getting a station to work with all vehicles, and vice-versa, can be a challenge.

Even the simple-minded J1772 standard is problematic in the real world because it doesn't adequately constrain the implementation in terms of timing, etc., so getting a station to work with all vehicles, and vice-versa, can be a challenge.

Yes, there were a bunch of L2 Eaton stations last year that would work with 2011-2012 LEAFs, but not with 2013s. Eventually, Eaton issued a firmware upgrade to correct the problem, but did not own up to an error. Instead, they stated that both the '13 LEAF and the charging stations respected J1772 standards, but that there was enough gray area in the standard for incompatibility to arise.

Sorry, I only have 30 years experience as an electrical and software engineer so I clearly have no clue.

However, for that you might have to move you own post to snippiness, though.