Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Last night I received the 2019.24.4 software update for our Model 3. So this morning I tested Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter to determine the rate of charge, and see how many miles I’d get and how long it would take to charge from a given SOC. Summary: 45 minutes gave me 139 miles of rated range and cost $8.69. Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter is easy to use and provides more charging options for the Model 3.

IMG_4564.jpg
A DC charger at a charging station in Sacramento.

This site where I charged has one DC charger with dual plugs to charge EVs with either CHAdeMO or CCS charging ports. It can charge one car at a time, delivers a maximum of 125 amps, and provides maximum power approaching 50 kW depending on factors such as state of charge, battery pack temperature, etc. I arrived at the station with 126 miles of rated range – 39% SOC – in our long range RWD Model 3.

Start-1024x302.jpg
I arrived at the station with 126 miles of range / 39% SOC.

If you haven’t used CHAdeMO chargers before the plugs are substantial, and by that I mean big. But using the adapter, while not dead simple like a Supercharger, was straightforward and easy: I removed the CHAdeMO plug from its holster on the charger, connected it to Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter, and plugged the adapter into the Model 3’s charging port.

This station is operated by Greenlots. To start a charging session you either call their 1-800 number, use the Greenlots phone app, or a Greenlots RFID card. I have a Greenlots account and their RFID key fob so I held the key fob next to the labeled sensor on the charger and it verified my account. The charger provides you with easy to follows instructions. I pressed the button to select the CHAdeMO plug, and then pressed the button again to start the charging session.

Adapter-and-Greenlots-1024x489.jpg
I connected Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter to the charger plug, plugged the adapter into my Model 3 charge port, and used an RFID card to start the charging session.

The charger delivered 22.8 kWh in the first 30 minutes, providing about 90 miles of rated range.

30Minutes-1024x322.jpg
This DC charger sent 23 kWh to the Model 3 in 30 minutes, adding 90 miles of rated range to the pack.

The session started with the charger delivering 42 kW when the battery pack was at 39%. The power slowly increased, hitting 49 kW when the battery pack reached 80% SOC. I didn’t charge long enough to see where the taper would begin, but I’m guessing that would be in the range of 80-85% SOC.

It took a total of 45 minutes to go from 39% to 81% SOC. This included the time it took me to plug in and initiate the session. In 45 minutes the charger delivered 33.7 kWh (according to Greenlots), adding 139 miles of rated range to the pack.

StartandFinish-1024x375.jpg
The charging session started with the charger delivering 42 kW at 39% SOC, and the power slowly increased hitting 49 kW when the battery reached 80% SOC.

At this location Greenlots charges 25¢ per kWh, plus taxes and a 35¢ session fee. Total cost for this charge was $8.69, so just under 26¢ per kWh, which is comparable to the cost of using a Supercharger. The cost of using CHAdeMO chargers varies depending on the network that operates the station.

CHAdeMO charging stations are not Superchargers, yet. Some of the new stations coming online provide more than 125 amps, but I believe Tesla’s current CHAdeMO adapter will accept no more than 125 amps (please correct me if I’m wrong). CHAdeMO chargers don’t span the entire country, and generally don’t have as many charging stalls per site compared to most Supercharger locations. But some regions of the country have a good number of CHAdeMO charging locations that support EV drivers. So while 139 miles in 45 minutes is slower than a Supercharger, it’s better than L2 charging. Most importantly this gives us more charging options for road trips and regional travel.

I’ve used this station before to charge our 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV, thanks to Tony Williams’ CHAdeMO charging port, JdeMO. Adding the CHAdeMO charging port to our Rav4 EV expanded the horizons of that car, and I expect the CHAdeMO adapter to come in handy for our Model 3. I don’t expect to use it for local charging, but plan to use the adapter on longer trips we have planned.

Rav.jpg
Quick charging my 2012 Rav4 EV at this station several years ago.

If you are new to EVs and want to know how to find CHAdeMO charging stations, Plugshare is a very good resource. Go to that website (or download the phone app), click on the filter tab, and select CHAdeMO (or any other type of charger) to find charging locations near you.

CHAdeMOAtlanta-1024x543.jpg
Screen shot from the Plugshare.com website showing the location of CHAdeMO charging stations in the Atlanta area.

Final note: In the United States the two non-Tesla DC charging standards are CHAdeMO and CCS. The CHAdeMO charging standard was designed and promoted by Japanese power companies and auto manufacturers including Nissan and Mitsubishi. The Nissan Leaf, which came on the market in 2010, is the best selling EV with the CHAdeMO port. Other auto manufacturers use the CCS DC charging standard. Cars with the CCS port include the Chevy Bolt EV, BMW i3, VW e-Golf, and other European made EVs coming on the market. Ultimately cars with a CCS port will outnumber those with CHAdeMO. At some point Tesla may sell a CCS adapter for use in the United States, but there’s no indication of that yet.

This guest post from Steve Noctor originally appeared on his blog It’s Electric

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thrilled with my CHAdeMO adapter. Living in the SF Bay Area I've got the free "Drive The ARC" app which allows me free CHAdeMO charging at specific locations. And I love going to Portland Oregon. I love Portland, but without CHAdeMO charging as a visitor in Portland is difficult. L2 isn't fast enough, and CHAdeMO is super prevalent in the Pacific Northwest.

I'm thrilled with my CHAdeMO adapter. Living in the SF Bay Area I've got the free "Drive The ARC" app which allows me free CHAdeMO charging at specific locations. And I love going to Portland Oregon. I love Portland, but without CHAdeMO charging as a visitor in Portland is difficult. L2 isn't fast enough, and CHAdeMO is super prevalent in the Pacific Northwest.
Yep, there's a bizillion CHAdeMO chargers in the NW. On the other hand, a fully charged LR can almost drive across Oregon or Washington on one charge and there are enough SuperChargers to make sure you aren't stranded.

I live in PNW and just purchased the CHAdeMO adapter from a member here. We have a ton of chargers on the West Coast: West Coast Green Highway: West Coast Electric Highway.

While there are lots of super chargers in the NW some of the places I travel don't have them. It's always nice to have more charging options open to you.

I tried the adapter on a Blink station tonight and it plugged into the charging station / car without issue. I used the blink app and was charging in about a minute. The whole thing was more involved than a supercharger but comparable to using a J1772 public charging station.

On my SR+ at 68% SoC I was receiving 38KW and 175mi/hr. Compare this to home where I get 7KW and 32mi/hr. Not sure how much faster it'd if my battery was at a lower SoC. I plan on using this adapter as third priority after home charging and super charging.

Pros:
Fast charging in places not served by super chargers.
Considerably faster than J1772 charging.

Cons:
Adapter is physically large and awkward to position.
Adapter is expensive for a device that may be infrequently used.
Fast charging can be expensive depending on network.
Limited to 50KW charging.
CCS seems to be catching on in USA and overtaking CHAdeMO in popularity.

Price:
Home - 6.9 cents kWh
SuperCharger - 28 cents kWh
Blink CHAdeMO - 49 cents kWH

I get about 230 wH/mi on my Model 3.

At 49 cents kWH the price to drive a mile is about 11 cents.
At a Super Charger 6.66 cents a mile.
At home I'm only paying 1.64 cents a mile.
(This is all back of napkin math)

A Prius getting 54 MPG and paying $2.70 per gallon the cost to drive a mile is 5 cents. BUT A LOT LESS FUN!

Summary:
Overall very pleased with the adapter and happy to have another charging option. Hopefully CCS adapter comes out for North America. If it does then almost any charging station would be available for charging!

Last edited:
I live in PNW and just purchased the CHAdeMO adapter from a member here. We have a ton of chargers on the West Coast: West Coast Green Highway: West Coast Electric Highway.

While there are lots of super chargers in the NW some of the places I travel don't have them. It's always nice to have more charging options open to you.

I tried the adapter on a Blink station tonight and it plugged into the charging station / car without issue. I used the blink app and was charging in about a minute. The whole thing was more involved than a supercharger but comparable to using a J1772 public charging station.

On my SR+ at 68% SoC I was receiving 38KW and 175mi/hr. Compare this to home where I get 7KW and 32mi/hr. Not sure how much faster it'd if my battery was at a lower SoC. I plan on using this adapter as third priority after home charging and super charging.

Pros:
Fast charging in places not served by super chargers.
Considerably faster than J1772 charging.

Cons:
Adapter is physically large and awkward to position.
Adapter is expensive for a device that may be infrequently used.
Fast charging can be expensive depending on network.
Limited to 50KW charging.
CCS seems to be catching on in USA and overtaking CHAdeMO in popularity.

Price:
Home - 6.9 cents kWh
SuperCharger - 28 cents kWh
Blink CHAdeMO - 49 cents kWH

I get about 230 wH/mi on my Model 3.

At 49 cents kWH the price to drive a mile is about 11 cents.
At a Super Charger 6.66 cents a mile.
At home I'm only paying 1.64 cents a mile.
(This is all back of napkin math)

A Prius getting 54 MPG and paying $2.70 per gallon the cost to drive a mile is 5 cents. BUT A LOT LESS FUN!

Summary:
Overall very pleased with the adapter and happy to have another charging option. Hopefully CCS adapter comes out for North America. If it does then almost any charging station would be available for charging!
Try an EVGo or another brand like charge point.

Fred

I plan on using this adapter as third priority after home charging and super charging.
I think that's the right perspective on this. I see lots of people griping about different aspects of CHAdeMO: It's slower than Superchargers. It's more expensive than home charging. etc.
But this fits the niche that it needs to fit. There are some places that don't have Superchargers, and it's a damn sight faster than the super slow 6kW of a J1772 or trying to find a 14-50 outlet.

Many fewer EVgo and ChargePoint in PNW than CA.
Yeah. When I went to Seattle a couple years ago for a concert for a couple of days, Issaquah hadn't been built, so there were no Superchargers within the city or suburbs, and I was staying at an AirBNB house, so no real overnight charging all that available, but I had looked up on Plugshare what was available for CHAdeMO, and there were several Blink stations spread in several convenient locations around the city and not many others from other charging networks very convenient to where I was. Having the station in the place you need it matters the most, so you do want to check ahead to see if you need to create an account for Blink or Greenlots or Semacharge, or whatever.

... On the other hand, a fully charged LR can almost drive across Oregon or Washington on one charge and there are enough SuperChargers to make sure you aren't stranded.

Not really, nope. Try going from Ontario OR or any other location on Oregon's east side to any location on the Oregon coast in a LR M3 on a single 100% charge. It can’t be done because of the distance & elevation crossing the Cascades. Even getting from Ontario to the Bend Supercharger is tenuous & we supplement with L2 charging in Burns OR to even get to Bend with a reasonable reserve, much less all the way to the coast. Same for E-W in Washington State.

As I expected the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is now SOLD OUT. I was expecting this to happen sooner when the Model 3 firmware was released that made it finally work. I now think the cause of the sell out is this

"Tesla Model 3 gets stellar reviews after initial test drives in Japan" Aug. 16, 2019

Tesla Model 3 gets stellar reviews after initial test drives in Japan

Japanese Tesla Model 3 customers stocking up for their future deliveries!

As I expected the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is now SOLD OUT. I was expecting this to happen sooner when the Model 3 firmware was released that made it finally work. I now think the cause of the sell out is this

"Tesla Model 3 gets stellar reviews after initial test drives in Japan" Aug. 16, 2019

Tesla Model 3 gets stellar reviews after initial test drives in Japan

Japanese Tesla Model 3 customers stocking up for their future deliveries!

Good theory, but I believe all Japanese Teslas are delivered with a CHAdeMO adapter.

Good theory, but I believe all Japanese Teslas are delivered with a CHAdeMO adapter.
Can you post your sources? The CHAdeMo adapter is offered as an accessory available to buy in Japan and not that it is standard. Wouldn't think it would first be standard on a $100,000 Model X first which it has never been included as a standard included with purchase for any Tesla no matter the price.

Just to confirm I'm not misreading:
A CHAdeMO adapter produced before 2018 (i.e. for S, X) is working perfectly now for you on your Model 3?

Can confirm, I am using a two year old one from an S I bought used on my 2019 and SR. I maxed out at 46kW. Sadly chademo is significantly better for me because whenever I wanna use a supercharger there's too many damn people and I'm stuck charging at 24kW.

I kept my CHAdeMO adapter from my S and tried it out on the 3 last week. Confirmed it works. I used an EVgo charger near me. Not sure if there was a problem with the car or the charger, but charging stopped 2x -- after about 15 min and again after 10 min. I didn't stopped charging 5-8 min after the second restart.

My adapter was purchased in spring 2016 for use on a road trip that took us off the Supercharger highway at the time. We used it for 4 charges on that trip (Oregon coast and parts of BC before Superchargers opened along that route). It came in handy on a trip to Ottawa, ON in 2017 (we seem to have a knack for taking road trips to places shortly before Superchargers open)... I don't think it will get much use in the 3, but doesn't hurt to keep it in the trunk...

Reactions: KJD
I also plan to drive to Vegas in about a month, and Supercharger is St. George, UT is way off the highway, but there is a CHAdeMO literally 30 seconds away from an exit. Since I will be still at pretty high SOC, charge rates should be about the same, but I will save about 20 minutes of driving.
If the CHAdeMO charger you're talking about is the one located in the Walmart parking lot, it hasn't been activated yet.

You do have another option... PM me when you're going to pass through St. George, and I'll let you use my Wall Connector (it's on a 100 amp breaker as I plan to add a second one) for free. I can run you out for dinner or lunch while your car charges.

New Electrify America Stations popping up all over San Diego, this one at Fashion Valley. Worked great, no issues and didn’t have to turn off the car at all. EVGo still doesn’t work at all, Electrify America seems to be the goto CHAdeMO Charger here in San Diego.

071DC5BD-49D0-4E5E-ADC9-137D9D2808B4.jpeg

BF8E3A0D-5464-4F04-BD32-E8988AA57233.jpeg
51DF95B2-4C8C-4D0B-B3C3-B85ABC93F639.jpeg

Well today it was less expensive to charge at Electrify America than at home. Today is a peak surcharge day, at 41 cents/kwh from 2pm to 7pm (in exchange you get 5 cents the other 19 hours). I arrived at 2PM but had to leave again before 7pm, I charged up using 21 KWH for $7.04 including tax (and $1 start fee). Essentially I paid 33.5 cents per KWH, less than I would have had to have done at home. I was able to do it in about 27 minutes. I did some quick shopping at Walmart while waiting. Essentially I got almost 2 hours of home charging in.