Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT words did I put into your mouth? I'm NOT defending them. Good god. I've said multiple times that communication should have been better. I've said multiple times that people who ordered during the time of the switch should talk to Tesla. I merely started by saying that 'bait and switch' was being used improperly. Stop with the drama.
I haven’t used that other phrase you mentioned "bait and switch" Doesn’t that mean to show and advertise one product and then sell and deliver another or am I missing something? I apologize, technically you weren’t putting words in my mouth. I do know where you were going though. You were inferring that if I made my reservations on the first day, since I couldn’t see the interior then I would not have been misled. I wonder if more people would have canceled earlier if Tesla wasn't misleading by promoting the 3 with the better materials than they intended to deliver. If they hadn’t promoted the product inaccurately in the first place this discussion wouldn’t be taking place. You say they could have communicated better but that is quite an understatement when Tesla says not delivering what the promoted was their plan all along.

Your eyes are def better than mine. I just went in the configurator and looked at the interior. Pretty hard to tell what the interior material is from the photo. Okay, I could tell it wasn't an F40. :) But really, you can tell it's alcantara from this photo?

View attachment 274983
Holy crap! Now they're selling Model 3's with no passenger side doors or B pillar!

Just saw this one.....Pretty clear it's Alcantara...
View attachment 274997
That's a login screen. That doesn't count. What counts is what is shown in the design studio and what it says on your options list.

Regarding bait-and-switch, it's only bait-and-switch if you ORDERED one thing and got another. Or if Tesla allowed you to configure your car, but on the day of delivery, told you that the car you ordered was not actually available but tried to sell you a more expensive car. Unless you specifically ordered Alcantara/Ultra-suede and got cloth, I don't see how this could be considered bait-and-switch.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I tend to be wrong now and then.

If one made a reservation. A reservation that is completely refundable if the car that is put into production is not the car that you put your deposit in for. So if the car had three wheels and was a tricycle you could get your money back. You wanted extra vegan seats, and only regular vegan was available. You can walk with $1k back in a couple weeks. That is the way I understand it.

When one gets to configure the car. Or the next step we go to money changing hands that is not refundable. That is the only group that can really claim bait and switch. That is it. How many people we talking. Like 2,000 tops since the change. A change that has been talked about at nausea level. People have been informed. Information has been disseminated. I also believe that Tesla has said to the people that money has changed hands they could walk with full refund. New folks really can't say anything on configuration. Those people now know the option they have.

If you have not been asked to configure or decided to pass until the car you want with the options you have the opportunity to leave. Say C-ya. Run with that money of yours and say this is not the car I thought it was going to be because of fabric. That is cool.

If one made a reservation. A reservation that is completely refundable if the car that is put into production is not the car that you put your deposit in for. So if the car had three wheels and was a tricycle you could get your money back. You wanted extra vegan seats, and only regular vegan was available. You can walk with $1k back in a couple weeks. That is the way I understand it.

When one gets to configure the car. Or the next step we go to money changing hands that is not refundable. That is the only group that can really claim bait and switch. That is it. How many people we talking. Like 2,000 tops since the change. A change that has been talked about at nausea level. People have been informed. Information has been disseminated. I also believe that Tesla has said to the people that money has changed hands they could walk with full refund. New folks really can't say anything on configuration. Those people now know the option they have.

If you have not been asked to configure or decided to pass until the car you want with the options you have the opportunity to leave. Say C-ya. Run with that money of yours and say this is not the car I thought it was going to be because of fabric. That is cool.
You seem to overlook that Tesla inconvenienced potential buyers by accepting money from them with the promise of delivering one product Tesla says they never intended to deliver. There are consumer protection devices in place to protect buyers when a dealer or in this case a direct sale manufacturer delivers a different product from the one they advertised for sale. Tesla may not be refunding the $2500 non refundable portion of the fee based only on good will. The NADA doesn’t like Tesla and would probably love if Tesla decided to withhold funds from buyers in this circumstance. I was one of the buyers that only had 2 weeks till delivery that felt the take it or leave it option was not the way to treat a loyal Tesla supporter. I actually feel that under these circumstances when given a take it or leave it option that really only gives only one option and that is leave to it. I think you have to show some respect for yourself if the seller doesn’t. "Like 2,000 tops since the change. A change that has been talked about at nausea level" may be your opinion but realistically if 2000 people were wronged the number of posts here is very small.

Last edited:
Reactions: fmcotton and zmarty

Show me the promise made to non-configures. The way someone feels is much different than actual harm.

Tesla may not be refunding the $2500 non refundable portion of the fee based only on good will.

Are you saying Tesla did not offer you your money back? Kind of confused on that statement. They are or aren't they? I have yet to hear of someone not getting the funds back due to this issue. Or are you surmising that Tesla is afraid the BBB will come down on them if they don't? That is kind of a stretch.

Let's hear more from actual configured that are upset. I would say the number is more like 20.

Where did the NADA come into the Alcantara conversation?

The nausea is my opinion. Just like the feeling it seems you have that the buy it or leave it option was not the way to be treated.

I think Tesla had no other choice. Should they just stop producing cars so you can have your fake suede? I guess they could have. Kind of sounds like a less than smart idea to me.

To go from bottlenecks from batteries to bottlenecks from fake suede would be a laugher of all times. So they said change it. Some will be mad. Less will be mad if they get the car sooner. It really boils down to a business decision.

Just very funny that the people that walk up to me that say the car is so cool, and can it really do all the cool stuff they are saying. I nod my head up and down. I guess I should say what a horrible company they are and how they mistreat the customers that are so loyal.

Care all the world about fake suede. I just think we are all reading more into what will become little or nothing in the future.

I can surely look back in life and say I could have done things differently. Tesla I am sure feels the same way about many decisions. That is how we all learn and grow as people and as companies.

• Love
Reactions: EinSV and bonnie
You seem to overlook that Tesla inconvenienced potential buyers by accepting money from them with the promise of delivering one product Tesla says they never intended to deliver. There are consumer protection devices in place to protect buyers when a dealer or in this case a direct sale manufacturer delivers a different product from the one they advertised for sale.
If you think this is bad, you should have been part of the Model X rollout.

"What would you do with all this space?"
TxqHrWu.png

Turned into a car that only had a folding far back row and not a middle row (upon release). Many of these reservations were Signature ($40k) and were customers who were waiting for a long time. Mine wasn't signature, but I can assure you I was among those disappointed when the car was released with fixed second-row seats.

Tesla has added an option for fold flat. It's not the same as we see here, but they have made that option available. In comparison, a headliner doesn't seem nearly as extreme, but I can tell there are a good handful of people who are significantly disappointed.

At least you're getting the functionality of the vehicle you expected... :)

Okay... so today I had a good look over a new Model S with the black vegan interior and "Suede" in the roof liner. Tesla have clearly CHANGED material and it is NOT Alcantara in the premium interior for X/S. It is a inferior type of Suede from a different supplier. It is way darker than alcantara and almost dark black. I have the "black/grey" Alcantara in my Model S so I know for sure what that looks like. I even have the alcantara on the dash that we all know is removed from new X/S orders since end of July last year. On my spec it is also clearly stated "Black Alcantara headliner". Specing a new car with premium interior just state "Dark headliner".

According to what I saw today it is a downgrade from Alcantara (best way I can describe it is like it feels like fake Alcantara, lol) and I now understand why Tesla have completely removed the wording "Alcantara" from all marketing material and even changed the option codes for X/S. For my car and all earlier X/S the option code for black alcantara headliner is "UTAB", where the AB at the end did stand for "Alcantara Black". Now the option code instead "UTSB" for any new X/S order with Premium black interior. So now it is "Suede Black" instead.

So all in all, Tesla clearly changed supplier of the material for X/S and to my eye (and hand) it is for sure a lower budget material in new X/S than before. Just go into a showroom and find a new build of X/S and you'll see that the Suede is for sure of lower quality than the previous Alcantara. This is probably related to the whole Model 3 Alcantara fars highlighted in this massive thread.

And oh, If I had the choice I would prefer black cloth headliner. That is my favorite among all the pigeons because I'm not so keen on the Alcantara and even less so light headliners :D

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Your eyes are def better than mine. I just went in the configurator and looked at the interior. Pretty hard to tell what the interior material is from the photo. Okay, I could tell it wasn't an F40. :) But really, you can tell it's alcantara from this photo?

Literally the largest picture on the website that stares at you every time you log in to MyTesla. Guess what., it still shows a really nice Alcantara interior. Of course Tesla has purposefully omitted any other pictures of the interior on their website so they can have plausible deniability regarding the bait and switch job they are pulling. Can you name any other car maker that does not have a gallery of exterior and interior photos of the $60,000 cart hey are selling you?

Capture.PNG

I think maybe we're talking past each other.

I've never said the first cars didn't have alcantara. One of my points above was that if you're ordering now, you are not being misled. And immediately that was followed by others claiming that the pictures on the page were misleading. And I am pointing out they updated the pictures and, so, if you are ordering now it is not misleading.

I also suggested that if you have already ordered and the alcantara really matters to you, you should contact Tesla.

Make sense?

The picture on the website as of this post shows Alcantara. It is OK to admitt hat Tesla is wrong here, it really is.

I think maybe we're talking past each other.

I've never said the first cars didn't have alcantara. One of my points above was that if you're ordering now, you are not being misled. And immediately that was followed by others claiming that the pictures on the page were misleading. And I am pointing out they updated the pictures and, so, if you are ordering now it is not misleading.

I also suggested that if you have already ordered and the alcantara really matters to you, you should contact Tesla.

Make sense?

Just checked. All the Model 3 pictures in the Tesla press kit you sign in with tesla1press still have the alcantara like headliner.

Reactions: liuping
According to your signature line, you placed your reservation on 3/31. So you either ordered before the reveal or online that evening. Are you claiming you were misled at the time you placed your reservation?

If you read my post, I agreed that people who have placed an order and are upset it's not alcantara, should contact Tesla before delivery. You're trying to turn my words into blindly defending Tesla. That's unfair and dismissive.

No, he is saying that right now, as of this moment, Tesla is still advertising something they will not deliver. If I got my invite (3/31 line stander) this second and ordered I would be ordering based off a picture that shows Alcantara. Right now.

Reactions: Sunshine State
WHAT words did I put into your mouth? I'm NOT defending them. Good god. I've said multiple times that communication should have been better. I've said multiple times that people who ordered during the time of the switch should talk to Tesla. I merely started by saying that 'bait and switch' was being used improperly. Stop with the drama.

What about people who order today based on the pictures on the website? Literally the ones Tesla is using to promote the car at this very second? Are they allowed to call it a bait and switch or do they just have to take what they are given?

Reactions: Sunshine State

No, people won't know. The number of people following Tesla forums after reserving a Model 3 is miniscule. I work at an Aerospace company and 3 of us stood in line. Aerospace engineers seem like a crowd that would follow very detail of their Tesla, I am the only one out of the 3 that have even bothered to log into MyTesla. They are simply waiting for Tesla to call/email them when it is ready. Most all reservatinosist fall in this camp, or do you think 400,000 people visit this forum?

That's a login screen. That doesn't count. What counts is what is shown in the design studio and what it says on your options list.

Regarding bait-and-switch, it's only bait-and-switch if you ORDERED one thing and got another. Or if Tesla allowed you to configure your car, but on the day of delivery, told you that the car you ordered was not actually available but tried to sell you a more expensive car. Unless you specifically ordered Alcantara/Ultra-suede and got cloth, I don't see how this could be considered bait-and-switch.

This is like something my 5 year old would say when she is trying to outsmart someone, "Nuh-uh that doesn't count!"

What about people who order today based on the pictures on the website? Literally the ones Tesla is using to promote the car at this very second? Are they allowed to call it a bait and switch or do they just have to take what they are given?

Has the car been configured by a reservation holder? If not there is no bait and switch. There is no ordering in the Tesla world. I hate to be nit picky, but a reservation is a spot held to configure. If you are not to that point you have nothing to whine about.

Tesla is pretty straight forward. When it's your time to configure your car. It is based on what Tesla is/are doing at that time S/X/3. It has always been this way folks. Nothing new. If you don't like it, well we will make it when we do. Or here are your funds.

Nice comparing people to 5 year olds. I will bite my tongue on that one.

Your response to me actually made no sense to me. I must be 5 also.

Tesla Model 3 Alcantara
54,000 responses from google
11,500 responses from google news.

Yet no one talks about it. Maybe you and your aero buddies need to get outside of the office a bit more.

@jayhawk3 Got a reservation? Or just shoveling stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.