Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in weather…tire pressure.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Live In chicago and with the change in temperature I always get a low tire pressure.
Yesterday temp 70 …today is 50
Last time was on two different tires then this time.
I could fill them or ignore it
Interestingly enough it never happened with my caddy but does with the Tesla.
I assume I could just ignore it but wanted to hear what you all do.

Thanks

M

This link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_inflation_pressure ) has a nice chart that will show you how much of a difference a temperature change does in your tire pressures. Tires are also not perfectly "airtight" and will lose around 1psi per month. You must adjust for both.

I try to adjust mine on a day that has the average temperature for the period. There are cases where I actually reduce pressure, for example when summer comes in, as temperatures vary quite a bit where I live.

Reactions: 100d
I live in NY and this happens every fall in every car I have ever owned (some seem less sensitive than others). Just had to top mine off a few days ago as a matter of fact.

Colder temps = less dense air = lower tire pressure
Almost right.
Google search "why does tire pressure decrease with colder temperatures":
The main reason for this is the dropping temperatures, which cause the air to become denser and consequently lower the tire pressure.

Reactions: CCopperpot
Costco Nitrogen for the win.

Just take off your black stem covers before you give them the car, so that you can replace the green ones they’ll inevitably put back on, no matter how many times you ask them to leave on the black.
I've found out over the hundreds of thousands of miles I've driven in my life the best mix of air for tires in any vehicle is a mixture of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, .8% argon, and a super small bit of of carbon dioxide, neon, helium, and methane.

I've found out over the hundreds of thousands of miles I've driven in my life the best mix of air for tires in any vehicle is a mixture of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, .8% argon, and a super small bit of of carbon dioxide, neon, helium, and methane.
You don't replace your summer air for winter air?

I just keep my winter air in the winter tires.