TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Changing Model X confirmed order to a Model S order

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Pjjava34, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

Curious if anyone with a confirmed Model X order has inquired about transferring their now non refundable $5000 deposit to a Model S order? With the seemingly slow ramp, my 90D is likely months away and I'm curious if anyone has experience with this situation or has any insight on if tesla would even consider allowing a switch from an X to an S?

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

All you can do is ask. Since your car will not go into production for a number of months and they get a Model S out of it, I am not sure why they would care. They sort of support the concept with their Model S money back or upgrade guarantee.

The car may have to be equal or greater value but that's just a WAG as is my comments above.

3. timf

timf Member

My guess is it'll be handled like any other change order - $500 as long as your Model X isn't already in production.

4. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

Thanks all for the insight. Well I can confirm that Tesla indeed monitors everything on TMC. I just received a voicemail from a Tesla rep who said he saw my post and wanted to guide me through switching from an X to an S if I chose to do so.
    Haven't connected with him yet but I was surprised to see the call directly regarding this thread!

5. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

That's super to hear on both fronts. :smile:

6. Pantoot

Pantoot Member

Please post when you find out the cost.
    I am 50% of my way back to another S rather than the X.

7. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

After speaking with a Tesla rep moments ago, I was just informed any transfer from an X to an S would be no problem. Best of all no change fees involved!

8. proven

proven Member

That's great! I'm wondering though, how did they know who you were?