Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge %age level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm now a couple of months in to Model Y LR ownership with 1500 miles covered. Wondering what level people daily charge to? 80% or 90%? I don't have off street parking so the higher level would be helpful for me but only if it doesn't damage the battery in the long term. My day to day commute in and out of central London takes about 6-8% of battery and then we generally do longer trips at the weekend.

Short answer, all sorts
1667764556259.png

22k miles. 3% degradation according to ABRP.

• Informative
Reactions: Klyde99
90% on my model y, 100% on the mrs model 3 LFP, 80% on my sons 2014 leaf and its a case of whatever on my daughters 2014 bmw i3 (no setting and I believe still stating same stats as from new). Leaf is on 11 bars.

Mrs m3 never really goes down bellow 50%, My Y there abouts to same, sons leaf I would say the same as well and daughters i3 goes down to about 20%. All these figures at most.

I would say stick to what Tesla has set it up for you or whatever you are happy with within what Tesla stated and enjoy life.

I'm now a couple of months in to Model Y LR ownership with 1500 miles covered. Wondering what level people daily charge to? 80% or 90%? I don't have off street parking so the higher level would be helpful for me but only if it doesn't damage the battery in the long term. My day to day commute in and out of central London takes about 6-8% of battery and then we generally do longer trips at the weekend.
The main issue with battery aging is calendar aging, and the higher average state of charge contributes to more aging.

But if you charge to 90% and then don't recharge until 20%, your average state of charge will be substantially lower (i.e. better) than if you charged every day to 90% and recharged at 83% back up to 90%.

Since you don't have personal charging that you could control every night, I would charge as high as you need so you can go a few days without charging. Then recharge back up when you hit 15%-20%. In your case, I would recharge every Friday night so you have plenty of charge for less consistent weekend use. Maybe some weeks you can make it to the next Friday, some weeks not.

The only action you really should go out of your way to avoid, particularly with NMC batteries if that's what's in your car, is charging to 100% and letting it stay there for a significant amount of time. Charging to 100% and immediately driving off as soon as it hits that is OK.

I have a very unique way of charging....and I have solar panels....

I work nights...wed through sat... (my total round trip to work is almost 30% (depending on accidents because I really don't run into traffic at my times)

on wed. night my car is 90% and ready to go
on thursday night it is charged to 80%
on Friday night it is charged to 70%
and on sat it is charged to 65%

On sunday when I come home the battery is around 35% and I'll charge it to 50% (car wash and wax every Sunday :) )
Monday I'm off and I'll charge it from 50% to 70%
tuesday I'll charge it from 70% to 90%

This allows me to spend less money on a daily basis and also maximizes my solar panels for both the car and home use

Assuming it's a brand new MYLR, you may have a LFP battery, which tesla recommends to be charged to 100% once a week to keep good battery health.

As with all Teslas, you will find a 1000 answers in forums, but since they change technology so frequently you need to look at recent discussions and relevant to your car

I'm in the same boat as you with no offstreet parking.
Tesla themselves say daily charging up to approximately 90%, so I usually stick to this as a rule of thumb, but I've heard keeping it between 20% - 80% is best to avoid stressing the battery.

I'm in the same boat as you with no offstreet parking.
Tesla themselves say daily charging up to approximately 90%, so I usually stick to this as a rule of thumb, but I've heard keeping it between 20% - 80% is best to avoid stressing the battery.
Have you checked which battery you have? If you have an LFP battery, then your statement about 90% is wrong. The tesla manual for LFP says charge to 100%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221107_183338_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221107_183338_Chrome.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 86