Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge cost with low mileage driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha, retired plus superchargers? There is only one conclusion I can make from that, and it's total different than how many miles you think you're going to put on it.

Anyways, I'm assuming from your mileage expectation that you're going to get a 60? the 60 actually has the 75KwH battery so there is no need to set the charge limit to 80% like you would do if you had a 75, or a 90.

Just set the limit to 100% (which internally is 80% of the 75kwh battery) and leave it plugged in all the time. As Tesla says "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla".

S4WRXTTCS....Actually I have been planning to buy a used 85kwh model S CPO. The prices are becoming attractive and I would like to have the ability to drive 200 plus miles without charging. Admittedly I don't do this often though. I made a reservation for a Model III but I'm anticipating that will be a couple of years before it happens. If I have a CPO Model S in my garage my wait time in the Model lll queue will be shortened.

Reactions: Macbest
I think bmah is right - you may not need to drive so much, but you may want to.
Happened to me.:)

You may want to be aware of some people's experience with NEMA 14-50 plugs/sockets, and consider a HPWC, especially if you are sold on the Tesla. Melted Charging Adapter/Cord

Thank you for that consideration. I just received a bid from a local electrician to wire my garage for a NEMA 14-50. The bad news for me is my current panel is only 100 amps and due to the house size, etc. they would have to upgrade it to accommodate the addition of the outlet.
Bottom line, approximately $4000 dollars. This is a dilemma. It sure makes an electric car less cost effective for me. I can use a standard 110 outlet, and charge at approx. 5 miles per hour which may suffice for me [I'm a low mileage driver]. I'm not sure I want to settle for that solution though. Drat!

Thank you for that consideration. I just received a bid from a local electrician to wire my garage for a NEMA 14-50. The bad news for me is my current panel is only 100 amps and due to the house size, etc. they would have to upgrade it to accommodate the addition of the outlet.
Bottom line, approximately $4000 dollars. This is a dilemma. It sure makes an electric car less cost effective for me. I can use a standard 110 outlet, and charge at approx. 5 miles per hour which may suffice for me [I'm a low mileage driver]. I'm not sure I want to settle for that solution though. Drat!
You won't regret the upgrade to 200 amps. There is always some new device that will require more circuits.

I would use 110V for a while to see how it plays out for you. BTW you don't have to get a new 50Amps outlet to charge at 220V. It's not the only option... Get a smaller circuit run and use wall connector/EVSE that can be adjusted to lower Amps.

I would use 110V for a while to see how it plays out for you. BTW you don't have to get a new 50Amps outlet to charge at 220V. It's not the only option... Get a smaller circuit run and use wall connector/EVSE that can be adjusted to lower Amps.

Do you mean a 110 outlet by "smaller circuit"? I do have enough load to accommodate another 110 outlet, but I thought I needed a 220 wired outlet. Apparently my 100amp panel is about maxed out with the house size and our other appliances, etc.

No, I mean instead of 220V/50Amp, have electrician bring 30Amp or even 20Amp 220V circuit to the garage. This might allow you to avoid service upgrade at this time.
The available breaker space on the panel is a factor of course, but if there is a room for a single pole breaker, perhaps they can use a thin 2 pole one there as well. EV will charge at night, potentially can be set for late night, so the charging load might not overlap with many appliances. Anyway, I would ask the electrician what size circuit they can add to the garage without changing the service.

Or sunny Sacramento. Off peak (10pm to 4pm in Winter, 12pm to 2pm Summer) is $0.06 per kWh thanks to SMUD!

SMUD is one of the 10 largest public utilities in the country. It's formation was blocked by investor owned PG&E for 25 years!! Finally in 1946 it was formed thanks to the courts. SOOOO glad to be out of the Bay Area and away from PG&E!

Move to the UK for a better saving? :cool:

Off-peak electricity can be similarly as low as $0.09 / kWh but petrol is about $ 6.48 per gallon (although our Imperial Gallon is about 10% bigger than a US Gallon)

Based on you very low use case and high installation you cost you may be fine with the 110V charger. Here is a handy guide ... :cool:

Know_YourPlugs.png

Hi all,

I am in the process of having a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage to home charge a Tesla Model S [yet to be purchased].
I'm retired and I only drive approximately 3k miles per year. The car will sit in the garage for a week or two at a time without being used. When it is used it is most often just very short trips around town.

What would you recommend be the most cost effective charging strategy for me? Would it make sense to leave it unplugged most of the time and only charge it once a week or so? Would that save electricity loss [vampire?] or not?
I have read that leaving the car plugged in all the time when it is parked in the garage is best, but that sounds like it might be overkill, and costly, if I'm only driving it once every week or two.

Thanks in dance for your thoughts.
Based on your very low mileage driving pattern I'd say you should be fine with 110V, especially considering your electrician's quote is so high. Keep the car plugged in and set to some medium level of charge except when you are planning a longer trip - or as was suggested, once a month to 95% to initiate balancing. Once charged to the preset level, if left plugged in the vampire loss is small and won't draw additional charge current from the house for several days - i.e. you won't be continuously drawing power from the house if you don't drive it for several days, but it will start charging again once the level drops a certain amount maybe a few days later. If your electricity rate is lower in evenings, just set an appropriate scheduled charging time in the charging screen.

For reference I've been using 110V at home for almost 8 months (~7100km total). My daily mileage is relatively low and 110V is working out fine. I plug in every day and typically charge to 65-70% at home. An overnight charge even at the very slow 110V rate (+ ~6km/hr), is enough to replenish typical daily use. I do sometimes top-up at one of the many free L2 chargers around town but really only as a convenience (eg free parking downtown while charging), not because I "need" to charge. Longer trips require a bit more planning with 110V at home - e.g. after a long day's driving around town it's possible to need more than 24hrs charge at 110V to charge to 90-100% needed in time to start a road trip the following morning. So in those cases, a couple days prior I might start charging to a higher daily level overnight in preparation (or get some charge at a public L2 the day before).

So yeah 240V would be nice and would eliminate any thinking at all for longer trips, but for low daily mileage 110V is likely ok. Of course as they say YMMV

If you have a electric dryer outlet available in the garage, you might want to use that. I have the old NEMA 10-30 receptacle for which I bought a NEMA 14-50 Adaptor. Tesla advises to charge at a max of 24 amps on a 30 amp circuit. I currently charge at 20 amps with charging set to start at 1am. This easily exceeds my charging requirements. ymmv.

Based on your very low mileage driving pattern I'd say you should be fine with 110V, especially considering your electrician's quote is so high. Keep the car plugged in and set to some medium level of charge except when you are planning a longer trip - or as was suggested, once a month to 95% to initiate balancing. Once charged to the preset level, if left plugged in the vampire loss is small and won't draw additional charge current from the house for several days - i.e. you won't be continuously drawing power from the house if you don't drive it for several days, but it will start charging again once the level drops a certain amount maybe a few days later. If your electricity rate is lower in evenings, just set an appropriate scheduled charging time in the charging screen.

For reference I've been using 110V at home for almost 8 months (~7100km total). My daily mileage is relatively low and 110V is working out fine. I plug in every day and typically charge to 65-70% at home. An overnight charge even at the very slow 110V rate (+ ~6km/hr), is enough to replenish typical daily use. I do sometimes top-up at one of the many free L2 chargers around town but really only as a convenience (eg free parking downtown while charging), not because I "need" to charge. Longer trips require a bit more planning with 110V at home - e.g. after a long day's driving around town it's possible to need more than 24hrs charge at 110V to charge to 90-100% needed in time to start a road trip the following morning. So in those cases, a couple days prior I might start charging to a higher daily level overnight in preparation (or get some charge at a public L2 the day before).

So yeah 240V would be nice and would eliminate any thinking at all for longer trips, but for low daily mileage 110V is likely ok. Of course as they say YMMV

Thank you for the advice. I may decide to just use a NEMA 5-20 outlet on my current 110 volt circuit in the garage [if my wiring can handle it]. If that gets me 4mph and I charge for 8 hours at night I will more than cover an "average" day's needed miles. Since the car tends to sit for a few days to a week at a time without being driven It sounds like I should have it fully charged [80%] most of the time. I'd like to try it this way rather than spend 4k$ and find out later that I don't like the car!

It would be about 17 miles/hr, charging at 24A. Not the best choice though for using the UMC as Tesla no longer makes the 14-30 adapter for the UMC. You could install a HPWC on a 30A circuit and charge at the 24A (17 miles/hr).

I like your suggestion. If my electrician determines that I can only install a 240-20amp in the garage would it still be beneficial to hook it up to a HPWC? What mph might I achieve on this 20 amp outlet?

You will get 11 miles of rated range with 20amp/220v setup, and yes, it does work (and still makes sense) with wall connector.
I have similar setup (3rd party EVSE, not Tesla wall connector), and drive 40 - 50 miles per day. That is easily replenished in a few hours every night.

I like your suggestion. If my electrician determines that I can only install a 240-20amp in the garage would it still be beneficial to hook it up to a HPWC? What mph might I achieve on this 20 amp outlet?
The HPWC has a longer and thicker cord and is hard wired, but I'm not sure if it can be set to as low as 20 amps.

The HPWC has a longer and thicker cord and is hard wired, but I'm not sure if it can be set to as low as 20 amps.

From looking at the on-line manual, it can indeed be configured to work on a 20A circuit (it can even be set for a 15A circuit in fact).

Tesla — Wall Connector with 24' Cable

Click on "Wall Connector Installation Manual", go to p. 21; it shows the different amperages you can configure.

Bruce.

Reactions: AndreSF
From looking at the on-line manual, it can indeed be configured to work on a 20A circuit (it can even be set for a 15A circuit in fact).

Tesla — Wall Connector with 24' Cable

Click on "Wall Connector Installation Manual", go to p. 21; it shows the different amperages you can configure.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce. Your advise has been very helpful. I'm still in a quandary about what to do. My electrician says I am showing 95 amps of my 100 watt panel already accounted for, so even a 240-20 amp outlet might cause my breaker to trip. If so, I'd end up having to upgrade to 200 watts anyway and pay a second time to change the Tesla outlet to 60 amps. I'm tempted to try the 240-20 first since I would be setting the charge time to a few hours in the middle of the night when virtually no other appliances would be in use [if that matters!]. Maybe I should go back to considering a Mercedes i.c.e.!

Thanks Bruce. Your advise has been very helpful. I'm still in a quandary about what to do. My electrician says I am showing 95 amps of my 100 watt panel already accounted for, so even a 240-20 amp outlet might cause my breaker to trip. If so, I'd end up having to upgrade to 200 watts anyway and pay a second time to change the Tesla outlet to 60 amps. I'm tempted to try the 240-20 first since I would be setting the charge time to a few hours in the middle of the night when virtually no other appliances would be in use [if that matters!]. Maybe I should go back to considering a Mercedes i.c.e.!
Yes, charging during the night matters a great deal. You don't just add up the amps of all the circuits to see if you have enough capacity, rather your electrician does a "load calculation" which takes into account when various loads would be used. Unless you're using your electric range or oven or clothes dryer during the night you should be fine.

The key to happiness is installing something at 240V rather than 120V, even if it's only 20A.

If you do install a 240V 20A circuit, you could use the UMC 6-15 adapter which will plug into it. It is designed for 15A circuit so it only pulls 12A, but this would allow you to charge for longer hours without worrying about your electrical supply.

Or just bite the bullet and upgrade to 200A service and install a 14-50 outlet (50A circuit) and charge at 29 mph like most of us do. You'll probably find some other use for the spare capacity some day.