Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charge-gate" on Dec Model S builds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10-second summary: if you have a recent build with poor UMC fit, (a) it might take inhuman extra effort or (b) worse, as in my case, superchargers are impossible to plug because they have a wider connector.

either way, your service center can "resculpt" your port for this issue.

Didn't expect first week of Tesla ownership to involve 4 trips to the service center, but it showcased a very positive (Austin) service experience.

Metallic Blue 75D, built 12/9, delivered 12/22 (early!) Smooth delivery experience, but found charge port extremely difficult to plug UMC, repeated triggering an amber "UMC unlatched", even though the connection seemed fully stuck. A couple of more times it triggered a red ring at the port, and UMC red LED. Breaker resets later and some luck and brute force, it charges overnight.

11pm service call, tech was knowledgable about the fitment issue and tells me it should wear down with use. Other forums confirm this. Fine. Had no idea what gen 2 UMC lights meant and struggled to dig out manual.

Next day (Saturday) skeleton crew Austin SC fits me in before closing. UMC checks out and the red LED assumed to be normal. But uncovered unusual charge port behavior (later found out to be normal). Set up for an appointment next business day. Told them had a 4-day trip planned and needed a loaner.

Fast forward. Amazingly, loaner (100D Model S, late 2017) was available but charged to 75%. Would have had to add an additional stop on way to NOLA anyway so decided to try out the long awaited Austin supercharger. Get there and then act a fool, the cable would not latch. Fellow owner (P85 tho) stumped too. Good thing found this out before getting stranded!

Went back to SC, showed the crew and stumped them too. Most of them couldn't plug in their test supercharger. Yet they had a second (!!) loaner MS 100D with a normally constructed port.

4 days and 1100 miles of mostly AP, results below. Straight off to xpel!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 7.38.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 7.38.25 PM.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 187
Last week I was helping a new owner at Manteca, and it was critical, since his home wasn't wired yet. It wouldn't go in far enough--we tried 4 different stalls---finally with luck and force-it went in. Please everyone--if you have a newer build--please check your connection at a Supercharger before you need it, and still have range to a SC.

This would explain why I’ve gotten the amber ring at two different supercharger locations despite the connector being as firmly seated as it could possibly be and why it takes two hands and a lot of force to remove.

Yes, is is difficult to insert, and doesn’t go far enough to bottom out and make the correct electrical handshake to initiate charging. It is "sticky" to remove, even if partially inserted.

Had same problem with my Dec build. Almost found out the hard way on a road trip for the wife's bday. Coasted into Charlotte service center with 9 miles of charge left after I could not get the supercharger to connect. They said it would be a quick fix, but told them I didn't want to wait for the repair and have no battery charge so they gave me a loaner P85D for the evening and picked up car in the morning. The charge port works 100 times better now.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Had the same issues with a September build. I saw on another thread that the charge port takes time to "break-in". After about 2 weeks of every night charging, it got much easier. I've done 3 superchargers and they are all easy now too. I'd suggest you give it a few weeks and see what happens unless it's as bad as the OP's was where he couldn't get it to charge at all.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Had the same issues with a September build. I saw on another thread that the charge port takes time to "break-in". After about 2 weeks of every night charging, it got much easier. I've done 3 superchargers and they are all easy now too. I'd suggest you give it a few weeks and see what happens unless it's as bad as the OP's was where he couldn't get it to charge at all.

but wouldn't you want a deliberate re-sculpt rather than 2 weeks of randomly distributed friction wear? ;)

Reactions: boaterva
Yep, picked mine up on Dec 8th and it has this problem. Immediately after picking up my wife and I took the car on a ~3500mi road trip and there were a few stops that had me really nervous because I couldn't get it plugged in. I finally just manhandled the hell out of it to get it in each time and we never got stuck, but I'd be damn near out of breath after trying to jam it in there a few times.

Once we got home the SC did the "resculpting" you guys were talking about, which I can only guess involves a Dremel and a cigarette, and it's better I guess but not nearly as easy as my Model X that was built in Sept.

I'm just going to leave it for now, hopefully they get a new supplier or just get them fixed and I can get them to replace it with a correctly sized one in the future.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dholland
Luckily I don’t see much supercharging in my future and my UMC was almost getting easy after just a day, before resculpting. Had them test with their shop supercharger just in case. Would go over it again but xpel is the priority now

Same here! Built 12/12, just took home delivery 2 days ago. Took it to try out the SC today and found this problem. Had another owner there helped us. His was a Sept built and was tight at the beginning too, but not like mine. We were not able to jam it in to make the connection. And pulling it out was almost impossible!!! The charge port was just not compatible. I forgot to take a photo but the supercharger shape is slightly different from my home charging cable. Luckily I did not need the charge. Now I am on my 110v at home getting 4mph. Better than nothing and there is no SvC in my State to even bring this in...

Same issue here but my DS didn't want to deliver my car with this issue so they pushed out my delivery 1 week. I finally took delivery this past Tuesday the 26th and no issues with the charge port. I spoke to the showroom manager and he didn't feel good letting the car go with the potential issue. Once I took delivery of my car, I took it to a Supercharger.....no issues with the charge port what so ever, loving my new toy!!!