Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge place scotland since takeover - all fine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of weird numbers in that report. On average every member makes over 2 phone calls to CPS, but only 2% need a fault raised despite 4% network downtime.

4% is a huge figure for network downtime, people normally work in terms of how many 9s on uptime (99.99 etc). Over the three months they state it will have been down for nearly 4 days.
When I last spoke to an advisor he mentioned that a lot of people just phone to start a charge rather than using the card, app or website. While I was on the phone to him another user did exactly that while she was standing next to me.

The network includes the chargers, not just the back end systems (CPMS). 4% uptime is pretty good given they are reliant on the owners of the chargers to get them fixed. There are two chargers in Glasgow that have been out of action for over a year because a lorry ran over them and GCC are still battling with the insurance company to get them replaced.

The network includes the chargers, not just the back end systems (CPMS). 4% uptime is pretty good given they are reliant on the owners of the chargers to get them fixed. There are two chargers in Glasgow that have been out of action for over a year because a lorry ran over them and GCC are still battling with the insurance company to get them replaced.
So on average every charger is broken for 4 days over 3 months, more than a fortnight a year? That's a woeful figure. Having chargers broken for a year is wildly unacceptable.

While I appreciate that CPS is a strange structure, and largely council operated which somehow excuses poor service, but it's really, really poor compared to the reliable commercial networks. Gridserve have had 99% availability over the last year, that's 4x better.

So on average every charger is broken for 4 days over 3 months, more than a fortnight a year? That's a woeful figure. Having chargers broken for a year is wildly unacceptable.

While I appreciate that CPS is a strange structure, and largely council operated which somehow excuses poor service, but it's really, really poor compared to the reliable commercial networks. Gridserve have had 99% availability over the last year, that's 4x better.
You're making an assumption as to what the uptime figure refers to. I bet the Gridserve availability figure is not the same measurement as the CPS one. Where are the definitions?

GCC don't have wads of money to throw at replacing chargers every time the Tesco lorry driver forgets how long his lorry is - they did it twice at this particular spot. Are you suggesting the council tax payer should fork out for a new charger while the insurance companies battle it out? There are a lot of non-council owned chargers that won't get fixed quickly if at all when they go faulty. CPS have no control over the time it takes to fix faults, so will always have <100% availability.

Gridserve appear mainly to be available in densely populated areas. Anyone who has tried to provide any utility to remote areas knows that the costs and complexity increase exponentially. So the comparison with CPS is hardly valid.

Also note that currently a lot of chargers are still free or very cheap compared to the likes of Gridserve. You pays your money...

Reactions: Adopado