Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Cover Stuck Partially Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 3 weeks ago my charge port cover started not closing completely. After unplugging the port cover "closes" but instead of closing flush it is left partially open. It only fully closes when I go into drive. It sometimes partially opens again when I am in park/car is off.

Any ideas on how to fix this? No idea why it started happening.

chargeport - 1.jpg
chargeport - 2.jpg
chargeport - 1.jpg

OP, I presume your car has been in temps above freezing since this happened? (Your car looks ice covered like ours right now in your pics.) If not, I would probably take a hair dryer to it in my garage first to make sure there wasn't some rogue water and ice expansion happening in the hinge area. Long shot, but can't hurt if the case.

Mine was going the other way. A bit indented and not opening reliably with a physical touch. I had them look at it at a recent service visit. There is apparently a stop adjustment screw. Now it is flush again and opening reliably. That may be the black stopper referred to in and earlier post.

OP, I presume your car has been in temps above freezing since this happened? (Your car looks ice covered like ours right now in your pics.) If not, I would probably take a hair dryer to it in my garage first to make sure there wasn't some rogue water and ice expansion happening in the hinge area. Long shot, but can't hurt if the case.

Yea. Above freezing. I did take those photos after coming back from skiing but the car has been in the 60s and in the single digits and still happens.

I was just hoping it was something simple that I could adjust on my own. It’s weird to me that the car does eventually shut it completely when shifted into drive. So whatever is preventing it from closing on its own is somehow overridden by the car when it matters.

• Helpful
Reactions: skitown