Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First winter with the Tesla. I'm sure it's designed to be fully waterproof and fine the way it is but does anyone use or recommend a charge port cover to prevent water ingress? My car is left on the drive so there will be times when I have no option but charge in heavy rain or snow.

I made up a sleeve, using some thin wetsuit neoprene, that fits tightly around the cable and just hooks over the charge port cover. Rain doesn't seem to be a problem, but I found with my last two cars that snow very definitely can be. When snow gets packed around the open charge port it makes life a bit difficult, but other than being a nuisance to clear, it didn't cause any problems with charging.

I believe there's a commercial version around, that uses magnetic strip to hold the larger end of the sleeve to the bodywork of the car, but can't find a link to it right now.

Reactions: seadog
First winter with the Tesla. I'm sure it's designed to be fully waterproof and fine the way it is but does anyone use or recommend a charge port cover to prevent water ingress? My car is left on the drive so there will be times when I have no option but charge in heavy rain or snow.

It's designed to handle weather so shouldn't be a problem ... the forum would be full of reports if this wasn't the case! I didn't fancy the prospect of digging out deposits of snow that may lodge in the exposed DC contacts when charging at home so I did buy a printed plastic cover. Presumably if you were to just leave the snow it would melt away but I thought I may as well give it some extra protection since it was easy to do.

Reactions: Roy W.
Snow can be a PITA, as when it packs in around the connector, then freezes, it can take a fair bit of faffing around to clear it. It's the reason I made up the sleeve/cover, although both of my last two cars had charge ports that opened sideways, rather than upwards, so that may have made them more susceptible to snow buildup than the Model 3. It's not snowed here since I've had the Tesla, so I can't say whether or not a cover makes sense.

I don't see the point. If the charge port is open for Type 2 charging at home it'll be hours of driving before I'm like to need to CCS charge. I don't know the truth of it but there is supposed to be an airflow from inside the car to dry out the pins, blocking could effect that.

Reactions: HKP_Tom
I don't see the point. If the charge port is open for Type 2 charging at home it'll be hours of driving before I'm like to need to CCS charge. I don't know the truth of it but there is supposed to be an airflow from inside the car to dry out the pins, blocking could effect that.

I think this discussion relates to two different things. The small CCS only cover doesn't do anything useful, IMHO (other than than I printed one up just to house a betalight). The cover I made up some time ago, like the Yeti E-boot, stops snow building up around the plugged in connector. My experience has been that frozen snow build up is a real PITA to remove, as it tends to stop the connector being removed.

The small CCS cover won't help with that at all, but the larger cover definitely does. For anyone likely to leave their car outside, plugged in, when it's snowing, then the larger cover seems a good idea. As for the warm air thing, I doubt very much if the very gentle bit of warm air that blows out would have any sort of impact on a frozen snow build up, or if it did, it would probably take a long time, especially as frozen snow will most likely seal the gaps out of which the air flows.

is that panel steel on the M3?
Yes it is.
That’s the magnetic label from my tea caddy!
F032AF9D-C7C9-48FD-B42A-3C6AAEA0F7B9.jpeg

I took a 3D printed plastic CCS cover and recontoured the top edge with a hot electric soldering iron, This means i can have it in place while I have the type 2 connector inserted in the charge port. I have the cover tethered to the type 2 lead on a small bungy so that it is always ready when charging. Been doing it for a year or so. Keeps the rain, snow and frost out of the CCS port whilst charging. Crude but effective. Cost £4 :cool:

IMG_1895.JPG
IMG_1894.JPG

Last edited:
My experience has been that the CCS terminals aren't really an issue, but snow that builds up around the plugged in connector, then freezes, can be. I've had snow drifts build up around the connector on other cars, freezing the thing solidly in place. Used to be a serious PITA with the Prius PHEV, and it wasn't unusual to have to spend half an hour or so carefully chipping off frozen snow to be able to remove the connector. Having a cover over the whole charge port area keeps the snow out, so fixing the problem.

Keep in mind that a cover isn't needed for electrical safety.
The point of a cover is to minimize weathering, abrasive dirt, and avoid having your charge port packed with snow and ice.

Even with A/C charging, the EVSE doesn't turn on the high voltage until it senses that it's plugged into a vehicle, and is required to have sensitive GFCI protection. Many 'chargers' go beyond the basic requirement and test the conductivity of the ground connection both before turning on high voltage and periodically during charging.

This sensing is fairly robust against falsely turning on the power. For instance a J1772 EVSE uses a low voltage (under 12V) bipolar balanced square wave, and senses the proper asymmetrical current draw to detect a vehicle is connected. Dropping the connector into water won't turn on the high voltage, and even electrolysis is minimized by the low current and polarity-balanced sense signal (average of zero VDC).