Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door Broke Off!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I initially thought that people might be messing with the door (hitting/twisting) while it is open and charging, but then I figured Sentry would probably catch any culprits

For the people that apply force to close the door (and not let it close automatically), where do you apply force to engage the closure? Do you press on the hinge/arm/fulcrum, or the tip/edge of the door exerting the most stress? I wonder how many cycles and at what stress it's designed to withstand.

I never have to apply force to open/close it. But when my charge port door stopped working….I was lifting it and closing it at the bottom edge. Had to close/open it against what ever mechanism inside ratchets it up and down. It would make a bunch of clicking as I was opening and closing it. Did this for several days before I brought it in to have it replaced (under warranty)and the door never broke off. But the mechanism inside eventually broke lol….because it eventually stopped clicking and would flop open/closed pretty easily.

@SPACE_EX hasn’t posted back.….if the service tech said anything. Are they seeing this recently, often etc…. I wonder If there’s some manufacturing defect? I haven‘t searched but I haven’t seen anyone else complain about the doors breaking like that on any of the forums since I’ve been on from 2018. I don’t think superglue will be secure enough If it broke in the first place. I would tape the port and the opening to where the arm swings out...to keep rain out.
It wasn't covered under warranty and mobile service replace entire unit in 15 min. Cost $250

I just had this happen. I was trying to use a Volta charger that I guess was not functioning. So I tried pulling the cable in and out a couple times just to make sure I just didn't have the connection seated improperly. The cover came down onto the adapter so I slightly pulled up on it to open and it just snapped off. I just made a mobile appointment for Tuesday so let's see how this goes.

I had a charge port door fail and had to manually open close it a bunch before service was able to replace it. It would definitely take some force to break it there.
Could be a manufacturing defect with a certain batch of parts. For some reason, they were manufactured with stress fractures and it takes a lot less force and just a little bit of time before the doors fall off.
I initially thought that people might be messing with the door (hitting/twisting) while it is open and charging, but then I figured Sentry would probably catch any culprits

For the people that apply force to close the door (and not let it close automatically), where do you apply force to engage the closure? Do you press on the hinge/arm/fulcrum, or the tip/edge of the door exerting the most stress? I wonder how many cycles and at what stress it's designed to withstand.
I never apply force to close the charge port door. I always close it from the app, from the center display, or I just wait until it closes on its own. However the door did slam down on the connector a few times because of Tesla's stupid firmware bug that they took a month and a half to fix (charge port door delay after removing the connector was set to almost 0 seconds).

I just had this happen. I was trying to use a Volta charger that I guess was not functioning. So I tried pulling the cable in and out a couple times just to make sure I just didn't have the connection seated improperly. The cover came down onto the adapter so I slightly pulled up on it to open and it just snapped off. I just made a mobile appointment for Tuesday so let's see how this goes.
When that happens, if you just wait a moment, the door will reopen on its own. Not too helpful now, I realize.

Reactions: psychoace
There must be some kind of defect. I have manually opened mine quite a few times and it doesn't break off.
Yeah when you look at the cover it seems like only the cheap 3D printed like plastic that goes around the metal pole that actuates is not supported by anything. Since the plastic goes around the metal pole the part that connects it to the cover is hollow. So it's easy to see how it can snap so easy. I've only had my car for 11 months and have only tried to move it up gently a handful of times. This shouldn't be an issue at all.

Yeah when you look at the cover it seems like only the cheap 3D printed like plastic that goes around the metal pole that actuates is not supported by anything. Since the plastic goes around the metal pole the part that connects it to the cover is hollow. So it's easy to see how it can snap so easy. I've only had my car for 11 months and have only tried to move it up gently a handful of times. This shouldn't be an issue at all.
This charge port design has been pretty much the same since 2017. If there was a design issue, we would see all kinds of complaints here on TMC. I haven't seen anything like this until very recently. Looks like a bad batch to me.

Seems like a manufacturing issue. Hopefully the replacement door I got when mine stopped working a year or 2 ago…isn’t from this batch of problematic doors. The original one I had was definitely robust And current one hasn’t broken yet 🤞. I’ve had to manually close it a few times when washing the car.

And it happened to me today. Tapped it with my forearm as I slightly turned my torso to look at something. Popped right off. Oddly thin piece of plastic holds it all together. Estimate from Tesla mobile repair $268.
Weird mine was quoted at being $214 here in Illinois. I had a tech come and replace it today and supposedly there is a recall on them so it should be fixed for free. The quote is just for Tesla's record or incase it wasn't covered under warranty.
Has everyone who has had this issue had their vehicle delivered on or around 12/2021? Mine was delivered 3/2021 so hopefully it doesn't have a defective door.
Mine was delivered 9/2021 but was part of the weird 2021 LFP battery version that came out in September.

Slightly OT but has anyone had a successful warranty replacement for a charge port door that doesn't sit flush? Mine has never closed flush and it bothers me when I see so many others that you can't even tell there's a door there when closed. I'm planning to put in a service request but was curious if anyone else has experience with this. 8/2021 delivery BTW.

I just got a warranty replacement due to the problem in this video.

While waiting for the appointment, I got in the habit of opening and closing it manually. After I had the new port installed, I tested it. I went to close it manually, and the tech said, "No! Never do that. That will break it."

Reactions: SPACE_EX
Charged this morning and door closed fine. I was wiping down the car and when I wiped over the cap, instead of opening, it just fell off.

Has anyone had their cap break off? Looks like it would have required force, but honestly there was none and hasn't had any that I know of.

Delivered 12/2021.

Not seeing any other threads in this issue.. Soonest Tesla service appt is DTLA in a week.
Happened to me today while I was washing the car by hand. So weird I charged it this morning with no issue. It was like it was hanging on by a thread. Bummer

Mine broke off last nigh when I unplugged it. Have no idea what happened. I live in Northern VA and The repair was quoted at $205 which isn’t bad, but the service center is an hour drive. We have a local mobile tech but it wasn’t showing him available for almost 2 weeks…i did text him this morning and he’s seeing if he can get me taken care of sooner. I’m guessing it won’t be covered by warranty.