Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door nearly unresponsive to UMC button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model 3’s charge port door is very nearly unresponsive to the button on the UMC. At first I thought it was 100% nonfunctional, but subsequently figured out that it occasionally opens. After a little more experimentation, it appears it opens if I hold the handle quite close (inches) to the charge door when I press the button.

The same UMC (a Gen 1 that came with my S) opens the charge port on my Model S just fine at the reasonable range of several feet. I’ve also tried with the UMC that was delivered with the Model 3 and the behavior is the same. We’ve done one road trip with the Model 3 and — although I wasn’t watching carefully for it — I believe the charge port responded fine to Supercharger handles.

Of course I can also open the charge port by pressing it, but it galls me to not have the UMC button work as it should. Is this a known thing? (I’ve tried a few searches and come up blank, so maybe not?)

Hold charger cable handle about an inch from that point and works a lot better for us.
Seriously, at that point why have remote door release at all? If I’m an inch from the door, I can just push it with my finger. :-( The way it works with the S, it’s actually useful, since the sequence of motions to plug in goes like,

- pick up handle
- while lifting it, press button
- charge port opens as I’m in the process of moving the handle to the car, and is fully open before I get there
- plug in

Seriously, at that point why have remote door release at all? If I’m an inch from the door, I can just push it with my finger. :-( The way it works with the S, it’s actually useful, since the sequence of motions to plug in goes like,

- pick up handle
- while lifting it, press button
- charge port opens as I’m in the process of moving the handle to the car, and is fully open before I get there
- plug in
Hey, I’m not Judging, just responding with what works for us. We get a lot more rain and associated dirt here. So, maybe “keeping your hands cleaner”? ;-)

Reactions: jgs
Our Model 3’s charge port door is very nearly unresponsive to the button on the UMC. At first I thought it was 100% nonfunctional, but subsequently figured out that it occasionally opens. After a little more experimentation, it appears it opens if I hold the handle quite close (inches) to the charge door when I press the button.

The same UMC (a Gen 1 that came with my S) opens the charge port on my Model S just fine at the reasonable range of several feet. I’ve also tried with the UMC that was delivered with the Model 3 and the behavior is the same. We’ve done one road trip with the Model 3 and — although I wasn’t watching carefully for it — I believe the charge port responded fine to Supercharger handles.

Of course I can also open the charge port by pressing it, but it galls me to not have the UMC button work as it should. Is this a known thing? (I’ve tried a few searches and come up blank, so maybe not?)

I wonder if there could be RF interference?

Or something is wrong with the antenna/receiver in the Model 3 (is the UMC is proven good on a different car).

Anyone looked up what frequency they are using?

I wonder if there could be RF interference?
No, same UMC works as expected with my Model S in the same location.
Or something is wrong with the antenna/receiver in the Model 3 (is the UMC is proven good on a different car).
Yes, it’s proven good, see above.
Anyone looked up what frequency they are using?
I haven’t. It’s obvs the same as they use with the S and the X, though. Considering others have built their own transmitters, it must be a known frequency.

Wait, I'm late to the game here, just having taken delivery a few weeks ago. The UMC, if plugged in to power at that end, opens the charge door automagically!!!!???? Simply by pressing the button on it???? You mean I don't have to be a pleb and hit the button on the touchscreen or my phone????!!!!

I read the manual, most of it anyway. Can't believe I missed that, if that is the case =/

Wait, I'm late to the game here, just having taken delivery a few weeks ago. The UMC, if plugged in to power at that end, opens the charge door automagically!!!!???? Simply by pressing the button on it???? You mean I don't have to be a pleb and hit the button on the touchscreen or my phone????!!!!

I read the manual, most of it anyway. Can't believe I missed that, if that is the case =/

I have a wall connector and have not used the UMC delivered with the car, but I believe it has the same button on it as the wall connector. If so, you can push the button on the connector to open the charge door but as is said in this thread, in Model 3s it has to be pretty close.

In my case, it needs to be within about 3 inches or so to open the port door.