Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door won't open - 5 day old car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Related comment, probably worthless: When I had first gotten my car, Signature, Sept 2012, the metal disc that is captured by the magnet -- stayed on the magnet, and the charge port door stayed open. I glued it with superglue. It has stayed fixed for 2 years. I never even bothered telling Tesla about it.

Looks like they are using a sticky rubber glue now. Maybe they need to use super glue.

FIXED!!!

Learned two things I want to share:

1) In my case the problem was glue. The guy at the service center this morning said that Tesla changed the glue that holds the magnet on the door, and now it is sometimes oozing out and getting on the front of the magnet, which in turn glues the door closed! Clean the magnet on the door and the place it lands (see pictures below) with alcohol to get the glue off. My door now opens normally. Sure wish the service center would have done this in delivery preparation - seems a simple step and an obvious one given the pain and suffering a sticking door causes.

2) My brand new 2015 Model S does NOT have the fancy new charge port door mechanism. The fancy new charge port mechanism only comes with high end options - not sure which one but I didn't get any options because I took a gigantic financial bath trading my 2013 Model S for this one to get the auto-pilot feature. Anyway, what I learned is that the new fancy charge port door mechanisms have a manual release that you can access from the trunk if you take the little cover off - easy to find if you open the trunk and look where the charge port is on the outside of the car. The release is a black thing at the bottom of the mechanism. This release does NOT open the door! BUT, it will "unstick" the connector (the charging connector you shove into the port to charge your car) if it gets stuck in your charge port. This hasn't happened to me but I wanted to share this for you lucky souls with the fancy cars with all the options. One day I'll join you!

View attachment 83841View attachment 83842View attachment 83843

I am so sorry I didn't suggest that. I had the exact same problem six months ago and didn't think it could still be an issue on newer cars

Glad to see you fixed it. I ran into issues with my door after 2 months of use. Another user suggested a thin felt pad over the metal disk on the charger door. This helps ensure you dont get the disks stuck together. In my case there was no glue but dirt or something was making it stick just a bit to not open. Good security to have.

Glad to see you fixed it. I ran into issues with my door after 2 months of use. Another user suggested a thin felt pad over the metal disk on the charger door. This helps ensure you dont get the disks stuck together. In my case there was no glue but dirt or something was making it stick just a bit to not open. Good security to have.

Thanks, I will try that. My door still sticks, but its never locked closed like it did a week ago right before my trip.