Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Freak Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chasedrgc1223

Nearly Insane
Apr 8, 2015
NJ
Okay so far this is the only tech issue I've had with my 85D at 32,939 miles, but it's an odd one at that... I was just out to eat and when I came back to the car, it gave me a charge port open warning, and I tried to close it from the screen to clear the message but nothing was happening. That's when I noticed the charge port door wasn't even open, so I just drove on. Well, I stopped somewhere else and I wanted to just take a closer look at it, and I tried opening it from the outside, the key, and the inside. Well nothing happened, until about 10 seconds later, it opened then closed and opened and closed and kept doing this. Oh, I also tried multiple reboots (17 inch and dashboard) now and right after dinner all to no avail. Here's a video, and it only stops when I shift into drive. Really really weird...Tesla Problem - YouTube

Last edited:
Okay so far this is the only tech issue I've had with my 85D at 32,939 miles, but it's an odd one at that... I was just out to eat and when I came back to the car, it gave me a charge port open warning, and I tried to close it from the screen to clear the message but nothing was happening. That's when I noticed the charge port door wasn't even open, so I just drove on. Well, I stopped somewhere else and I wanted to just take a closer look at it, and I tried opening it from the outside, the key, and the inside. Well nothing happened, until about 10 seconds later, it opened then closed and opened and closed and kept doing this. Oh, I also tried multiple reboots (17 inch and dashboard) now and right after dinner all to no avail. Here's a video, and it only stops when I shift into drive. Really really weird...

Happened recently to myself (not a big issue and ranger took care of it right away) and to fellow member Footbag: Tesla Owners in Alberta - Page 128

I had something sort-of similar happen recently: Like you, charge door would only close when shifting into drive. When the charge door opened, it would also take about 10 seconds for the locking pin to disengage, only after which could I plug in.

Computer resets didn't help. In the end, the service center replaced the charge port door and the module that controlled it.

Good luck to you...

Has this happened to anyone else recently? My charge port on new MS seems to open at random times - both in my garage, where I charge, but also elsewhere where I have not charged (like a supermarket lot and a friends house). Hitting close charge port door on the car's screen doesn't help - sometimes it closes and then opens again; sometimes the screen does nothing. Driving away does close it - so far, but sometimes the screen says it is still open. Last night i had trouble getting the port itself to unlock (the door was open) so i could start charging, which is a little worrying.

Any ideas?

It would appear folks here have charge ports than can open and close themselves.

My April 2015 S only seems to open. I've always had to push it to close it. Maybe I'm missing something? Or maybe self closing came along after my car was built. In any case this is definitely one of those 1st world "problems". :)

It would appear folks here have charge ports than can open and close themselves.

My April 2015 S only seems to open. I've always had to push it to close it. Maybe I'm missing something? Or maybe self closing came along after my car was built. In any case this is definitely one of those 1st world "problems". :)
I think they added the auto-closing charge port to dual motor cars, so I believe you need a D. (And a US/CAN model at that. The European charge port is bigger, and apparently has no space for the door motor). My 85D has it, manufactured a month after yours was delivered.

Washed the model s before a 3 hour road trip. Afterwards stopped by the SpC to refill for a half hour. After completing charging i unplugged as normal and got back inside, put on my seat belt and shifted into drive, but the darn thing refused to budge, saying the charging port was open. I used the control panel to shut it and again it would not go into drive. Kept opening charge port. After two more failed attempts i finally had enough and roboot both the center console and the dash console. After that everything began working again and i could put the car into drive. Could moisture from the earlier wash have affected the ports locking mechanism?

Yes, the D cars come with a motorized charge port. No, there is no way to retrofit this, as the sheetmetal is actually totally different in non-D cars. I think the refresh cars finally changed this though.

The motorized charge port has had several revisions. The older ones would be prone to water ingress into the motor and then the port would start acting crazy. If yours is doing that, take it in and report it to your SvC, they'll swap it out. It's a simple job, less than an hour.

Reactions: JPUConn
Yes, the D cars come with a motorized charge port. No, there is no way to retrofit this, as the sheetmetal is actually totally different in non-D cars. I think the refresh cars finally changed this though.

The motorized charge port has had several revisions. The older ones would be prone to water ingress into the motor and then the port would start acting crazy. If yours is doing that, take it in and report it to your SvC, they'll swap it out. It's a simple job, less than an hour.

Yes, the refresh cars (D or not) all have the motorized charge port (can confirm as I have a RWD refresh car)

• Informative
Reactions: decrypt