TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charge port LED turns on and off

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Sylvius, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

I've noticed an interesting behavior with the charge port LED on my MS. When I plug the car in, it turns blue and eventually turns off when the car locks. I've noticed that sometimes when I go into the garage, no keyfob in range, the blue light will be on. I go back a while later and it's off again. Does this have something to do with the car "waking up" a little to perform battery maintenance functions? Or to surf the internet a little to relieve the boredom? Or preparing to go out for a snack?

• Funny x 1
  2. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

It just shuts off. Noticed this while supercharging at night. Heard in some you-tube video that it turns off, so it wont bring attention to the car. But im pretty sure that's not the actual reason but It could be.

3. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

What's the point of the light if you're not around to see it?

This is why it turns off.

4. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Totally agree with that. But then why does it turn on again for seemingly no reason? I might go into the garage a couple hours after I've parked and plugged in. I saw the light go off when the car locked...but there it is on again! I would think that once the light goes off, it should stay off until you unlock the car.

5. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

mine does the same, raised an issue with service center multiple times, made its way to corporate engineering, turns out its normal. Note there seems to be no real purpose behind it.

6. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Great info, thanks! Pointless I can live with. I just wasn't sure if it was symptomatic of some problem.

7. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

That's what I assumed was the culprit I was having a issue with vampire drain. From what me and the service advisor/ technician understood from corporate is that it is related to the bms / associated computers waking periodically to check the conditions.

• Like x 1