Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Light Randomly Turning On/Off During Day While Plugged In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jim Holder

Keep calm and trade on
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2017
Mars
Hi,

Haven't been able to find any info on this via search. I have a 2017 Model S60D and I've noticed that when I leave it plugged in from the night before the Charge Port LED comes on at random times (the doors are locked and the keys are far away). Sometimes I go out to get the mail or take out the garbage and it's lit blue or green. Is the car saying hi to me? ;)

Is the random light lighting expected behavior?
Perhaps it happens if/when HVAC kicks on for cooling or heating battery which "activates" power and the LED?

Thanks in advance.

The car can "wake up" for a variety of reasons. Someone opens the Tesla app on their phone, a key fob comes near, someone pushes the button on the charge cable, pushes on a door or trunk handle, etc. As you say it will also "wake up" to heat or cool the battery.

It is expected behavior.

I have seen and questioned the same situation (and got no definitive answers). I know there were no external physical events or connections from my app happening to the car. I guessed that when the charge level dropped and it started charging again the light came on for a few minutes. It mostly seems to go off within a few minutes.