Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port No Longer Locking with Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
As we all know, the HPWC or UMC "wand" is supposed to stay locked to the car whenever the car is locked. In the morning, I had gotten used to doing the "Tesla Two Step" before removing my charge cable. (walk forward until the car senses my key and unlocks, then step back to the rear to unplug).

The other day, I forgot and noticed I was able to unplug without first unlocking the car. Cool, I thought. Maybe they have upgraded the firmware to simply sense my key and allow the cable to be released similar to how you can open the rear hatch without unlocking simply by having your key.

Nope. Today I tried to remove the cable with my key nowhere nearby and was able to do so.

It does not seem to be a "mechanical" issue with my port. The cable is still locked firmly in place, and you have to press the button, wait a beat, get the solid "clunk" of the pin releasing, then pull the cable out as usual. It's just that I can now do it with the car locked and the key nowhere in sight.

Anyone know if this is new (or a bug) in current firmware? I am on v17.26.76.

Can't take my charging cable out (HPWC) with my car locked. 17.26.17. Blue charge port ring is illuminated and when I press the button on the handle, I get the usual clicks and clunks of relays, but the light never turns white and the lock doesn't disengage and release the handle.

Side note, I do the same "two-step" every morning. Your description made me chuckle knowingly.

Well, it seems like I'm the only one. I guess it goes on the list for my next service visit.

I actually don't mind this behavior. It would not be a bad idea if Tesla put a configuration switch in the settings: LOCK CHARGE PORT WITH CAR: ON / OFF.

I think most of the time I'd leave it off unless I was someplace with a risk of having my UMC swiped.

I have also noticed that now I am able to unplug the J1772 adapter when the charger handle is pressed and there is no key fob. That is disturbing because now someone could steal your adapter. One could always unplug the J1772 connector but the adapter would stay locked in the car.

I also can unplug my Gen 1 HPWC charge handle on my locked 2017 MS FW v8.1 (2017.28c528869) but the car has to be in energy savings mode ("sleeping"), no key, and no charge port light. After I pull out the handle the charge port door automatically closes.

@mknox did you try a reboot? Only half kidding. Sometimes my car seems to get confused about lock state.

I was wondering what color the charge ring was before you pulled out the charging plug? This could give a clue to what the car thinks its lock state is. Also when you say the car was locked, how was that determined (trying to open door, the lock in the app, other?).

@mknox did you try a reboot? Only half kidding. Sometimes my car seems to get confused about lock state.

I was wondering what color the charge ring was before you pulled out the charging plug? This could give a clue to what the car thinks its lock state is. Also when you say the car was locked, how was that determined (trying to open door, the lock in the app, other?).

I actually thought of doing a re-boot (but didn't). It is quite surprising what a re-boot can fix when weird stuff like this happens.

Yes, I established that the car was locked. All door handles in and non-responsive to tapping. All interior screens dark etc. Key nowhere near the car. Removing the charge cable behavior was identical to when the car is unlocked. Push the button, wait a beat, hear the "clunk" of the pin releasing, then pull out the cable. I forget the color of the charge port ring other than is seemed to be identical to the color it goes when the car is unlocked (i.e not red or yellow or anything like that). I believe it went steady green when I pressed the button (car fully charged) then white after I pulled it out.

Now here is the even weirder part: It seems to be back to "normal" now with the cable locked until I unlock the car! I hate gremlins like this.