Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Wouldn't Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as an FYI for folks that may run into this problem.

I had an issue last week where my charging port stopped opening. It didn't matter if I used the app or the screen in the car. I put in a service request in the app and a mobile tech came out and replaced it (for free under warranty) within 3 days. Once the tech arrived, the whole process took less than an hour in my driveway.

It sounded like this is a known issue based on my discussions with the tech. He also told me that you can pull it up manually if needed. He said it shouldn't damage the mechanism to do so (despite the loud clicks) and even if it did... it is broken and going to be replaced at that point anyways.

So far so good with the new one and thumbs up again for the Virginia Beach Tesla service center and mobile techs.

Just as an FYI for folks that may run into this problem.

I had an issue last week where my charging port stopped opening. It didn't matter if I used the app or the screen in the car. I put in a service request in the app and a mobile tech came out and replaced it (for free under warranty) within 3 days. Once the tech arrived, the whole process took less than an hour in my driveway.

It sounded like this is a known issue based on my discussions with the tech. He also told me that you can pull it up manually if needed. He said it shouldn't damage the mechanism to do so (despite the loud clicks) and even if it did... it is broken and going to be replaced at that point anyways.

So far so good with the new one and thumbs up again for the Virginia Beach Tesla service center and mobile techs.
My charging port just died with exactly same symptoms. Appointment booked. Could it be because my car is also Silver Metallic ;)?

Funny that for the first few days with my brand new Model 3 I didn't know that the charge port could be tapped to open automatically. I always manually pulled it open and endured that loud clicking noise, thinking what a terrible design Tesla did to the port. My port survived and is still working well so far nearly a year later.

This happened to me on a recent road trip. Pulled up to the SC, with about 3% SOC and the charge port wouldn’t open. In the end I just pulled the door open gently and the mechanism activated and opened it. I brought it up with a service tech when I went in for service recently and they couldn’t reproduce the issue, but said of course if it happens again, call and they would send a tech to replace it.

This happened to me on a recent road trip. Pulled up to the SC, with about 3% SOC and the charge port wouldn’t open. In the end I just pulled the door open gently and the mechanism activated and opened it. I brought it up with a service tech when I went in for service recently and they couldn’t reproduce the issue, but said of course if it happens again, call and they would send a tech to replace it.
I had the same issue.
For a month or two the charge port door would only open sometimes, other times I had the gently manually open it. Over two months the odds of it opening by tapping it, or from the touch screen or from the app dropped and dropped until it never opened electronically.
I scheduled a mobile service and it was fixed under warranty.
The tech said the new device was improved from the original (July 2018 car build).

I notice a slight change in the new door. I usually charge with the L2 adapter. Previously the door would sometimes try to automatically close before I removed the adapter but after I had unplugged the charging cable. The door would close, touch the adapter then retract back and open. It has been a month now and I've never observed this to happen. Maybe a coincidence?

I had the same issue.
For a month or two the charge port door would only open sometimes, other times I had the gently manually open it. Over two months the odds of it opening by tapping it, or from the touch screen or from the app dropped and dropped until it never opened electronically.
The tech said the new device was improved from the original (July 2018 car build).

I notice a slight change in the new door. I usually charge with the L2 adapter. Previously the door would sometimes try to automatically close before I removed the adapter but after I had unplugged the charging cable. The door would close, touch the adapter then retract back and open. It has been a month now and I've never observed this to happen. Maybe a coincidence?
When using the L2 adaptor, I always use the app to STOP CHARGING and then UNLOCK PORT before removing the adaptor. Otherwise, evertime I try and remove the adaptor, the door tries to close and hit the adaptor. As well, WHERE it hits (outer edge of door and outside end of adaptor) it tends to knock off the little magnet that is on the inside of the door.. then it drops to the ground and has to be repaired. That has happened twice for us in the past.

Reactions: SVMike
When using the L2 adaptor, I always use the app to STOP CHARGING and then UNLOCK PORT before removing the adaptor. Otherwise, evertime I try and remove the adaptor, the door tries to close and hit the adaptor. As well, WHERE it hits (outer edge of door and outside end of adaptor) it tends to knock off the little magnet that is on the inside of the door.. then it drops to the ground and has to be repaired. That has happened twice for us in the past.
Curious...have you had the door motor replaced or is it original? And how old is the car?

I had the same issue.

How as the fit of your replacement charge port? I just had mine replaced and it looks a bit misaligned when closed and I can see light leaking through when charging (see photo)

Attachments

• 155507759_10111943117753132_7377541847541486495_o.jpg
    155507759_10111943117753132_7377541847541486495_o.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: SVMike
My charge port flap motor kicked the bucket earlier this year; I've been opening and closing the flap manually since then. It's getting replaced tomorrow, out-of-warranty by mobile service for under $300. Seems reasonable to me.
Just curious as mine stopped working last night after 107k miles (so definitely out of warranty). Did mobile successfully fix your problem and was the total cost around $300? I’m going to put In a service request this morning.

Just curious as mine stopped working last night after 107k miles (so definitely out of warranty). Did mobile successfully fix your problem and was the total cost around $300? I’m going to put In a service request this morning.

Mobile service had it changed in under an hour. Total bill was $253. It’s working well again and I’m very pleased with the outcome.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Starting a few weeks ago, my charging port started getting flakey, not opening as reliably using the either the charge handle button or tapping the port door. Then it wouldn't open at all, by any means. I had to manually pry the door open.

So I scheduled a mobile tech appt to fix the problem -- its in a couple of weeks.

However, I then read on the forums about pulling on the internal (in the trunk) release cable for the port door. I did that, and now the port door seems to be much better, fairly reliably opening when it is supposed to, for the most part (perhaps glitching once or twice).

So... should I cancel the tech appt? have it replaced under warranty anyways? would the tech decide not to replace if he sees its mostly working? is the fix I found just temporary?

Starting a few weeks ago, my charging port started getting flakey, not opening as reliably using the either the charge handle button or tapping the port door. Then it wouldn't open at all, by any means. I had to manually pry the door open.

So I scheduled a mobile tech appt to fix the problem -- its in a couple of weeks.

However, I then read on the forums about pulling on the internal (in the trunk) release cable for the port door. I did that, and now the port door seems to be much better, fairly reliably opening when it is supposed to, for the most part (perhaps glitching once or twice).

So... should I cancel the tech appt? have it replaced under warranty anyways? would the tech decide not to replace if he sees its mostly working? is the fix I found just temporary?

Your fix is likely temporary. I’d keep the appointment.

Reactions: tivoboy