Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge SR to 100% every time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, you have charging at home, but choose "run the car down, then charge it up" even though tesla specifically says there is no benefit to doing that directly in the manual. You also charge to 100% when you dont need to, because you only use up your range "every 3 days".

You do this so that you dont have to go through the hassle of unplugging the car in the morning?

That correct?
If I had a gas pump at home in my garage for my ICE's, I would not fill it up everyday. Would you?

Even though tying the shoelaces snugly would be good for running, if I can make the laces tied loosely enough that I don't have to untie and tie everyday, that is what I do. Plugging in every night when I get home and unplugging every morning before getting in the car is doable just like I could untie and tie my shoelaces everytime. However, convenience is convenience. Charging to 100% on SR will be equivalent to charging to ~90% on SR+. No harm to the battery.

Last edited:
If I had a gas pump at home in my garage for my ICE's, I would not fill it up everyday. Would you?

Even though tying the shoelaces snugly would be good for running, if I can make the laces tied loosely enough that I don't have to untie and tie everyday, that is what I do. Plugging in every night when I get home and unplugging every morning before getting in the car is doable just like I could untie and tie my shoelaces everytime. However, convenience is convenience. Charging to 100% on SR will be equivalent to charging to ~90% on SR+. No harm to the battery.

So everyone says. (rhetorical question inc...) I wonder what will happen if someone starts complaining about battery issues in one of these SR cars charged to 100% all the time. the car specifically tells you not to do it. Would tesla consider that "abuse" and deny warranty claims? No idea and I am not saying they would.

I am saying, if thats even possible, and one doesnt have to do this, why would you?

To answer your question, if I had a gas pump in my garage for my ICE car, your @!#$!@$ straight I would fill it up every day. For me, not having to "think" about ever "filling up" is one of the major benefits of having charging at home. It takes me an additional 6 seconds or so to unplug my car, and I am "back there" anyway putting my backpack in the trunk. I pass by the plug to get into the car, so it is not even 1 additional step and about 5-6 seconds of motion / effort.

Since this what the company that makes the car (and would need to fullfil any warranty claims) recommends, thats what I do.

That works for me, obviously not plugging in works for you, so its all good. I just find the "its too much effort" angle a bit strange because it isnt any additional work in my case. If I had to drag out the charging kit from my trunk, then maybe it would get annoying, but thats why I put a Wall connector in.

Reactions: SlimJim
Another factor is I specifically decided on the SR as having a battery buffer protection + still being cheaper than a SR+ . @GigaGrunt and others confirmed that in other threads. I'm still debating whether I'll pay for the unlock (based on if tesla puts it on sale w/AP etc) but having the free buffer makes it essentially the same as a SR+ as far as daily range.

Reactions: SlimJim
All, please keep in mind that Tesla constantly changes the charging profile. We may have evidence that the BMS is top locking on one version doesn't mean that it is still true in subsequent versions. They may decide split lock (part top and part bottom) or bottom lock in future firmware. Unless it is absolutely necessary, don't use 100% for daily charging.

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill and ucmndd
Didn’t read all posts, and I’m sure something similar has been mentioned, but as you asked for opinions....

even if 100% is really 90%. Regen is still held back a bit compared to starting at a lower %. In my case, the car starts to regen sooner if I charge to 80 rather then 90.

so it all depends on what you want for efficiency and more consistent drivability. But if it were me, I would charge to the “theoretical 90%” to get the most out of the car.

however, do you plug in every night? if no, then just charge to 100% and forget about it. Never have to think about it again.

good luck with decision!

All, please keep in mind that Tesla constantly changes the charging profile. We may have evidence that the BMS is top locking on one version doesn't mean that it is still true in subsequent versions. They may decide split lock (part top and part bottom) or bottom lock in future firmware. Unless it is absolutely necessary, don't use 100% for daily charging.

^^^ this is definitely something to consider.

So everyone says. (rhetorical question inc...) I wonder what will happen if someone starts complaining about battery issues in one of these SR cars charged to 100% all the time. the car specifically tells you not to do it. Would tesla consider that "abuse" and deny warranty claims? No idea and I am not saying they would.

I am saying, if thats even possible, and one doesnt have to do this, why would you?

To answer your question, if I had a gas pump in my garage for my ICE car, your @!#$!@$ straight I would fill it up every day. For me, not having to "think" about ever "filling up" is one of the major benefits of having charging at home. It takes me an additional 6 seconds or so to unplug my car, and I am "back there" anyway putting my backpack in the trunk. I pass by the plug to get into the car, so it is not even 1 additional step and about 5-6 seconds of motion / effort.

Since this what the company that makes the car (and would need to fullfil any warranty claims) recommends, thats what I do.

That works for me, obviously not plugging in works for you, so its all good. I just find the "its too much effort" angle a bit strange because it isnt any additional work in my case. If I had to drag out the charging kit from my trunk, then maybe it would get annoying, but thats why I put a Wall connector in.
You win.

I was wondering how much % I should charge my SR.
It is downgraded from SR+, so 100% in SR now is actually just about 90% to the original.
Will charging 100% in this SR every time be ok?
I just wonder if you still get some re-gen when at 100%?

Because you have to be more careful when driving without re-gen since you need to use your brake pedal to slowdown the car.

So you can try to see if you like it. For that reason I would not go above 93% (I think that was the trigger for the re-gen?)

I just wonder if you still get some re-gen when at 100%?

Because you have to be more careful when driving without re-gen since you need to use your brake pedal to slowdown the car.

So you can try to see if you like it. For that reason I would not go above 93% (I think that was the trigger for the re-gen?)

I noticed no difference in regen, one pedal driving (which I like doing) after several 100% charges