Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge SR to 100% every time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you had a gas car would you want a full tank each night? I put gas when it’s 1/4 to 1/3 full.

I got over the range issue and stop treating my car like my phone where I charge my iPhone 100% each night. I just charge to 70% despite my long commute using 140 miles of range because it’s not needed. There’s super chargers on the main highways if I ever need to take a long road trip and I wasn’t ready with 100% charge.
When I got my car I always charged to 90%. Then started to realize it’s not needed. So I don’t change to 90% as much anymore. I do 80% a lot, but most days it’s 70%. If I’m not going anywhere, just around town 50%. That’s close to 150 miles of range for me

i do sometimes wonder about some american cars from the 80s/90s which have got such astronomical fuel consumption that they only get like 300km of range on one tank lol.
Communities were a lot smaller and daily trips were shorter.

I charged to 100% and drove this morning. The Regen brake worked fine without any warning.
I will go try supercharging and see if it charges quickly to 90% instead of 80%.
If it does then SR has no disadvantages as far as practical range during long road trips compared to SR+.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mswlogo
i do sometimes wonder about some american cars from the 80s/90s which have got such astronomical fuel consumption that they only get like 300km of range on one tank lol.

Range on one tank for an ICE isn't a big deal when there are gas stations spaced no further than 50 miles in most of the US.
5 minutes to fill up isn't comparable to 30 minutes to several hours an EV takes, depending on what type of charger is available. Could be even significantly longer if all the stalls are filled up too.

Communities were a lot smaller and daily trips were shorter.

I charged to 100% and drove this morning. The Regen brake worked fine without any warning.
I will go try supercharging and see if it charges quickly to 90% instead of 80%.
If it does then SR has no disadvantages as far as practical range during long road trips compared to SR+.

I've been doing this after asking the experts here.

SR really shines as far as battery protection/daily use with 100% charge. The only caveat is I got the warning for 100% charging but that is a automatic software, with no SR flag.

the only time its a factor is when you would have needed ~20 miles to not make a stop on long trips

Reactions: SlimJim
I went to a supercharger with about 75% and started charging.
I charged until it was 85% and this is the speed. The charging speed stayed the same from 75% to 85%. I didn't want to wait any longer so I stopped at 85%. There were 3 other Teslas charging.

ymXxTBVMQYa5DYwZVfKj6JwBh9Co-wLk3mPHyS7blNWiKqJ_qCbU6aJkbqFdDTD846t2GEqrfqSYGweG9fEb3gP4_BvlV_nUFiL0WA65wkQDKAdsNcAUvdiYfb6G1XXSHWH2AD6BKaE=w2400

For anyone arguing about gas stations being prevalent of course it is. I bought an EV you don’t think I know gas stations are more common than EV chargers. But we are talking about someone’s daily commute. Home-work-home. Charging to 100% is nonsense if your commute is 30 miles round trip. Heck if it’s 50 mile round trip I don’t even think it’s necessary.

But hey it’s your car. If it’s SR and you want to charge to 100% go for it. But just don’t make another thread in 6 months saying “hey guys my max miles is only 200 miles.” I’m gonna rip out my balding head if I see another thread like that. Lol

I don’t charge everyday.
Not having to unplug every morning is a plus for me. I charge every three days. 100% it is for me.

So, you have charging at home, but choose "run the car down, then charge it up" even though tesla specifically says there is no benefit to doing that directly in the manual. You also charge to 100% when you dont need to, because you only use up your range "every 3 days".

You do this so that you dont have to go through the hassle of unplugging the car in the morning?

That correct?