Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a gamble that is for sure. It is a wash for me as there have been $2k in price increases since my order, so if I get it great, if not, then the car ends up being the same net price as reordering (less the $100 re-order fee) and I have a chance at getting it sooner with my earlier order date.
Let's hope Tesla doesn't add to the drama and introduce a price decrease anytime soon, then you'd be in for a tough decision.

Reactions: rjpjnk
e
It's a gamble that is for sure. It is a wash for me as there have been $2k in price increases since my order, so if I get it great, if not, then the car ends up being the same net price as reordering (less the $100 re-order fee) and I have a chance at getting it sooner with my earlier order date.
That's how I'm taking it too. If I get the incentive, more incentive to add acceleration boost lol.
I can't deal with tacking on another 4-6 weeks after I put my order in a month ago just on speculation of order date.

I ordered one on 7/6, originally said estimated delivery 9/7 to 9/27 and just checked today and moved up to 8/26th and 9/15th. Guess we'll see what happens! I ordered online and selected the dealer in the Lawrenceville, NJ. When does the rebate apply?

ordered 4/27 and placed it on hold till 6/27... date was 7/16-8/6 yesterday... now says September again :(

I wonder if something happened or an update is on the way since majority are seeing just September as a delivery date. Really hope they start producing them with the 4680 batteries out of Fremont's pilot line. They been producing them since battery day at least since they had actual footage of the pilot line.

So what do you think our chances of getting the $5000 rebate are if we ordered July 6? On the website it says 24% of the funding is used already for issued and reserved. Who is part of the reserved?

I had my original order end of may(as of now ETA shows end of July) and placed a new order on phase 2 start date(as of now shows end of Aug), net difference seems to be 900$ in the price since the price has gone up by 1000 since my original order and also 100$ for the new order, hoping to get one of them sooner, Have been waiting for the rebate to comeback for a long time and finally when it came, dont see much difference, wish I had taken the deliverry start of the year, would have saved money and also enjoyed the car

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
To add more drama, you can track in “real time” how much funding is used/left: Available Funding | Charge Up New Jersey

25% gone in 2 days? at this pace, there will be no money left for those with deliveries 8 weeks out. It's like they are incentivizing a purchase off the car lot vs ordering (Tesla)

A portion of the FY22 budget is being used to payout the remainder of eligible owners who bought during Phase 1, but never received a check since they ran out of FY21 funds. I wouldn't be alarmed, it's highly doubtful that the 7M is representative of any Phase 2 purchases.

Probably true there will be plenty of money left towards fall/winter this year, but definitely agonizing. I ideally want to be in a MY LR before my Ford lease is up this November. I can't even test drive a MY yet because when I went to fill out my info online (about 2 weeks ago), a regional SA got back to me a few days later and said all the Y's, even the Demo vehicles, are all spoken for and I need to wait until sometime mid-July for more stock to be back in. I'm getting to a point where I might be awkward and ask someone in Morris county if I can take a look at their MY so I can at least confirm that will be the vehicle for me and then go plunk my $100 down.

Ordered on 4/27. After delivery hold released on 7/6; EDD was 7/21-8/7 then yesterday EDD was September. I received Final Payment email today with Tesla Vision Acceptance & VIN (227xxx) - delivery between 7/19-7/25. Rebate is washed for me if I reorder; will see how rebate goes.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Probably true there will be plenty of money left towards fall/winter this year, but definitely agonizing. I ideally want to be in a MY LR before my Ford lease is up this November. I can't even test drive a MY yet because when I went to fill out my info online (about 2 weeks ago), a regional SA got back to me a few days later and said all the Y's, even the Demo vehicles, are all spoken for and I need to wait until sometime mid-July for more stock to be back in. I'm getting to a point where I might be awkward and ask someone in Morris county if I can take a look at their MY so I can at least confirm that will be the vehicle for me and then go plunk my $100 down.
I'm not sure if this 'event' is current or if they have cars to test drive, but I know Bell Works hosts test drives all summer.

Ordered on 4/27. After delivery hold released on 7/6; EDD was 7/21-8/7 then yesterday EDD was September. I received Final Payment email today with Tesla Vision Acceptance & VIN (227xxx) - delivery between 7/19-7/25. Rebate is washed for me if I reorder; will see how rebate goes.
I also ordered in April and released delivery hold on 7/5. Yesterday delivery date was September, but today it is July 19-25, same as you.

I also received the email for final payment and insurance info today.

Most importantly though, I received the "Big Blue Button" screen asking me to accept a radarless vehicle. I assume that if I click this I will instantly get a VIN. Was that your experience?

I also ordered in April and released delivery hold on 7/5. Yesterday delivery date was September, but today it is July 19-25, same as you.

I also received the email for final payment and insurance info today.

Most importantly though, I received the "Big Blue Button" screen asking me to accept a radarless vehicle. I assume that if I click this I will instantly get a VIN. Was that your experience?
Exactly same experience except Insurance email just came in.

Just to put the math out there:

There's $23,000,000 left in funding for this phase 2 program

Assuming everyone is getting 5,000 back that would only cover 4,600 electric vehicles.

Assuming 25% are getting 2,000 and the other 75% are getting 5,000 that would be 6,325 total electric vehicles

Just as a reference there were about 200,000 deliveries in Q2 of 2021 of which its estimated NJ was somewhere between 5-8% of them. Even assuming NJ was 5% of deliveries that's 10,000 vehicles in NJ.

Averaging out the two options above, let's say only 5,500 vehicles will qualify... that's half of the Q2 deliveries. And Q3 is expected to bring in a ton more NJ orders because of this incentive.

Even taking into account Performance models and S/X models (that wouldnt qualify anyways) it wouldn't really change the numbers much since there werent that many deliveries of those types of cars anyways.

Needless to say (unless my math is ridiculously off) most people who are ordering for Q3 will NOT get the incentive as the funds are going to run out pretty quickly.

Just to put the math out there:

There's $23,000,000 left in funding for this phase 2 program

Assuming everyone is getting 5,000 back that would only cover 4,600 electric vehicles.

Assuming 25% are getting 2,000 and the other 75% are getting 5,000 that would be 6,325 total electric vehicles

Just as a reference there were about 200,000 deliveries in Q2 of 2021 of which its estimated NJ was somewhere between 5-8% of them. Even assuming NJ was 5% of deliveries that's 10,000 vehicles in NJ.

Averaging out the two options above, let's say only 5,500 vehicles will qualify... that's half of the Q2 deliveries. And Q3 is expected to bring in a ton more NJ orders because of this incentive.

Even taking into account Performance models and S/X models (that wouldnt qualify anyways) it wouldn't really change the numbers much since there werent that many deliveries of those types of cars anyways.

Needless to say (unless my math is ridiculously off) most people who are ordering for Q3 will NOT get the incentive as the funds are going to run out pretty quickly.
This is why I think the order date thing will be pretty firm and why I cancelled and re ordered on July 6th to make sure. If they give out all the money to people taking delivery now that ordered months ago the incentive would be pointless to get people to buy electric vehicles.

This is why I think the order date thing will be pretty firm and why I cancelled and re ordered on July 6th to make sure. If they give out all the money to people taking delivery now that ordered months ago the incentive would be pointless to get people to buy electric vehicles.
As most readers know, the IRS uses "In Service Date".
All this talk about order date is just not going to work when or if you get an audit.
However in service date, no argument can be given from even the most greedy State or IRS auditors.
Same for charger stations. The date of install and operation is the date treated for tax and rebate purposes.
Any other date, just ripe for loads of fraud.