Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things change so fast. I just got the email on 9/10 from the Charge Up staff that I posted here in this thread. Now this new press release today. So I guess I will contact the Tesla SA to see if they can complete the application process by Oct 15, even though my EDD is in November. It's crazy to think that I ordered on day 1 of Phase 2 and I might not get the incentive. The majority of the EVs qualifying for this program have to be Tesla Model Y and Model 3, right???
For Tesla vehicles yes since the Model Y LR is about as high you can get to stay under the $55k cap price for the rebate but don't forget all the other Ev cars that can get this rebate back as well. Im sure plenty of Mach-E buyers have been cashing in on this program and they also get the $7500 tax rebate as well.

For Tesla vehicles yes since the Model Y LR is about as high you can get to stay under the $55k cap price for the rebate but don't forget all the other Ev cars that can get this rebate back as well. Im sure plenty of Mach-E buyers have been cashing in on this program and they also get the $7500 tax rebate as well.
Maybe I'm being naive thinking the majority of the EVs being purchased under Phase 2 are Teslas. But that's really what I think and I'd be surprised if the Mach E has production volume to make a big dent in NJ's Charge Up program. I remember statistics being released from Phase 1 that showed Teslas were the vast majority that got the rebate, other brands were tiny in comparison. Wish I could find those stats.

The chargeup website do tell that, applications to dealer have to submitted by Oct 15. What if delivery happens after that date?

Most of the orders placed in July last week have a EDD of mid Oct to first week of November.

So dealer would submit paperwork after it is delivered, so we won't get the rebate?

I found the statistics on the Charge Up website. For Phase 1, it was mostly Teslas that got the rebate. I'm not able to filter the data for Phase 2.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Maybe I'm being naive thinking the majority of the EVs being purchased under Phase 2 are Teslas. But that's really what I think and I'd be surprised if the Mach E has production volume to make a big dent in NJ's Charge Up program. I remember statistics being released from Phase 1 that showed Teslas were the vast majority that got the rebate, other brands were tiny in comparison. Wish I could find those stats.
Well, lots of vehicles qualify - Eligible Vehicles | Charge Up New Jersey

Through the end of June, NJ had something like 30k BEV sales (registrations). I haven't seen a breakdown by brand.

FYI I just talked to Tesla Princeton who said my 7/15 order should be good and that they've gotten a ton of calls about this already. He was saying they've also been asked to apply for the incentive but they can't do that until they have an actual car to put on the application. They're still waiting to hear from the state on how to handle that one. So I guess.. we'll see? Hopefully I'll still get the rebate? If not I'm kind of out. Sounds silly but I'm counting on that big time.

Also a question I'm sure would get buried elsewhere, my initial credit offer just expired and he said don't reapply yet maybe wait a month or so. The wording of "Resubmit your credit application to proceed." is a bit vague. Does that mean a car is still on my way to me or it won't be allocated to me until I resubmit?

FYI I just talked to Tesla Princeton who said my 7/15 order should be good and that they've gotten a ton of calls about this already. He was saying they've also been asked to apply for the incentive but they can't do that until they have an actual car to put on the application. They're still waiting to hear from the state on how to handle that one. So I guess.. we'll see? Hopefully I'll still get the rebate? If not I'm kind of out. Sounds silly but I'm counting on that big time.

Also a question I'm sure would get buried elsewhere, my initial credit offer just expired and he said don't reapply yet maybe wait a month or so. The wording of "Resubmit your credit application to proceed." is a bit vague. Does that mean a car is still on my way to me or it won't be allocated to me until I resubmit?
I wonder if this part in bold, or having a VIN number, is the key to submitting the application. Once a VIN is known I wonder if Tesla can proceed with application even if the delivery is not ready yet. Or can the customer proceed with payment of the vehicle once the VIN is known even if there is some time between delivery dates.

Reactions: djr-atlantic
I wonder if this part in bold, or having a VIN number, is the key to submitting the application. Once a VIN is known I wonder if Tesla can proceed with application even if the delivery is not ready yet. Or can the customer proceed with payment of the vehicle once the VIN is known even if there is some time between delivery dates.

Right and that's the very unclear part of this all. I don't think Tesla or any dealership fully knows right now. And that leads to the question of where does the allotted funds status on the chargeup website come from?

I'm just guessing on how this works...

1. For you to get the rebate at time of sale, Tesla needs to reserve the 2K/5K ahead of time. I.e., they can't just give you a discount and then find out later that the state ran out of funds. That's the importance of the 9/15 reservation date from NJ
2. For Tesla to reserve, I'm sure that they need to put a VIN on the application so that the computer systems can look up the car and ensure that it qualifies for the rebate
3. Even if they reserve the money, there has to be a cutoff date for actual delivery to handle the people who cancel their order. E.g., if someone cancels, then the money is freed up for someone else. That's the importance of the 10/15 delivery date.

Basically, if you don't have a VIN by 9/15 and an actual delivery by 10/15, it seems like you are out of luck. Unfortunately for me, that describes my exact situation even though I placed my order on July 10th.

At this point, I see a few options.
1. Delay my order to 2022 and hope for the federal rebate
2. Change my order (I held off on the 7-seater because I wanted to fit within the rebate amount) and this would also push me to 2022
3. Take delivery of whenever and hope that NJ allocates more funds (unlikely)

Maybe there is some hope for those that have an EDD after Oct 15, if the program/eligibility is being "paused". Any lawyers in here? ;)

This excerpt is taken from the recent press release.
Based on the program’s current rate of application approvals and eligible vehicle orders, NJBPU estimates that the program’s Fiscal Year 2022 funding will be committed by September 15, 2021. To accurately capture all eligible orders for the program and ensure that residents have adequate time to receive and register their new EVs with the support of available program funding, the eligibility window for the FY22 program will be paused as of 9:00 p.m. ET on September 15, 2021 as NJBPU evaluates the program. This pause and evaluation is to ensure all eligible customers who ordered, purchased, or leased an eligible EV using a point-of-sale incentive receive that incentive. Pending funding availability, the FY22 Charge Up New Jersey Program may re-open prior to the next fiscal year.

This excerpt is taken from a letter issued by the NJBPU Secretary’s Office and mentions re-opening.
Vehicles ordered, purchased, or leased after 9 p.m. ET on September 15, 2021 and before the official re-opening of the program will not be eligible for an incentive. For more information about the Charge Up New Jersey Program, please visit Home | Charge Up New Jersey.

Links if you haven't seen them before:

That sounds like even more reason to delay the order then. I would be upset to miss both the NJ and the Federal rebate just due to timing of when Tesla could get a car to me.

Maybe I'm reading all of that wrong (very possible) but the "Vehicles ordered, purchased or leased will not be eligible after 9pm" part kind of sounds like as long as you placed an order you'll get the rebate?

Right and that's the very unclear part of this all. I don't think Tesla or any dealership fully knows right now. And that leads to the question of where does the allotted funds status on the chargeup website come from?
I have been trying to get answers from chargeup energy by emailing them from their website.

Here are my responses from them:

Thank you for your email. A vehicle ordered today would be eligible to receive the incentive. However, incentive funding is subject to availability at the time of delivery. There is no reservation process for funding for vehicles with a long delivery timeline. Incentives are given at a first-come, first-served basis.

Asked about the meaning of "reserved"

"Reserved" means an incentive application was submitted by the dealership and is pending review. "Ordered" means an application has not yet been submitted by a participating dealership but is still reflected on the funding dashboard. While the chart reflects these vehicle orders, funding cannot be reserved until the vehicle is delivered and the dealership submits an application per the program's terms and conditions.

The current dashboard reflects issued, reserved (with incentive application submitted by the dealership) and ordered vehicles (applications not yet submitted by a participating dealership). We cannot advise you regarding the status of your order or what actions to take, however the current dashboard reflects issued, reserved and ordered vehicles.

And their last response:

Incentive funding is only fully reserved and allocated to an eligible vehicle after the dealership submitted the complete application. Dealership must submit applications within 14 days of the completed vehicle transaction, which is after the vehicle has been delivered.

They do reply promptly....if not very informative.

Reactions: djr-atlantic
If NJBPU going to review order placed after 9/15/2021; why can't they review orders placed between 12/15/2020 and 7/5/2021 for phase 1 when they also ran out of money and couldn't qualify for phase 2 because of order date mandate? This wouldn't be fair.

Maybe I'm reading all of that wrong (very possible) but the "Vehicles ordered, purchased or leased will not be eligible after 9pm" part kind of sounds like as long as you placed an order you'll get the rebate?

Ideally, yes. But the Charge Up documents read like the Tesla SA needs to submit some type of application before Oct 15.
Dealerships and showrooms will be required to complete the manual application process for all eligible orders by October 15, 2021 as described in the updated Terms and Conditions. The program administrator will accept and review all applications with an eligible vehicle order, purchase, or lease date within the eligibility window.