Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargeplace Scotland 50kw CCS??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I discover that in 2018 someone shoved a Creme Egg into a Type 2 socket in Aberlour ....
Creme-Egg-547x372.jpg

Most of Scotland apparently - but specifically discussed the Loch Lomond area

I'd suggest he's fobbing you off :) On the live map only the two at Conic Hill are showing as unavailable (the car park is closed at moment) and one set of 7kw at Loch Lomond Shores which haven't worked since last year.

I'll pass by the CCS at Balloch next week if it's not still crap weather and see if it's working if you want.

I always find it best to validate your card and initiate the charge before plugging the CCS in. Never failed me yet. On a recent visit to a Morrison's store with a Genie Point CCS, I could not get it to work at all following the instructions on the charger. So SW reset on the car, initiate charge and then plug in CCS to fix it.

I think the CCS comms on my car times out too quickly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
I’ve had three Scottish trips over the last year or so, a week in Skye last summer, a week near Jedburgh in November, and a week in the Borders in July. While I was north of the border I relied exclusively on the CPS rapids, and ok, one or two were a bit slower than they should have been, and one was dead, but generally they were very good.

If you want to experience a really crappy charging network, try Ecotricity!

I’ve had three Scottish trips over the last year or so, a week in Skye last summer, a week near Jedburgh in November, and a week in the Borders in July. While I was north of the border I relied exclusively on the CPS rapids, and ok, one or two were a bit slower than they should have been, and one was dead, but generally they were very good.

If you want to experience a really crappy charging network, try Ecotricity!
This is good to know... started reading this thread with a bit of dread as I'm heading up to Kingussie in a few weeks time, want to be using the CCS charger there to get home again rather than my mates 13a socket!

Anyone know how quickly the CPS cards take to be delivered?

Reactions: Roy W.
This is good to know... started reading this thread with a bit of dread as I'm heading up to Kingussie in a few weeks time, want to be using the CCS charger there to get home again rather than my mates 13a socket!

We’re off to Skye again next month. :)

The CPS card will come within a week, unless they’ve been affected by Covid.

Reactions: Lucanesque

Dread, Kingussie? Good grief en route you are spoiled for choice with Superchargers, let alone multiple CYC chargers. Aviemore is just up the road and any route from the middle of England northwards provides multiple choices. Just travelling through Scotland your route will include SC options at Gretna, Abington, Eurocentral and Perth ... by all means be prepared to top up with a 13amp plug but it almost certainly won't be necessary.

Dread, Kingussie? Good grief en route you are spoiled for choice with Superchargers, let alone multiple CYC chargers. Aviemore is just up the road and any route from the middle of England northwards provides multiple choices. Just travelling through Scotland your route will include SC options at Gretna, Abington, Eurocentral and Perth ... by all means be prepared to top up with a 13amp plug but it almost certainly won't be necessary.

Dread reading there might be widespread vandalism, not going to Kingussie :D

I think I’ve got EV beginner anxiety :oops:

Dread reading there might be widespread vandalism, not going to Kingussie :D

I think I’ve got EV beginner anxiety :oops:

Yes, we've all experienced that newbie anxiety! At least it pushes you to plan. I've just read the Zapmap feedback for the CYC charger in Kingussie ... it reads to me like it's one of the most reliable in Scotland (famous last words obviously)! You'll have a great trip.:)

• Love
Reactions: Lucanesque
I’m just home after a fortnight trip to Scotland. Used Chargeplace Scotland CCS chargers in Hawick, Melrose and Killin (Nr Loch Tay). Other than the Hawick one being a bit slower than it should be, all worked fine. Even the site we stayed at near Loch Tay had Tesla destination chargers. Overall, a good experience. And I quite enjoyed getting free “fuel” for my entire trip. Made me a little sad that I hadn’t jumped on the Tesla journey earlier and got me some free supercharging :D

Only had my model 3 a few weeks and have exclusively charged it at the Falkirk Stadium 50Kw CCS chargers, which have worked a treat for me. I am fortunate enough to live a few minutes drive from this charge hub. Had a couple of issues like someone had hit the emergency stop button before I arrived and the chargepoint wouldn't reset, but there's always other chargers you can move to.

Guessing getting a charge Scotland card is worth it, even if I don't plan on doing longer journeys frequently?

I’d get it a few weeks before your due to travel as you need to renew it each year. Haven’t got my car yet but the card is mainly recommended as a lot of the remote chargers apparently have connectivity issues and can’t start from the app.

I ordered at end of July and it took just under 2 weeks to arrive :)

Reactions: j1mgg and Roy W.