Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint in Australia (Closed 31/01/2024)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, all you need is an RFID card of any sort to charge at a Chargepoint charger. As far as I can tell, the software on the charger reads the RFID and then tries to reach a backend that no longer exists. After a few seconds the API call fails, and the charger defaults to allow the charging session, possibly recording it in a buffer to bill you later, but that will never happen.

I have personally used a Chargefox card, but I am sure that an Evie or other might work as well. You might even be able to use an office key card and someone said a normal credit card might work as well, but this was not the case when I played around with it.

So, don't worry about any tricks, just enjoy.

By the way, the units on Kangaroo Island were something like 40A single phase, which gave me a much faster than expected charge rate.
I've just ordered a chargefox card and am hoping to add it to my chargepoint account via the app. Is it just the serial number printed on the outside of the card?

Have you tried a VPN and made your location USA?

No, because I don’t need to login. I have a physical ChargePoint RFID card as well as the Apple Wallet ChargePoint card. Just pointing out that you cannot login to the App or the site anymore using your current credentials if the address attached to those credentials is in Australia.

@AlonBerman earlier in this thread successfully logged in after using a VPN and signing up by pretending to live in the USA, but even then said “After signing up I logged into the app. It’s dysfunctional as you can’t see locations or get anything to work“ but you can then add the Chargepoint card to the Apple Wallet.

Reactions: B3AU
From the Hunter EV FB group.
Greenhills SC in Newcastle (Stockland operated) has replaced it's Chargepoint unit with a BYO Type2 on Chargefox.. looks like a Schneider EVLink unit inside a custom shell with LED lights.

Using existing single phase wiring.

FB_IMG_1695709608829.jpg

Other than the additional EO unit at Westfield Bondi, (and maybe one site on Kangaroo island) think this is the first replacement of an old Chargepoint box.

Reactions: Vostok and cafz
After not been able to authenticate for a few months I arranged for a physical card (delivered to US and forwarded by a friend) - still no joy. I spent some time at the charger trying different languages etc. but eventually gave up. What baffles me is there are some people who are able to unlock it still to charge. It may be a coincidence but the working ones seem to be on non-Teslas. My next move is to try register a new account.

IMG_8613.jpeg

After not been able to authenticate for a few months I arranged for a physical card (delivered to US and forwarded by a friend) - still no joy. I spent some time at the charger trying different languages etc. but eventually gave up. What baffles me is there are some people who are able to unlock it still to charge. It may be a coincidence but the working ones seem to be on non-Teslas. My next move is to try register a new account.

View attachment 1004081
Don't bother. it is impossible to create a new account that will work in Australia - as a matter of fact the only way to create an account is to use a VPN and connect to one of the VPN's servers that are not in Australia or NZ, and then create an account on the US web site and then it won't work when you do - it will come up with the "Your card is not recognized" message

If you put a VPN on your phone and connect to one of the VPN's servers that are not in Australia or NZ you can not even see the Chargers in Australia in the Chargepoint App

The Australian Chargepoint network/servers are totally isolated from the US or European Chargepoint networks

As far as I can work out the severance occurred late August, and only accounts that were registered on the Australian network still work - I have a Tesla by the way and I see heaps of Tesla that are still charging at the chargers I use

This is not a custom shell by the way, this is just how the new Schneider units are setup. The inside unit can be mounted on a wall, or the upper metal enclosure, which includes a junction box and other hookup hardware can be mounted on a post, or the whole unit with the bottom pillar can be purchased. These can also support back-to-back EVSEs to reproduce the double port unit that they used to sell.

I really like these units. They are far easier to activate than the old units which required an arcane combination of button presses and flap opening etc and this often made it hard to activate them. The new units are just plug and activate. They can be had with both BYO and fixed cable configurations.

The giant and very visible arched LED thing provides excellent status indication from across a car park from every direction.
From the Hunter EV FB group.
Greenhills SC in Newcastle (Stockland operated) has replaced it's Chargepoint unit with a BYO Type2 on Chargefox.. looks like a Schneider EVLink unit inside a custom shell with LED lights.

Looks like they are formally leaving Australia. I got this email overnight:

Hello,

As a valued member of our charging network, we are reaching out to let you know that as of February 1, 2024, ChargePoint will no longer maintain a presence in Australia. This means that after January 31, 2024, the ChargePoint network and ChargePoint app will be shut down in Australia. Your charging activity and account will no longer be available.

Today, we will begin the process of decommissioning stations on the ChargePoint network and placing them in a “just charge” mode. A “just charge” station, while disconnected from the ChargePoint network, can still charge your electric vehicle. You will be able to unlock the station's holsters using any standard RFID card, including the ChargePoint RFID card or a credit card. However, you will no longer be able to unlock the holster using the ChargePoint app.

A few additional things to know:
  • If you have a balance on your account, we will issue a refund back to your preferred payment method on January 31, 2024. You can easily update your preferred payment method by logging into your ChargePoint account, clicking Account, then Payments, then Payment Source.
  • If you’d like a copy of your charging activity data, you can easily access and download it prior to the migration by logging into your ChargePoint account, clicking Account, then Charging Activity. For each month you’d like to download, click Download CSV in the top right corner of the table.
  • If you’d like a copy of your monthly statements, you can easily access and download them prior to the migration by logging into your ChargePoint account, clicking Account, then Monthly Statements. For each month you’d like to download, click Print and Save as PDF.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply to [email protected] for help.  

Thank you,

Team ChargePoint

It's a weird email.
They sent a similar notice about the chargers being put in "just charge" mode in early 2020 when they left the country.

Indeed Australia wasn't even mentioned in the IPO Prospectus from late 2020.

The issue is more recently most of the chargers seem to have reverted to only accepting a specific set of older cards.

Notwithstanding that being Type 1 the units are pretty useless to 99% of EVs in Australia today.

The ChargePoint chargers in Bondi Junction Westfield are heavily used and often all 4 stalls are full. Westfield even managed to repair one of the stalls that was broken after ChargePoint announced they had ceased support in Australia.
Lots of people have invested in a J1772 to Type 2 adapter.

The ChargePoint chargers in Bondi Junction Westfield are heavily used and often all 4 stalls are full. Westfield even managed to repair one of the stalls that was broken after ChargePoint announced they had ceased support in Australia.
Lots of people have invested in a J1772 to Type 2 adapter.
Meanwhile the ChargePoint chargers at Westfield Miranda were physically removed.

(I'm guessing Scentre Group haven't published their EV charging strategy anywhere?)

The ChargePoint chargers in Bondi Junction Westfield are heavily used and often all 4 stalls are full
Freeloader effect. Even if you can charge at home, why wouldn't you use a free charger when you shop.

Particularly given all the other council / Arena Intellihub AC chargers in the area (and that's now 30+ points) are charging commercial rates (42 to 50c/kWh).

If you had 50 free Type 2s in Westfield Bondi I'm sure they would also be in constant use.

Scentre Group (who owns Westfield in Aus) have been very slow on any EV policy post the initial Tesla and Chargepoint rollout almost 5yrs ago.
One day I guess.

(Indeed those units might be even older. From 2016 - BMW and Westfield team up to install 40 EV charge points around Oz )

Last edited:
Reactions: B3AU and dronus
Freeloader effect. Even if you can charge at home, why wouldn't you use a free charger when you shop.

Particularly given all the other council / Arena Intellihub AC chargers in the area (and that's now 30+ points) are charging commercial rates (42 to 50c/kWh).

If you had 50 free Type 2s in Westfield Bondi I'm sure they would also be in constant use.

Scentre Group (who owns Westfield in Aus) have been very slow on any EV policy post the initial Tesla and Chargepoint rollout almost 5yrs ago.
One day I guess.

(Indeed those units might be even older. From 2016 - BMW and Westfield team up to install 40 EV charge points around Oz )
Foresure. Id be more likely to go to a shopping centre if i could hook up and charge while im there.
Id probably end up spending more that the electricity would have been at home, but it helps local businesses and all of that..

Reactions: Jules22