Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint in Australia (Closed 31/01/2024)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Freeloader effect. Even if you can charge at home, why wouldn't you use a free charger when you shop.

If you had 50 free Type 2s in Westfield Bondi I'm sure they would also be in constant use.

I went to IKEA Tempe last week and the four AC chargers there are very heavily used based on PlugShare checkins. Indeed I used one, there was one spot left, so “why not”? There are also 2 Evie chargers there, so if someone “needed a charge” they could use that.

When we came back, a bloke in his Model Y was parked in the first spot next to the chargers, waiting for someone to leave so that he could plug in. Which he did.

Those of us with ChargePoint accounts have been receiving these warning emails:

You have three days left to update your preferred payment method and download your charging activity before your ChargePoint account is deleted.

You won’t be able to access your charging activity or account after February 1, 2024, and the ChargePoint app will no longer be available in any app store in Australia.

A few additional things to know:
  • If you have a balance on your account, we will issue a refund back to your preferred payment method on January 31, 2024. You can easily update your preferred payment method by logging into your ChargePoint account, clicking Account, then Payments, then Payment Source.
  • If you’d like a copy of your charging activity data, you can easily access and download it prior to the migration by logging into your ChargePoint account, clicking Account, then Charging Activity. For each month you’d like to download, click Download CSVin the top right corner of the table.
  • If you’d like a copy of your monthly statements, you can easily access and download them prior to the migration by logging into your ChargePoint account, clicking Account, then Monthly Statements. For each month you’d like to download, click Print and Save as PDF.
Remember, beginning February 1, 2024, stations on the ChargePoint network will operate in a “just charge” mode. A “just charge” station, while disconnected from the ChargePoint network, can still charge your electric vehicle. You will be able to unlock the station's holsters using any standard RFID card, including the ChargePoint RFID card or a credit card.

However, going to the website ChargePoint Driver Portal as per the link in the email results in "Unable to load Page" message and has done so for the past couple of weeks 🤷‍♂️

Seems like they have already turned the lights off...

Those of us with ChargePoint accounts have been receiving these warning emails:

However, going to the website ChargePoint Driver Portal as per the link in the email results in "Unable to load Page" message and has done so for the past couple of weeks 🤷‍♂️

Seems like they have already turned the lights off...
Yeah it's been broken for months for me - I emailed two weeks ago and had no reply.
I also pointed out the app hasn't worked for months - I get an 'invalid error' when logging in from Australia, and an incorrect password error when logging in from the US (and a reset password email never arrives)

Yeah it's been broken for months for me - I emailed two weeks ago and had no reply.
I also pointed out the app hasn't worked for months - I get an 'invalid error' when logging in from Australia, and an incorrect password error when logging in from the US (and a reset password email never arrives)
Chargepoint never got back to me, after a few emails over a few weeks.

If you try to login at ChargePoint Driver Portal with an AU account, it'll take you to How do I start a charging session at a ChargePoint station in Australia? | ChargePoint

ChargePoint stations in Australia operate in a "just charge" mode.

To start a session:
  1. Hold any standard RFID card, including the ChargePoint card or a credit card, up to the station's reader to unlock the connector.
  2. Connect the charging cable to your vehicle.
  3. Check to make sure your EV is charging.
  4. Unplug the cable from your EV and go about your day when finished.

From a few posts on Plugshare the Chargepoint Type 1 chargers (and the EO Type 2) have been removed at Westfield Bondi Junction.

Not clear if something new is coming or not.
And/or whether Westfield will be doing this everywhere.

Screenshot_20240212_162324.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
From a few posts on Plugshare the Chargepoint Type 1 chargers (and the EO Type 2) have been removed at Westfield Bondi Junction.

Not clear if something new is coming or not.
And/or whether Westfield will be doing this everywhere.

View attachment 1017563
I talked to Westfield Bondi Concierge today and the official line is that they are looking into alternatives but have no ETA of a replacement at this time.

Reactions: moa999 and B3AU
The ones at Carindale in Brisbane have had the power to them turned off

I was told that Westfields had decided to replace them and ones at other Westfields with ones that could be used by everyone instead of just those that had the adapter and a Chargepoint account as no new accounts could be created, but could give no ETA as to when that would happen

Why they could not have left them operational until they did get around to installing the new ones beats me

Reactions: moa999
No one to ping for the energy use? They might have decided to go for paid AC charging…
Think the Chargepoint units as Westfield were always free.

Agree paid AC would be a good thing, if only to deter the freeloaders, just hope at a reasonable rate, and maybe cheaper during daylight hours reflecting the solar panels most Westfield's have.

But it also needs a massive expansion in the number of units, hopefully at multiple locations in that massive place.