Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger vs ChargePoint (or others) - Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of which is unnecessary. You would never dial down the amps when charging a Tesla at home, or charge to a set number of kWh, or stop after a certain time. Just keep the car plugged in when you’re home and let the car charge when it needs to (or set time to start in the car if you have TOU rate). Some people make this way too complicated. You may be overthinking this.

There are times when I have needed to limit the current demand or set a finish time for charging rather than a set start time where flexibility and control enables possibilities rather than one size fits all situations. There have been situations where I needed to adjust the current to match the wiring capacity. For example if you have a 30A electrical dryer service that isn't used then you can connect and set the OpenEVSE to 24A and charge without having to update your 30A wiring or upgrade your electrical service. (I can also set the max charging current of the Tesla from inside the car but not make the adjustment from an app or remotely.) Also if you have multiple EVSE connections in your electrical system, being able to set the current or schedule the amount of energy or overlay the start stop times to balance the line loading can be useful. In some power delivery schedules the power demand is part of the energy bill and having the ability to adjust the power level to minimize the power demand can save substantial 'energy demand' fees. With the advent of negative electrical energy prices, having this type of control will be useful to enable a smarter grid and enable future upgrades as technology advances. And the unit can be operated with default settings so you don't have to do anything extra.

I just had a Tesla wall connector installed today. The electrician installed a 60a breaker, so the wall connector is delivering 48 amps @ 240v.

I'm very happy with the install; he did a really nice job. He also added a simple outdoor non-fused disconnect - that's the box next to the charger. The really nice thing about this style of installation is that - if for some reason I ever want to replace the Tesla charger, it's very simple to do so. Just have to shut off the power, open the disconnect, remove the Tesla charger and install whatever I want. This is a very simple way to change things later if I need something different.

Great install and I'm charing at a full 48amps. Love it - strongly recommended.

Can I get information on your electrician? I recently purchased a Model 3 and am looking to get the Tesla wall connector installed as soon as possible, but want to make sure I go with an electrician who does a good job. I see you're from Morris County, I'm from Somerset so the distance should work out.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Can I get information on your electrician? I recently purchased a Model 3 and am looking to get the Tesla wall connector installed as soon as possible, but want to make sure I go with an electrician who does a good job. I see you're from Morris County, I'm from Somerset so the distance should work out.

Sent you a private message with his info ... nothing but great things to say about him.

I'm planning my first Tesla purchase. Hoping to get some input. We have a vacation home that we rent out, I would like to get a universal EV charger installed. It will be outside so it would be nice if there was some control of it and I may possibly charge for usage. EV Match seems like a good solution for handling charging $ for usage if I choose to do that. They require a specific model of charger. The JuiceBox charger seems like a suitable unit. Anyone have any experience with rental properties and this idea?

Seems like it would also make sense to get the same unit for my residence? I think the Tesla unit charges a bit faster but then you're locked into having a Tesla, right? I'm also considering a Mach E at some point but who really knows... The rental property would need to have universal charging, not so much at my house.

Also a 30% Fed tax incentive that looks like it expires at the end of this year, so I should figure this out soon!

Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
I'm planning my first Tesla purchase. Hoping to get some input. We have a vacation home that we rent out, I would like to get a universal EV charger installed. It will be outside so it would be nice if there was some control of it and I may possibly charge for usage. EV Match seems like a good solution for handling charging $ for usage if I choose to do that. They require a specific model of charger. The JuiceBox charger seems like a suitable unit. Anyone have any experience with rental properties and this idea?

Seems like it would also make sense to get the same unit for my residence? I think the Tesla unit charges a bit faster but then you're locked into having a Tesla, right? I'm also considering a Mach E at some point but who really knows... The rental property would need to have universal charging, not so much at my house.

Also a 30% Fed tax incentive that looks like it expires at the end of this year, so I should figure this out soon!

Thank you.

My honest opinion for a rental unit ... what I’d probably do is maybe put a lock on the handle & leave the key in the kitchen, but include the charging as a rental perk. Maybe even just a switch inside to turn it on/off? You’re talking a few dollars in electricity at most, and adding the infrastructure to handle charging etc would probably cost more than the electricity.

And, as a Tesla owner - if I were looking for a rental property, one with a charger included would definitely factor into my decision. Pretty heavily - it’s more emotional than logical, but it would. Good marketing for your property!

So all that said ... I’d install something with a J-1772 connector and be done with it. Costco sells several even, so that’s a good possibility.

Now at home - the best thing to do is install a 14-50 receptacle. Then you can plug any charger you please into it. The Tesla charger that comes with the car will work great - you’d just need the $35 NEMA 14-50 plug for it. The 14-50 would also support any other car (e-Tron, Mach-E, Taycan, Bolt, leaf, Kona, etc) ....

only reason I’d suggest the J1772 at the rental is so others won’t need to bring an adapter.

20200729_093021.jpg

Thank you.

I'd consider a Tesla HPWC, a J1772 adapter, and a locking box to house them. Offer the box's lock combination for, say, $20 for the weekend or maybe $40 per week for unlimited charging.

The adapter I use:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V7V2QT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.E2zFbKMA3DW4

As I understand his requirements:

1. Ability to connect to both Tesla and J-1772 vehicles [done and simple with a Tesla HPWC and the mentioned J-1772 adapter]
2. High power [the Tesla HPWC does at least 11.5 kW]
3. Low price [about $500]
4. Ability for renters to use, perhaps for a fee, which suggests
5. Denying renters who do NOT want to pay the fee

A 14-50 outlet would have to be locked up to facilitate #5, lest a renter brings his own 240V connector and "steals" power. And, the homeowner would have to have a Tesla mobile connector or third party J-1772 connector at the house, able to brought outside and properly plugged in by renter's who don't have their own EVSE. Where would that be kept? Does he want to take the phone call about how to connect car A to connector B? Or that they can't find the adapter?

Without a locker, since he said the installation will be outside, the J-1772 adapter would be out in the wild. You can lock it to a vehicle by running a lock through the adapter's latch once it's plugged onto the car's port, but there is no way to lock the adapter to the Tesla nozzle. So, if the HPWC is mounted on the exterior wall, anyone could wander by and steal the J-1772 adapter and then also charge his Tesla for free.

My way has the renter unlock the locker and plug in the car. If it's the other kind of car, add the adapter that is sitting there in the locker. When done, lock it all up, please. Using a three-digit combo lock would be secure and easy.

Thanks for all the ideas. I do think we are going to start out and just offer as a perk - we charge enough for weekly rentals. Could change down the road. I was thinking about off rental times when nobody was there - wouldn't want just anyone to charge their EV up at my expense.

Maybe the switch idea in the house works well. The different chargers still confuse me. Sounds like maybe the JuiceBox route isn't the best? It seemed like the app and WiFi connectivity would give me control over the charger - e.g. - lock it up via the App when nobody was there. I know it's a bit more $ but really not much more than the Tesla HPWC. Sounds like maybe there's a downside with using a 3rd party unit like that?

Something with a J1772 is likely better for long term as more EV cars are able to travel longer distances. And yes, the juice isn’t much more. Is it good outdoors?

I certainly wouldn’t sign up for something like ChargePoint or pay for a subscription service to manage it. Would cost more that the energy used - until EVs become the norm.

I have a chargepoint charger. If you installed one you'd be able to monitor electric charging on the app. It tells you when they charged and estimated cost based on the electric company and plan you selected. You can also turn it on and off from them app. Set scheduled time of use charging on and off. See the amps, kwh stuff.

It charges at up to 50amps is hardwired or it can plug into a 14-50.

I had a Tesla charger and the chargepoint is better. This is a tesla forum so this won't be popular.

I haven't had a juice box so can't comment on that.

Last edited:
I have a chargepoint charger. If you installed one you'd be able to monitor electric charging on the app. It tells you when they charged and estimated cost based on the electric company and plan you selected. You can also turn it on and off from them app. Set scheduled time of use charging on and off. See the amps, kwh stuff.

It charges at up to 50amps is hardwired or it can plug into a 14-50.

I had a Tesla charger and the chargepoint is better. This is a tesla forum so this won't be popular.

I haven't had a juice box so can't comment on that.

Don't worry about popularity. I have the Gen 2 HPWC. I just ordered the ChargePoint Home Flex because PSEG is offering $500 off and if I sign up for charging from 11pm-6am, I get 5 cents off per kWh, so it's practically free. The wife's next car may be electric, and most likely not a Tesla, so I need to have flexibility.

Don't worry about popularity. I have the Gen 2 HPWC. I just ordered the ChargePoint Home Flex because PSEG is offering $500 off and if I sign up for charging from 11pm-6am, I get 5 cents off per kWh, so it's practically free. The wife's next car may be electric, and most likely not a Tesla, so I need to have flexibility.

Hey we are both in the same area. And yep I went from the Tesla charger to chargepoint because of the pseg rebate and time of use metering. I already got the rebate you just do it online. They will credit your bill or mail a check. I don't mind using the adapter I 3d printed a holder for it and leave it on the wall.

The Tesla charger was fine but its got no app control. The chargepoint is better cause it knows to charge only 11-6 because I set that and I can decide to hit start now if I wanted on the app and I can see my estimated cost. It will also send me a reminder if I forgot to plug in the car at a certain time.

It does basic things that I am sure tesla will get around to adding eventually to the new chargers but they haven't yet. Also it was easier to install.

Screenshot_20200922-201938~2.png Screenshot_20200922-202021~2.png

Reactions: garth_angst