Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Install : Thanks EV Domestic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I live in a fairly new house, I knew the cable routing for the charger was going to be an issue as my power distribution box is almost central in the house and the garage where I wanted the charger was well away from this. My concern was that if I just booked an install and a guy turned up without full understanding of the best way to do this, that he would rush the job as he had others to do that day and the results would look a mess.

Luckily, someone on this forum posted a question about installation and an installer from EV Domestic posted a really helpful reply. So I contacted him and was able to exchange lots of info/photos/videos that enabled him to suggest a really sympathetic install that was all but invisible.

He arrived with all the necessary stuff and was done within a few hours and the result is way better than I could have hoped for.

A big thumbs up to EV Domestic for a fabulous job. (btw, I had a PodPoint Solo installed).

Just 2 more sleeps until I have something to plug into it now!

My advice for Charger installation is always go to the OLEV installers list find a locally registered installer who will come out and check the site and do a bespoke quote. It's much better than going via a charger manufacturers site who will (over) charge a standard rate then send in the cheapest subcontractor they can find fully unprepared.
Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme authorised installers
Sorry, I get lost in all the abbreviations on this site. What is OLEV? I get the Electric Vehicle part, but not the “OL”. Thanks!

Sorry, I get lost in all the abbreviations on this site. What is OLEV? I get the Electric Vehicle part, but not the “OL”. Thanks!
Office for Low Emission Vehicles. its a common abbreviation for the scheme where you get a grant towards the cost of installation of a charger which is how most people do it so you need a registered installer. technically I guess it should probably be the OLEV EVHC scheme but everyone just calls it OLEV.

Although I live in a fairly new house, I knew the cable routing for the charger was going to be an issue as my power distribution box is almost central in the house and the garage where I wanted the charger was well away from this. My concern was that if I just booked an install and a guy turned up without full understanding of the best way to do this, that he would rush the job as he had others to do that day and the results would look a mess.

Luckily, someone on this forum posted a question about installation and an installer from EV Domestic posted a really helpful reply. So I contacted him and was able to exchange lots of info/photos/videos that enabled him to suggest a really sympathetic install that was all but invisible.

He arrived with all the necessary stuff and was done within a few hours and the result is way better than I could have hoped for.

A big thumbs up to EV Domestic for a fabulous job. (btw, I had a PodPoint Solo installed).

Just 2 more sleeps until I have something to plug into it now!

Pictures of install?

Reactions: CMc1
Here you go, some pics.

Cable had to run from 1.5m inside the house (arrow), and all the way around to the garage.

Had to negotiate some obstacles like drainpipes and gas meters.

Apparently, Regs state that the cable must either be a spade depth under the surface, or visible. I thought this was a great compromise putting it just at gravel level.

The only place it was visible was over the tarmac.

Great pics and nice house. I’m surprised the wire is allowed to be exposed. I would think it could be vulnerable to, for example, a weed whacker.

Looks great though and makes for a much easier install.

Thanks Gavin. His armoured cable so you’ll need something fairly hefty to break through that. In the U.K., it meets our Building Regs.

Forgot to mention that I paid a few beans more per metre of cable (“HO7”) which is much more flexible and allowed a tighter bend around the 90° corners.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado