Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts about Charger installation quote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attached a rough sketch of my house plan with the Consumer Unit and charger location. It has go from the CU which is on the ground floor to the detached garage.

I already have a connection going from the CU to the garage but that is a 3 x 2.5 (3 copper cores of 2.5mm diameter) connection and the installer said that is not enough as it will charge at half the speed. So the need to get the new wire from the CU seems to be costing a lot extra.

He quoted a very high price of £2300 including VAT. Includes:

* MyEnergi Zappi 2 (Tethered) & Installation- £983
* Harvi and Load Management - £80
* Extra Cable & Upgrade to SWA EV Ultra - £275
* Awkward Cable Run & Extra Time required - £300
* Trench to be dug to run cable in - £300

Any thoughts on this quotation ? Is the load management, extra fuse box really necessary ? Did you guys have to do something similar

Attachments

• 40A55EC0-DB9A-4854-8414-2D0D017963FA.jpeg
    40A55EC0-DB9A-4854-8414-2D0D017963FA.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 132
Attached a rough sketch of my house plan with the Consumer Unit and charger location. It has go from the CU which is on the ground floor to the detached garage.

I already have a connection going from the CU to the garage but that is a 3 x 2.5 (3 copper cores of 2.5mm diameter) connection and the installer said that is not enough as it will charge at half the speed. So the need to get the new wire from the CU seems to be costing a lot extra.

He quoted a very high price of £2300 including VAT. Includes:

* MyEnergi Zappi 2 (Tethered) & Installation- £983
* Harvi and Load Management - £80
* Extra Cable & Upgrade to SWA EV Ultra - £275

Any thoughts on this quotation ? Is the load management, extra fuse box really necessary ? Did you guys have to do something similar
Why from CU?

can't you have it wired at the meter and wrap cable around the house?

Upvote 0
One of my 3 Phase Zappi Charger (Tethered) installations cost me £2,500 with a reduction of £350 grant.

That was for the 22kW Zappi (Tethered), 25 metres of 3 Phase cabling with seperate data cable, 3 Phase Distribution Board, Fuses, External meter box, commissioning & paperwork with DNO.

I did the trench work myself which was very time consuming to avoid the extra costs.

In comparison, my other 22kW Zappi (untethered), 7 metres of 3 Phase cabling, fuses, commissioning and paperwork cost me £1,300 and again, I did the trench work myself.

Upvote 1

I dont know how long the trench is or how long etc, but this is the bit i have a tough time with, £600 in labour to run a run. (unless in in concrete for 10m i cant see how its going to take 1.5-2 days to do that.

Upvote 0

I dont know how long the trench is or how long etc, but this is the bit i have a tough time with, £600 in labour to run a run. (unless in in concrete for 10m i cant see how its going to take 1.5-2 days to do that.

+VAT

All those prices listed above didn't include VAT

So they're quoting £360 to dig a cable trench, and an extra £360 for an awkward cable run

Upvote 0
It’s expensive but you are also potentially paying someone £50/hour plus VAT to dig a hole which you could do yourself for nothing.

I also don’t think you need a harvi anymore if it’s being run in with a data cable. The whole point of the data cable is to hard wire the CT clamp for the Zappi and as long as it’s in WiFi range, that’s all it needs.

Upvote 0
It’s expensive but you are also potentially paying someone £50/hour plus VAT to dig a hole which you could do yourself for nothing.

I also don’t think you need a harvi anymore if it’s being run in with a data cable. The whole point of the data cable is to hard wire the CT clamp for the Zappi and as long as it’s in WiFi range, that’s all it needs.

Yes, it looks like a network cable is being used for the Zappi CT clamp but I think you may still need a Harvi if you are linking to an Eddi and/or solar depending on the setup. If OP is only installing a Zappi then you're right Harvi is not needed.

Upvote 0