Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a Model 3 on 22kW / 3 phase industrial outlets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All,

I am a first time Tesla owner and have just picked up a Model 3.

I really like the car but have a charging question, if anyone can help.

I would like to know if I can charge from the 3 phase 22kW industrial (Commando) red outlets at my workplace. Please see image attached.

If I can, does anyone know where I can get an adapter cable to change the supplied Type 2 socket that I use on my Rolec wallpod at home to enable me to plug into the Commando outlet at work ?

Another guy at work has an electric Jaguar that he plugs in to these but he uses a very expensive cable from Juice Technology called a Booster https://www.juice-technology.com/juice-booster?lang=en This works fine but is maga expensive at about £900.

Is this the only solution or is there a less expensive way to do it ?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

Attachments

• 3 Phase plug.jpg
    3 Phase plug.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 100
Depends - if you already have the Gen2 adapter that came with the car, adding the EVSE adapter is much cheaper than buying a Gen1 and the appropriate adapters ...

The issue is dmurphy that Gen 2 maxes out at 32A x 1 phase so you are very much limited in your power draw.
So from a three phrase 16A outlet you can only pull 16A which is the same as the regular UK plug.

I guess a valid argument would be that unlike Russia/Australia/other huge countries high amperage AC charging isn't really needed and overnight even 16A isn't too bad. I guess that's true and in that case it is a valid option.
That said, if you arrive with 5% at 21:00 at a hotel and plug into a 3 phase 16A outlet and want to leave at 08:00 the next day you will only be at 60%. If it is a 32A 3 phase outlet you'd be able to pull 32A with the gen 2 UMC which would mean you'd get a full charge...

A Gen 1 UMC would allow you to pull 48A (spread over 3 phases of 16A each) which particularly in remote Australia where the grid often runs on 245V means a full charge only takes around 5:30h....