Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen them used underneath kitchen benchtops to power inductive hot plates or ovens

And these days, 32A residential appliances are generally hardwired with an isolation switch, and don’t use sockets like that one. They are probably not considered very safe anymore.

Industrial 32A sockets have the threaded collar and round pins as others have noted.

Reactions: dronus and Rosier
I think I will get a dedicated 15A installed for the time being. My commute is 6km each way so I think I sips be able to get away with it. My UMC came with the new 15/15.
Good idea. Can get pretty good outdoor 15a outlets these days. With that short commute you should be good overnight! Can always pop down to a fast charger somewhere if anything else comes up.

Good idea. Can get pretty good outdoor 15a outlets these days. With that short commute you should be good overnight! Can always pop down to a fast charger somewhere if anything else comes up.
Exactly. I think 15A will be enough for now. And my car gets parked in the garage so weather isn’t always an issue but I’ll get the best outlet I can find.

I’m yet to do my research on what percentages to charge to and from. Mines a LR. I think these delivery delays are a good opportunity for me to jump into that rabbit hole.

Reactions: dronus
I think I will get a dedicated 15A installed for the time being. My commute is 6km each way so I think I sips be able to get away with it. My UMC came with the new 15/15.
6km each way is 12km total. Assume bad efficiency at 180wh/km and then round that up to 200wh/km because it's late and I couldn't be bothered doing hard mental arithmetic.

2,400wh total, so 1 hour (roughly) of charging with a 10A tail - 40 minutes @ 15A tail.

Reactions: dronus and Rosier
That’s very helpful info. Thanks. That’s almost 2 days worth of power, roughly. I reckon I can get away with charging once a week. My power company has a 6 hour EV window every night.
My LR I set to a 70% target SOC and charge every night (with scheduled departure, with off-peak end time set to 7am).

I'll bump up the target SOC when I have a long drive the next day, but it spends most of its time between 50% and 70%.

(When calculating how much charging time, don't forget to account additional use from sentry mode while it's parked at work).

Reactions: Rosier and dronus
My LR I set to a 70% target SOC and charge every night (with scheduled departure, with off-peak end time set to 7am).

I'll bump up the target SOC when I have a long drive the next day, but it spends most of its time between 50% and 70%.

(When calculating how much charging time, don't forget to account additional use from sentry mode while it's parked at work).
Its really interesting to learn form you guys that already do this. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Not sure if this is the correct thread to put this in, but I thought it might be useful for anyone that is thinking about installing a 32A socket/plug for a wall charger instead of hard wiring it in.
I opted to get a socket in instead of hard wiring the charger in. My electrician had originally quoted me for the job, but then had to update the quote once he found out the new prices for the 32A socket, plug and wiring (apparently they have gone up!).
The socket was ~$220 + GST, and the plug was ~$120 + GST.
So adding a socket/plug will add ~$340 + GST to your install when compared to hard wiring.
1706607532431.png

Seems they've got an expensive source versus some.

Eg.
Damn! My electrician actually showed my his receipts, as he went and bought from the local wholesaler after checking the property out. Should've of probably supplied the parts myself, assuming I can purchase from a wholesaler.

Damn! My electrician actually showed my his receipts, as he went and bought from the local wholesaler after checking the property out. Should've of probably supplied the parts myself, assuming I can purchase from a wholesaler.
There's a potential "false economy" in doing something like that which depends on the price difference, and how aware one is of the parts required.

The first and most obvious issue is the fact that if the parts required aren't straightforward, you may inadvertently order the wrong item. Wholesalers generally aren't equipped to deal with "change of mind" returns, which can lead to hassle, and potentially 2 lots of shipping costs incurred that you will lose (the supplier sending you the part, then you having to return it).

The second issue comes from a warranty issue, should it arise. Every electrician I have spoken to is happy to use consumer-provided parts, but the caveat is, if there is a fault caused by parts suplied by the end user - the cost of a return visit, and work required to rectify becomes at the cost of the consumer if the fault is proven to be the parts used and not workmanship.

I had this very conversation with an electrician I hired to complete the fit-out of a workshop I am building. I suggested I could supply the GPO's required (they were dual 15A GPO's, and there were 23 of them - at minimum $50 per GPO, it was going to add up fast). He was happy for me to supply them, with the above caveat. He was transparent enough to tell me his typical mark-up on all items was 20% on top of wholesale, and for that he would assume responsibility for any warranty/faults.

Needless to say, he supplied the GPO's, and I don't bother looking for any parts any more.

(All of the above ignores the fact that depending on what you're buying, there are some brands/makes electricians will refuse to install or use - particularly electrical cable, many will recall the "Bunnings cable" issue, which came down to the cost of labour, not the value of a roll of cable, which I believe is all that folks could ultimately claim back).

I rarely ask for quotes. I have 1 ekectrician and plumber that I get to do all the jobs around the house. It's never about the cheapest. Good relationships with your trades is far more important than getting the best price.

I didn't ask for a quote from my regular sparky for the 3 phase Wall Connector installation with a 50m cable run and isolation switch. His price in the end was extremely competitive based on what others have said in these and other forums but that's not the point