Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm lets go back for full context
As long as you realise that this will still only charge your car at 32A single phase and that many outback sites will not be happy with you dumping 32A on just one phase of their already-stressed generator
It’s fine to do it though on a grid-connected 5-pin socket. Pulling 32A on one phase won’t upset anything.
Apparently not at some Roadhouses which run off generators
“It’s fine to do it though on a grid-connected 5-pin socket.” 🙄
See the rest of my comment "which run off generators"
A 5-pin grid connected socket does not run off generators… sheesh.
In summary:

Wood Wombat referred to generators being problematic not grid
You referred to grid not being problematic
I then said generator sites are problematic
You again said grid

When the problem is occurring at generator sites, saying grid is OK is moot.

The first statement from @WoodWombat does not make it clear that drawing 32A single phase from a grid connected 5-pin socket, even at “outback sites” is not a problem. Not all “outback sites” are off grid or diesel generator powered. A lot of people might not have known that, or not realised there is a distinction to be made. So I made a helpful clarification.

There’s nothing further to add.

Work has built an improved carpark with industrial IP66 10A sockets
The carpark is partially outdoors.

Are there other solutions out there to keep the rain out?
So you have 10A power available with some parking spots exposed to weather.

I suggest you measure the distance from the furthest exposed parking spot to the 10A power point.
If the distance is 3m or less, buy this, if greater than 3m still buy it but put in a request for a custom length.

The CEEform connection between tail and the adaptor is IP67

Reactions: Quickst
What about buying an IP66 plug, a normal 10A cable socket and make a short extension/conversion cable?
Yes that might be the easiest. EVchargers sell these: The UMC is supposed to be IP55, but I think the blue CEE are IP44
IMG_2021.jpeg

Has anyone ever seen/used one of these?
I've seen them used underneath kitchen benchtops to power inductive hot plates or ovens

Wondering if you can get a UMC tail for this.

Most of the third party 32A tails seem to use the three round pin version, instead of the 3 flat pin version in your image.
Which is bizarre to me, because if you install one of the round pin sockets it can't be used for anything else, whereas the flat pin will at least accept standard 10A and 15A plugs as well (and the less common 20A flat pin)

But you might be able to convince one of those third party suppliers to put a flat pin plug on it instead

OR order one without a plug on it, and when you get the sparky to install the socket get him to put a plug on the tail at the same time.

Reactions: Rosier
I've seen them used underneath kitchen benchtops to power inductive hot plates or ovens

Most of the third party 32A tails seem to use the three round pin version, instead of the 3 flat pin version in your image.
Which is bizarre to me, because if you install one of the round pin sockets it can't be used for anything else, whereas the flat pin will at least accept standard 10A and 15A plugs as well (and the less common 20A flat pin)

But you might be able to convince one of those third party suppliers to put a flat pin plug on it instead

OR order one without a plug on it, and when you get the sparky to install the socket get him to put a plug on the tail at the same time.

Id suggest that the 3 pin round ones are used for several reasons, and ironically one of them is so that other people dont plug random stuff into them :)

But mostly id suggest its due to its industrial rating, Having a loose fitting plug/socket which is not in a stationary place (like under a stove) and subject to movement/dust/water etc is not a good thing. The mechanical security of the screw collar keeps everything nice and secure.

And id be suss about that switch mech on a 32A socket, looks like a prone failure point? I cant find that socket in Rexel, and the only pics i see are "unbranded" on ebay etc which id never touch.

Reactions: cafz

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. It doesn’t look odd so they won’t really say no. And I can keep using the 15A tail until I get one made or find one.

Rental. I don’t think they’ll let me install an industrial outlet. But I can ask for a “high amp dryer outlet in my garage” ;)
You can say the AS3123 socket ("industrial") is a welder output in your garage!

Personally I used the AS3123 socket because the switch mechanism and the contacts to the pins are beefier, the screw collar keeps it well-mated for a good electrical connection, and the socket is somewhat sealed against moisture/salt/dust ingress when not in use.