Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Airbnb with Dryer Outlet During Colorado Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla Community,

I'm planning a road trip in Colorado and will be staying at a mountain cabin Airbnb. The nearest Supercharger is 2 hours away, and I need to figure out a way to charge at the Airbnb to avoid anxiety about charging.

1. Can I use a 240-volt dryer outlet for Level 2 charging of my Tesla?
2. What type of adapter will I need for this setup?
3. Any safety tips or considerations when using a dryer outlet for charging?
4. Has anyone had similar experiences and can share how it worked out?

The regular 120-volt outlet charges too slowly, and I don’t want to worry about running out of charge because we will be using the car throughout the day. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Howard is near the black bit. The four highlighted chargers are all <2 hours (one way).

1717514619511.png

Upvote 0
Hi Tesla Community,

I'm planning a road trip in Colorado and will be staying at a mountain cabin Airbnb. The nearest Supercharger is 2 hours away, and I need to figure out a way to charge at the Airbnb to avoid anxiety about charging.

1. Can I use a 240-volt dryer outlet for Level 2 charging of my Tesla?
2. What type of adapter will I need for this setup?
3. Any safety tips or considerations when using a dryer outlet for charging?
4. Has anyone had similar experiences and can share how it worked out?

The regular 120-volt outlet charges too slowly, and I don’t want to worry about running out of charge because we will be using the car throughout the day. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Certainly! Charging your Tesla at an Airbnb with a 240-volt dryer outlet is possible, but there are some important considerations:
  1. Using a 240-Volt Dryer Outlet:
    • Yes, you can use a 240-volt dryer outlet for Level 2 charging of your Tesla. Dryer outlets typically provide 240 volts (split-phase) and are compatible with Level 2 chargers.
    • Make sure the dryer outlet is a NEMA 14-30 or NEMA 14-50 type. These are common dryer outlet configurations in North America.
  2. Adapter Needed:
    • You’ll need an appropriate adapter to connect your Tesla’s charging cable to the dryer outlet. The specific adapter depends on the type of dryer outlet you have:
      • For a NEMA 14-30 outlet, use the Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter.
      • For a NEMA 14-50 outlet, use the Tesla NEMA 14-50 adapter.
    • You can purchase these adapters from the Tesla online store or other authorized retailers.
  3. Safety Tips:
    • Ensure that the dryer outlet is in good condition and properly wired. If you’re unsure, consult an electrician.
    • Use a heavy-duty extension cord (rated for outdoor use) if needed. Keep the cord away from water and avoid tripping hazards.
    • Monitor the charging process and check for any unusual heat or issues.
    • Avoid using an adapter that exceeds the outlet’s capacity (e.g., don’t use a 50-amp adapter on a 30-amp outlet).
  4. Experiences from Others:
    • Many Tesla owners have successfully charged at Airbnbs using dryer outlets. Some hosts even provide dedicated Tesla chargers.
    • Check online forums or community groups for specific recommendations or experiences related to charging at mountain cabins in Colorado.

Upvote 0
While I have done this a few times with a Lowes run, there are few "standards" so one needs to be flexible. First a 120V outlet will often work. So be prepared to use that. If the owner is open to you using the dryer outlet, remember most dryers are 30A and so 24A of sustained charging. The challenge unless they can shoot you a pictures there are several 30A dryer plugs so it is hard to make a cord ahead of time unless you are certain of what you are plugging into as there are multiple combinations. And unless familiar with wiring a plug I would stick with 120V charging. Note a dryer could be using most any 30A or 50A 240V outlet.

1717523455255.png

Upvote 0
Ask your host to send you a photo of the dryer receptacle and any nearby 120V receptacles. As others have said, the dryer will almost certainly be either a (3 slot) 10-30 in older homes, or (4 slot) 14-30 in newer homes. If a nearby 120V receptacle has a sideways "T" shaped slot, it is a 20 amp 5-20. UMC adapters are available for all of these from the Tesla store.

Reactions: KJD
Upvote 0
Ask your host to send you a photo of the dryer receptacle and any nearby 120V receptacles. As others have said, the dryer will almost certainly be either a (3 slot) 10-30 in older homes, or (4 slot) 14-30 in newer homes. If a nearby 120V receptacle has a sideways "T" shaped slot, it is a 20 amp 5-20. UMC adapters are available for all of these from the Tesla store.
But then they know your going to run up the electric bill.

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill and cdswm3
Upvote 0
But then they know your going to run up the electric bill.

“We’d like to charge our car while we’re there. It’ll probably be just a few dollars every time we charge, we can track it on an app, and we’d be happy to pay extra for whatever it ends up costing.”

I’ve tried that at at least 3 motels, and the staff has said, “No problem, don’t worry about it.”

Reactions: KJD and brkaus
Upvote 0
“We’d like to charge our car while we’re there. It’ll probably be just a few dollars every time we charge, we can track it on an app, and we’d be happy to pay extra for whatever it ends up costing.”

I’ve tried that at at least 3 motels, and the staff has said, “No problem, don’t worry about it.”
Yup. As long as one is nice about it.

But arriving in a model S at 25% in a high electric cost area could be just under $20. Depending on rent, that could be a reasonable % of the profit.

I’m not convinced everyone will ask or admit. The nice people of course would.

Upvote 0