Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got someone complaining to me about charging: "Why don't they pay for my gas?" "They should tax you for income on how much energy you take because it's a benefit."

I responded that they are probably trying to promote a "green" image for the company by encouraging electric vs. gas. And that I would not have a problem if they taxed me based on my energy consumption cost as a benefit. I mean, they tax you if you get a $10 gift card, so why not on $400 of electricity. Then I asked him if I should be able to charge my phone at my desk for free...

Finally got someone complaining to me about charging: "Why don't they pay for my gas?" "They should tax you for income on how much energy you take because it's a benefit."

Actually, I hadn't thought about the taxable benefit thing. A few years ago, a number of folks where I work got dinged by Revenue Canada (our version of the IRS) because they were getting free parking. A calculation was done based on the "going rate" for parking in the area and past due taxes were collected. I escaped because I was using my vehicle for business purposes at the time and not just parking while I was at work.

I thought (at least in California) that corporations were installing charging stations for the tax benefits, and the marginal benefit of being able to say that they are encouraging green transportation alternatives for their employees.

Incidentally, someone at my company set up an outlook calendar for the charging station so that employees with EVs (an increasing number) could make an appointment for an open slot. I don't have my car yet, so I can't vouch for how well it works, but seems like a sensible idea.

1. Does the company charge you? How much?
Charging is free for employees.

2. How many stations are there compared to the number of EVs? Are there too many stations or too few?
This depends on which building you are in. I work for a large tech company and some areas have more EVs than spots while others are "currently" pretty easy to get a spot.

3. What type of stations?
They are ChargePoint level 2 chargers.

4. Can non-employees charge?
No, they are only for employees.

5. Do you have to move your car during the day to let someone else use the spot? Do you have an EV mailing list to deal with this?
Yes, once you are done charging it is EV etiquette to move your car. We have a mailing list and directory listing of car owners so you can text someone if their vehicle is fully charged. Otherwise it is on the honor system to move when your car has completed charging.

6. Any other tips or things to consider?
Where are the charging stations located? Are they in premium underground parking or close to the entrance. Those spots may get ICE'd more frequently.

I called chargepoint. The new dual charging cable units are $7000 for the first unit, then $4000 for the next ones. Then there's a subscription plan that varies depending on how much the site charges for electricity. So expensive!

There is a new outfit called SemaConnect on the East Coast with much more reasonable costs for new charge stations/EVSE. My hospital moved to them for new units after installing 3 dual ChargePoints. Competition is good...