Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to use a 110v outlet ( all that's available overnight) with a 12 gauge, 15 foot extension cord. Port lights red, screen says "charging cable fault" and the red light on the cable itself blinks. Just not enough juice to charge? Any ideas?

I just got this error multiple times when trying to charge our new X with the new-cheaper-style mobile connector at 240V. It did work a few times, but failed many more times. It also failed a couple of the few times I tried the new connector on my S.

Using the same mobile connector at 120V works just fine. Our wall connector at 240V works fine too; as my other mobile connector, and a J1772 EVSE.

There is nothing wrong with the 240V outlet; I have used it to charge my S and Roadster for years, and other chargers I plug in there work on the X.

A tech is stopping by tomorrow so I'll ask. It could be the new connector is just sticky and despite my best efforts (I am aware that new ones are often sticky and need to be forced in) it is just not always going in all the way.

I just got this error multiple times when trying to charge our new X with the new-cheaper-style mobile connector at 240V. It did work a few times, but failed many more times. It also failed a couple of the few times I tried the new connector on my S.

Using the same mobile connector at 120V works just fine. Our wall connector at 240V works fine too; as my other mobile connector, and a J1772 EVSE.

There is nothing wrong with the 240V outlet; I have used it to charge my S and Roadster for years, and other chargers I plug in there work on the X.

A tech is stopping by tomorrow so I'll ask. It could be the new connector is just sticky and despite my best efforts (I am aware that new ones are often sticky and need to be forced in) it is just not always going in all the way.

Our new X came with the 32A UMC too, and it did the same thing yours did on 240V. If you get the red ring, have you tried unplug from the outlet, plug it back in and try again? I could only get it to charge that way. We had the tech came out and he just exchanged the 32A and gave us the old 40A UMC and it worked perfectly every time.

Yes, once this error occurs, the "T" light on the mobile connector is red, and you will continue to get this error every time until you unplug from the outlet and try again.

After trying that, I only get the error 75% of the time...