Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging current Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I may have a solution to my "problem".
When I connect to my charger, which is set at 32 amps, I can adjust the charging current in the car to 32 amps.
If I am at a shopping centre, as I was this morning, 16 amps is it.
Is it the case that the current can only be increased above 16 amps if the charger the car is connected to can supply more than 16 amps?
If my car is not connected at home the current cannot be adjusted above 16 amps. As soon as I plug into my charger, 32 amps no problem.
Is this the same for everyone?

OK, I may have a solution to my "problem".
When I connect to my charger, which is set at 32 amps, I can adjust the charging current in the car to 32 amps.
If I am at a shopping centre, as I was this morning, 16 amps is it.
Is it the case that the current can only be increased above 16 amps if the charger the car is connected to can supply more than 16 amps?
If my car is not connected at home the current cannot be adjusted above 16 amps. As soon as I plug into my charger, 32 amps no problem.
Is this the same for everyone?

Yes, the charging current is the minimum of the source capability, the connecting lead/adaptor capability and the car's charger/rectifier capability.

The simple answer is yes, you can only increase the charging rate to what the EVSE/Tesla Destination Charger can supply.

The more complex answer is you may have actually been charging at a faster rate at the shopping centre than at home: Most Tesla Destination Chargers are connected to a 22kW feed on 3 phases. However the Model 3 is limited to 11kW or 16A over the three phases. Hence I suspect at the shopping centre you were charging at 11kW.

I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that Model 3 Standard Range Plus (home and destination charging) is limited to 16A.

LR AWD and Performance versions could be different (up to 32A)

When I hired my Model 3 last Nov, I only had the 10A mobile connector at plugged in at home (charging at 8A) and Supercharging so I don't have any personal experience in this area with fast home charging

I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that Model 3 Standard Range Plus (home and destination charging) is limited to 16A.

LR AWD and Performance versions could be different (up to 32A)

When I hired my Model 3 last Nov, I only had the 10A mobile connector at plugged in at home (charging at 8A) and Supercharging so I don't have any personal experience in this area with fast home charging

Not sure about the SR+ however my Performanace happily charges at 32A at home....we are on single phase.

The SR in the US was originally to have a smaller charger but I don’t think it happened and all model 3 have the same charger in AU to my knowledge. Home Charging Installation Single phase 32A 50km/h charge rate, 3 phase 16A 75km/h
This is correct - all Model 3s have the same max AC charging rate of 11.5 kW.

If your house is single phase, the max from the Tesla HPWC is 32A or 7.7 kW. If your house is three phase, the max from the Tesla HPWC is 16A per phase or 11.5 kW total (50% more than single phase).

My HPWC is on a 3-phase 32A breaker and internally set to 32A per phase, but the car will only draw 16A per phase.

The SR in the US was originally to have a smaller charger but I don’t think it happened and all model 3 have the same charger in AU to my knowledge. Home Charging Installation Single phase 32A 50km/h charge rate, 3 phase 16A 75km/h

Of course an M3 can charge at 10kW from the old 40amp single phase HPWCs (no longer available unfortunately).
Each of the subchargers in the car's 11kw 3phase rectifier/charger then handles 13.3 amps out of their 16amps maximum.