Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charging equipment not ready"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the cable locking in the car port or can you leave it a few moments and pull it out?
If the latter, have a look in the car port with a torch and Check for any lumps of detritus that’s preventing the plug from being pushed right home
It locks as soon as I push it in. Both the cable and the plug seen fine, but I've blown some air and wiped them just in case with no luck

The symptoms have all the signs that the Control Pilot connection from the charge point isn't working for some reason, either it's not enabled or there's a fault somewhere.

What's supposed to happen is that the charge point (the box on the wall) sits with the Control Pilot signalling wire in the lead and car connector at +12V, via a 1kΩ series resistor, what's called State A in the standard. When plugged in to the car, the resistance between the Control Pilot pin within the car charger connector and the earth (the PE pin on the connector) loads down this +12V to +9V. The charge point senses that the charger has loaded this pin down, and starts transmitting a 1 kHz pulse train to the car, that swings between +12V and -12V at the source in the charge point (before the 1kΩ series resistor).

This pulse train has a duty cycle (the ratio between the time it spends at +12V and the time it spends at -12V) that signals to the charger the maximum current that is available from the charge point supply. The charger then adjusts its internal setting to not draw more current than this, and when ready it loads the positive going part of the Control Pilot signal to +6V. The charge point senses that the charger has done this, and turns on the contactor to supply power to the charger.

In this case the charger is detecting that there is a plug in the connector on the car, but is not detecting the Control Pilot signal from the charge point. As the charger is working normally with the Tesla UMC, it would seem that there is no fault either with the charger or the car connector. Everything points to the charge point, or perhaps the charge point cable or connector, being at fault, as it doesn't seem to be sending a valid Control Pilot signal to the charger.

The symptoms have all the signs that the Control Pilot connection from the charge point isn't working for some reason, either it's not enabled or there's a fault somewhere.

What's supposed to happen is that the charge point (the box on the wall) sits with the Control Pilot signalling wire in the lead and car connector at +12V, via a 1kΩ series resistor, what's called State A in the standard. When plugged in to the car, the resistance between the Control Pilot pin within the car charger connector and the earth (the PE pin on the connector) loads down this +12V to +9V. The charge point senses that the charger has loaded this pin down, and starts transmitting a 1 kHz pulse train to the car, that swings between +12V and -12V at the source in the charge point (before the 1kΩ series resistor).

This pulse train has a duty cycle (the ratio between the time it spends at +12V and the time it spends at -12V) that signals to the charger the maximum current that is available from the charge point supply. The charger then adjusts its internal setting to not draw more current than this, and when ready it loads the positive going part of the Control Pilot signal to +6V. The charge point senses that the charger has done this, and turns on the contactor to supply power to the charger.

In this case the charger is detecting that there is a plug in the connector on the car, but is not detecting the Control Pilot signal from the charge point. As the charger is working normally with the Tesla UMC, it would seem that there is no fault either with the charger or the car connector. Everything points to the charge point, or perhaps the charge point cable or connector, being at fault, as it doesn't seem to be sending a valid Control Pilot signal to the charger.
That's really descriptive, thank you very much. It's also a bit reassuring that it seems to be the charge point's problem and not the car, as I should be able to fully charge it at work on Tuesday then.

I tried to push it, wiggle it, soft reset the car, and hard reset the charge point, but still no luck. Which makes me think it must be something physical, like you guys said.

If you're anywhere near Salisbury I could easily plug your connector into my vehicle simulator test box. It's literally a couple of minutes work with a simulator box plugged in to see what's happening (or not happening). This is supposed to be the final functional check done by the installer, although I get the feeling that not all installers bother to do this, or maybe they don't have the simulator test box for some reason.

If you're anywhere near Salisbury I could easily plug your connector into my vehicle simulator test box. It's literally a couple of minutes work with a simulator box plugged in to see what's happening (or not happening). This is supposed to be the final functional check done by the installer, although I get the feeling that not all installers bother to do this, or maybe they don't have the simulator test box for some reason.
Appreciate the offer, that’s really kind. I'm in the Midlands so don't worry about it, I'll ring the installers first thing tomorrow morning so they can pop over.

Glad you’re all sorted. A bit scary that the “installer” could leave it like that though!
To be fair, it sounds silly but he did a cracking job. Everything was done pretty quickly and really tidy. He told me he's certainly tested it, but he may have touched something by accident when he put the cover back, and it sounded genuine.

Oh well, at least it's sorted now

Reactions: MrBadger and Roy W.
Hello all. I’m actually having the same error in our Model Y. We’ve had it a few months with no issues and now it won’t charge. It’s saying “Charging equipment not ready”. We tried another plug we have for our Kia Niro EV and same error. I’m about to take it to a supercharger to see if that works at least.

Hello all. I’m actually having the same error in our Model Y. We’ve had it a few months with no issues and now it won’t charge. It’s saying “Charging equipment not ready”. We tried another plug we have for our Kia Niro EV and same error. I’m about to take it to a supercharger to see if that works at least.
Hi Raphy. Please let us know. My problem was sorted when the engineers came over to have a look at the charging point and they found that one connection was loose. My car was charging perfectly on superchargers as well as with the granny charger. Hopefully it's a quick fix for you as well.

If its the same layout as the model 3, Have a look under the back seat. on the drivers side in your case (left if you're facing forward in the car) there is a foam cover, just lift it up. I cant remember what connector it was but with the car plugged in and that message displaying just wriggle the connectors or unplug and plug back in making sure the locking tabs are in place. Even if the car supercharges, it has no correlation to your symptoms since it uses a different circuit to AC charging.

We recently had the car connected to a destination charger when a lightning bolt hit the nearby utility pole.

After that the same error occurred with several chargers and as it turned out the charge port did detect a connection, but it would not close the circuit to start the charge.

I had this issue on Saturday.

I was on my way home from Northampton, charged at a Supercharger fine. Needed a quick top up in Mansfield when I received the error 'Charging Equipment Not Ready' I tried 3 different stalls as well as Osprey and Instavolt. All the same result. Called Tesla who went through hard reset, still no change.

Here is where i get really annoyed.....

Tesla said that they will have to recover the vehicle and sort me a rental to get home. Should take no longer than 10-15 mins for recovery to get in touch. 2 hours go by and nothing. Enterprise called me and said he was on his own so couldn't get a rental car to me. I had already booked a Taxi home (which i have asked tesla to cover).

Finally, get through to Tesla Roadside again who said 2 recovery companies cancelled the job and they will rebook. 5 mins later i get a text saying recovery on the way. The car eventually got recovered at 10:22pm, 6 hours after i initially called.

If i hadn't of booked that Taxi, me and my 6 year old daughter would of been stranded.

I will update this thread when Tesla get back in touch....

I have a SyncEV home charger. About 20% of the time when I plug the cable into the charger and then to the car I get the same message.
The answer is to reboot the charger, using the app. After a re-boot, which takes 20 seconds , the charge proceeds as normal.
This has reminded me to contact Sync....

I had this issue on Saturday.

I was on my way home from Northampton, charged at a Supercharger fine. Needed a quick top up in Mansfield when I received the error 'Charging Equipment Not Ready' I tried 3 different stalls as well as Osprey and Instavolt. All the same result. Called Tesla who went through hard reset, still no change.

Here is where i get really annoyed.....

Tesla said that they will have to recover the vehicle and sort me a rental to get home. Should take no longer than 10-15 mins for recovery to get in touch. 2 hours go by and nothing. Enterprise called me and said he was on his own so couldn't get a rental car to me. I had already booked a Taxi home (which i have asked tesla to cover).

Finally, get through to Tesla Roadside again who said 2 recovery companies cancelled the job and they will rebook. 5 mins later i get a text saying recovery on the way. The car eventually got recovered at 10:22pm, 6 hours after i initially called.

If i hadn't of booked that Taxi, me and my 6 year old daughter would of been stranded.

I will update this thread when Tesla get back in touch....
Just rang Tesla again. My car is still with the recovery agent!! Once again, without me chasing i feel nothing would of happened with this. This has been a complete cock up from the start from Tesla.

I have a SyncEV home charger. About 20% of the time when I plug the cable into the charger and then to the car I get the same message.
The answer is to reboot the charger, using the app. After a re-boot, which takes 20 seconds , the charge proceeds as normal.
This has reminded me to contact Sync....
Email from Sync, they pushed a firmware update so it is sorted.
Good service.

I have this same issue - "charging equipment not ready"

The car was connected for ~7 days at the airport location and had charged to the set level of ~82% - when we got to the car, it was ~70% and saw on the power unit 'fault', tired the next unit with the same results.

Got home plugged in as normal with the Mobile Connector - same issue - "charging equipment not ready" Light is Blue and left it overnight to see if it will work - no luck -

Side note this was before the update to 2021.44.25.2 -- which was done once we got home.