Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging from a Dryer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
please excuse my ignorance, im no electrician nor do i know much about electricity and voltage. but ive read that some people in between houses (like me) are able to use their dryers to charge their EV cars, instead of the painful 110V wall charger. i know most dryers are 220V/240V. does this work? how fast is the charge? i assume a special adapter is normally needed?

thanks in advance!

Reactions: jmsurpri
I assume what you mean is their dryer plugs, which usually are either NEMA 14-30s or NEMA 10-30s. You can charge from them just fine. Assuming you get somewhere around 220v, you would get something like 20 mph charge.

Tesla used to offer 14-30 adapters for the UMC and some locations may still have some leftover in stock. I can't recall whether 10-30 adapters existed. You can build your own adapter (search the web for Tesla adapter Cosmashelf for good references). The key concern is if the adapter ends with a 14-50 plug, you must make sure every time you plug in the car, it has charging reduces to 24 amp. If you can find one of those adapters, the UMC would automatically handle being at the lower amperage.

so i found out i have a NEMA 14-30 on the dryer...so i would need to find an adapter aftermarket for this to work?

Attachments

• tet.jpg
    tet.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 80
You don't need a new adapter. You can just mod your UMC plug for the 14-30 receptacle as recommended below.

Ingineer said:
You can literally just cut the neutral prong off the 14-50 adapter, then it will work in 3 outlet types; 14-30, 14-50 and 14-60. The neutral is not used in the UMC, and it's just a dummy pin. Just be sure to set your max current to 24A when using it on a 14-30 or you will trip the breaker. View attachment 110270
upload_2016-5-6_19-32-6.png

I grabbed the pin with vise grip pliers and ripped it out, then just filled the hole with sealant. I use it all the time and it works perfectly.

please excuse my ignorance, im no electrician nor do i know much about electricity and voltage. but ive read that some people in between houses (like me) are able to use their dryers to charge their EV cars, instead of the painful 110V wall charger. i know most dryers are 220V/240V. does this work? how fast is the charge? i assume a special adapter is normally needed?

thanks in advance!
I charge through NEMA 10-30 dryer plug. I do 240V @ 24A with an effective rate of 18MPH.

How do you set max current to 24A? where is this usually done? at the breakers? or the meter outside?

You set this on your charging screen. When you plug you car in, the screen will come up and I believe on the right there is an up down button option that will allow you to dial the amps to what your adapter can handle.

That's the appeal of the UMC adapters, they do it automatically.

Do a quick youtube search for Tesla chargers, there are people on there showing different charging options if you are renting etc...

Reactions: KJD
You set this on your charging screen. When you plug you car in, the screen will come up and I believe on the right there is an up down button option that will allow you to dial the amps to what your adapter can handle.

That's the appeal of the UMC adapters, they do it automatically.

Correct. If you don't have the adapter, you have to check every single time you charge because the setting will sometimes default back to 40 amps. If you forget and are lucky, the breaker will trip, if not...

For those who are looking for an adaptor that will allow them to plug into a 14-30 dryer plug using the Tesla UMC fitted with the 14-50 adaptor that comes with the car, I believe this will work NEMA 14-50R to 14-30P or 14-50P Adapter

Here is some the text on that web page describing the adaptor:
--------------------------------------
Fits most new style dryer or oven or campground outlets. Made with heavy duty 8 gauge cable. Features molded plug that fits both NEMA 14-30 and 14-50 outlets. The other end has a molded NEMA 14-50 receptacle. Handles on both ends to make it safe and easy to plug in and unplug. This adapter also works great as a short extension cord.

Comes in 2 ft. length. If you need something longer, check out our Tesla extension cord.

The 14-30 is commonly used for electric clothes dryers, while the 14-50 is commonly used for electric ranges and is also commonly found at RV parks.

The "universal plug" omits the neutral prong on the plug, which is not used by Tesla's charger, making the plug fit both types of outlets. Made for electric vehicle use only. Not suitable for RV or dryer use.