Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging keeps restarting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
Did a short trip last night and plugged in when I got home. Probably 40 miles and a couple hours to charge. Set to 80%.

This morning I wake up to a clicking noise. It’s the relay in Tesla Wall Connector Gen 2 clicking on and off. This install is like a month old.

There was no errors or warnings. I think it was just topping off and only was adding 2 miles.

It was cold last night, but not that cold (28F). So I bumped it up to 85% and it’s charging fine.

Did a short trip last night and plugged in when I got home. Probably 40 miles and a couple hours to charge. Set to 80%.

This morning I wake up to a clicking noise. It’s the relay in Tesla Wall Connector Gen 2 clicking on and off. This install is like a month old.

There was no errors or warnings. I think it was just topping off and only was adding 2 miles.

It was cold last night, but not that cold (28F). So I bumped it up to 85% and it’s charging fine.

Has this reoccurred? I'm having exactly the same issue. In fact, brought the X in to be checked out because I was getting warnings on the display. They can't find anything wrong - think it might be my wall connector or electrical circuit.

Problem is, I have two wall connectors at home on separate circuits. The X has done the same thing on both.

Never on the 3.

So bizarre.

Has this reoccurred? I'm having exactly the same issue. In fact, brought the X in to be checked out because I was getting warnings on the display. They can't find anything wrong - think it might be my wall connector or electrical circuit.

Problem is, I have two wall connectors at home on separate circuits. The X has done the same thing on both.

Never on the 3.

So bizarre.

Same. I've had an older S, a P3D, and now an X, all have used the same gen 2 wall connector, and the X is the only one to do this. Started in late October with 2020.40.8

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
Yes, still does it.

If I turn the car down to 20 Amps it won’t do it. And if I do that, after it gets going I can turn up to Max which is 32 A.

I think it has to do with battery heating when it’s cold. It’s like it’s too much inrush and trips something. By setting it to 20A and cranking it up it spreads the inrush out.

I did go through and retorqued everything. Couple places got 1/4 turn tighter. But no change.

If I drive in with a warm car it will start fine at 32A. If I let it sit over night and start charging ( which is not my routine) it goes into the loop. It gets into the cold battery loop on its own if I just leave it and it tries to top off in the middle of the cold night it also loops.

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
Same. I've had an older S, a P3D, and now an X, all have used the same gen 2 wall connector, and the X is the only one to do this. Started in late October with 2020.40.8

Yes, still does it.

If I turn the car down to 20 Amps it won’t do it. And if I do that, after it gets going I can turn up to Max which is 32 A.

I think it has to do with battery heating when it’s cold. It’s like it’s too much inrush and trips something. By setting it to 20A and cranking it up it spreads the inrush out.

I did go through and retorqued everything. Couple places got 1/4 turn tighter. But no change.

If I drive in with a warm car it will start fine at 32A. If I let it sit over night and start charging ( which is not my routine) it goes into the loop. It gets into the cold battery loop on its own if I just leave it and it tries to top off in the middle of the cold night it also loops.

OK guys, you’re both making me feel much, much better.

I brought the X in for diagnosis and pick it up tomorrow. I’ve been feeling stupid all weekend because the end result is “no trouble found — insert the charging handle harder, dumbass.” I can admit a few times my wife’s half-plugged the car; she treats it like the Model 3 (which plugs in like buttah.) but the relay clicking on/off/on/off has happened randomly starting yeah — about in October.

I was starting to wonder if I had a loose ground (I don’t. Checked with the multimeter - all good) or loose wiring somewhere. Checked at the breaker and the WC’s. Nada.

And now, tonight, the loaner S (it’s a ~2013 85) also had issues with the connector relay clicking on/off/on/off. It’s on 2020.36.x though. Something changed somewhere and I think the cold is exacerbating it.

OK guys, you’re both making me feel much, much better.

I brought the X in for diagnosis and pick it up tomorrow. I’ve been feeling stupid all weekend because the end result is “no trouble found — insert the charging handle harder, dumbass.” I can admit a few times my wife’s half-plugged the car; she treats it like the Model 3 (which plugs in like buttah.) but the relay clicking on/off/on/off has happened randomly starting yeah — about in October.

I was starting to wonder if I had a loose ground (I don’t. Checked with the multimeter - all good) or loose wiring somewhere. Checked at the breaker and the WC’s. Nada.

And now, tonight, the loaner S (it’s a ~2013 85) also had issues with the connector relay clicking on/off/on/off. It’s on 2020.36.x though. Something changed somewhere and I think the cold is exacerbating it.

For the record a multi meter is fairly useless for testing stuff like this. You need to pull current through any high voltage AC to really test if it’s right. But your ground is probably fine too.

Glad it’s not just me too or the new Wall Connector (Gen 2). Looks like they introduced a bug. I have a 24A UMC at another location (plugged in there now). Curious if that will do the same. I plugged in with warm battery and it’s charging fine.

Ooh I might not hear it looping with UMC. That’s not good. The Wall Connector was bolted to the house and I’d hear it clicking in the middle of the night when it decided to top itself off.

Again it always works if the battery is warmed up.

I had this happen a few weeks ago 2014 P85 gen 2 wall connector.
Rebooted the car and flipped the breaker off/on and has been fine since.

It sucked down tens of miles of charge, probably did this from 1am schedule charge till I caught it 6:30am when I took the dog out and heard it. Was cold enough weather battery heating would have been involved.

It’s most likely the Gen 2 charger. Check all wires and connection going into the charger.

long story short for me: Somewhat similar issues for me and my Gen 2 burned out.
0EE208C8-4E58-4F0C-B983-97930C9DEF2F.jpeg

It’s most likely the Gen 2 charger. Check all wires and connection going into the charger.

long story short for me: Somewhat similar issues for me and my Gen 2 burned out. View attachment 615487

Sorry to see this but I can't imagine all of us having a loose conductor all at the same time. Something else is up ...

And for the record - I have two wall connectors at home, and the Model X does it on both of them. Model 3 -- no problem.

Reactions: VikH
I have a similar issue but only with scheduled departure. If I use scheduled charge at X:00 it will work as intended. I’ve reset everything and even shared video with mobile service and they shrugged their shoulders and said “must be a bug” but said save the video in case this is some bigger issue. For now I’ll keep using scheduled charge start time as that still works as intended.

I have a similar issue but only with scheduled departure. If I use scheduled charge at X:00 it will work as intended. I’ve reset everything and even shared video with mobile service and they shrugged their shoulders and said “must be a bug” but said save the video in case this is some bigger issue. For now I’ll keep using scheduled charge start time as that still works as intended.

I have the same issue. Only happens with Departure Charging. Has to be a software bug from the car.

long story short for me: Somewhat similar issues for me and my Gen 2 burned out. View attachment 615487

normally I would agree, BUT:

when my car is plugged in and awake, and I manually start a charge from the screen or the app, it works fine.

when my car is asleep, and I have scheduled charging set (i don't use scheduled departure) is when I run into these problems. it will click on and off until I wake up the car via app....as soon as I do that, it will begin charging.

I am having an issue with the amps tapering with both of my Gen 2 wall units. I have a 72 amp charger on board, an 80 amp circuit, so the vehicle only gets 64 amps. When I plug in I usually see 64 amps as the denominator, but on occasion will see 6 amps on either unit. I'm on a TOU plan so charge after 9pm. About once a week the vehicle has not fully charged - I use 90% as my daily ceiling.

I'm going to give @davezforce's WD40 cleaning solution a shot and will report back.

Same Issue here on a European Model X.
Took delivery last week.

I have 2 chargers (1 Tesla and 1 openEVSE), both chargers show the same pattern.
Charging works fine when the car is awake, leave one door open and charging starts fine.

When the car sleeps and charging Is started using the app or using delayed charging then the clicking issue starts.
Rebooted the console and turned the car off using the service menu seemed to resolve it for now.