Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Model S with Roadster HPWC??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I generally charge my P85+ at home with a 240V, 50A circuit (which delivers ~40A to the car.)
This results in 28-30 miles of range added per hour.
I charge my '08 Roadster with a 90A circuit Tesla HPWC (delivers 80A to the car.)
Given that the S has dual chargers, I'd expect I could nearly double the rate of charge if I could use the HPWC.
A Tesla tech told me that Tesla used to offer an adapter ( Roadster cable/plug to S receptacle) that would make this possible but that it's no longer available.
Anyone use one and/or know if a source for these exists?

I've got one in my trunk. Not for sale (sorry).

You're looking for this:
Roadster_HPC_to_Model_S_Adapter_1024x1024.jpg

I generally charge my P85+ at home with a 240V, 50A circuit (which delivers ~40A to the car.) This results in 28-30 miles of range added per hour.
I charge my '08 Roadster with a 90A circuit Tesla HPWC (delivers 80A to the car.)
Given that the S has dual chargers, I'd expect I could nearly double the rate of charge if I could use the HPWC.
A Tesla tech told me that Tesla used to offer an adapter ( Roadster cable/plug to S receptacle) that would make this possible but that it's no longer available.
Re-reading your post I realize I am unclear on what you are describing. Let me try to summarize and tell me if this is correct:

Your S has dual chargers but you charge it from a 240V/50A plug that delivers 40A.

You have a Tesla HPWC on a 240V/90A circuit that is set to output 80A and you use that to charge your Roadster (which of course can only accept a maximum of 70A).

And you want to charge your S from the HPWC . As sold by Tesla, the HPWC comes with a cable with a Model S/X connector on the end. So how do you connect it to your Roadster? Do you have one of Henry's CAN S/R adaptors? Or have you physically modified the HPWC cable? It sounds like you have done that but you don't say so specifically.

Of course you could buy a new HPWC for $500 Tesla — Wall Connector with 8.5' Cable and use that to charge your S but to get the optimal 80A charging rate you would need a new 100A circuit installed. I assume that is not feasible given your current main panel rating.

IMG_1148.PNG
Re-reading your post I realize I am unclear on what you are describing. Let me try to summarize and tell me if this is correct:

Your S has dual chargers but you charge it from a 240V/50A plug that delivers 40A.

You have a Tesla HPWC on a 240V/90A circuit that is set to output 80A and you use that to charge your Roadster (which of course can only accept a maximum of 70A).

And you want to charge your S from the HPWC . As sold by Tesla, the HPWC comes with a cable with a Model S/X connector on the end. So how do you connect it to your Roadster? Do you have one of Henry's CAN S/R adaptors? Or have you physically modified the HPWC cable? It sounds like you have done that but you don't say so specifically.

Of course you could buy a new HPWC for $500 Tesla — Wall Connector with 8.5' Cable and use that to charge your S but to get the optimal 80A charging rate you would need a new 100A circuit installed. I assume that is not feasible given your current main panel rating.

Hey ecarfan, thanks for your note.
Sorry my post is confusing.
Thanks
First, yes, I'm aware the Roadster accepts a max of 70A
Second, the HPWC I'm referring to was manufactured for the Roadster, not the S (see pic)
Rather than buying a second wall unit and installing yet another circuit, I'm hoping to find a proper adapter, allowing me to charge either model.

Most people would choose to do it the opposite way. Use a new HPWC with the TSL-02 handle that connects directly to Model S and X and then use a CAN-SR for the Roadster. A third way would be to have a 80A J1772 handle or complete cable put on the Roadster HPWC and then use a CAN-JR on the Roadster and the J1772 adapter on the S. However, I can see how using adapters on both cars would be tiresome.

That was confusing, because traditionally the two wall connectors used different acronyms. The one for the Roadster was known as the HPC, and the one for the Model S was the HPWC. My first recommendation would be to call Tesla and check if they do still have any of the adapter cables from Roadster to Model S plug, like @brianman showed. My second recommendation would be to just get the cable converted to J1772, so it really has all of the flexibility to be used by any EV.

Wasn't the Roadster's HPC OEM'ed from Clipper Creek? I seem to recall some discussion of people sending them back to CC for conversion to J1772.

Yes, but the HPC pictured is Tesla's original that they designed and built in-house. It was replaced by a Clipper Creek designed and built unit.

GSP

That was confusing, because traditionally the two wall connectors used different acronyms. The one for the Roadster was known as the HPC, and the one for the Model S was the HPWC
Yes, that was what confused me.

@DoctorZ, I know that the difference between "HPWC" and "HPC" is only one letter but in Tesla World that letter makes a big difference. ;) @Rocky_H is correct in his terminology description.
Rather than buying a second wall unit and installing yet another circuit, I'm hoping to find a proper adapter, allowing me to charge either model
So you are hoping to either find one of those adaptors (like @brianman posted a photo of) so you can use your Roadster HPC to charge your S at a faster rate than you get from your 40A circuit. I understand. @Rocky_H suggestions seem sound, however converting your HPC cable to J1772 would mean you then need a J1772 adaptor for your Roadster (your S came with such an adaptor).

@hcsharp sells such an adaptor, it is called the "CAN JR" and is very nice. But the cable conversion and the adaptor are together likely to cost you over $1,000. And all that will do is charge your S maybe 60% faster. Only you can decide if that is worth it. How much more would it cost you to install a 90A circuit and buy a Tesla HPWC with an 8 ft cable?