Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging my Y with a NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my new model y, had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed, 220 V/40amp, in my garage. Its been charging at ~32 m/hr, was expecting about 20 m/hr, has anyone else seen this charging rate with a NEMA 14-50?
The Tesla website for the NEMA 14-50 adapter shows the Model Y charges at a rate of 29 mi/hr so you're doing pretty well at 32 mi/hr.
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.39.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Just got my new model y, had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed, 220 V/40amp, in my garage. Its been charging at ~32 m/hr, was expecting about 20 m/hr, has anyone else seen this charging rate with a NEMA 14-50?
This is the normal charging rate. You are using the include UMC mobile charger and plugging into the nema 14-50 outlet, correct?
Also be aware that your charging rate will slow down as the battery nears full. This is automatically adjusted by the vehicle.

I am almost always exactly at 30, although I have seen higher (I think the highest I've observed was 33). The only time I remember seeing 29 is when I first the car and first plugged it it, but it went to 30 within a few minutes.

I saw this on the Tesla web site. Has anyone seen faster charging with this cord vs standard cord with adapter?

The Corded Mobile Connector features a NEMA 14-50 plug and improved charging speeds (versus standard Gen 2 Mobile Connector with NEMA 5-15 adapter).

Compatible with Model S, Model 3, Model X and Model Y.

Includes:

1 x NEMA-14-50 corded mobile connector (with 20’ cable)

The Tesla website for the NEMA 14-50 adapter shows the Model Y charges at a rate of 29 mi/hr so you're doing pretty well at 32 mi/hr.
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
View attachment 536266

I saw this on the Tesla web site. Has anyone seen faster charging with this cord vs standard cord with adapter?

The Corded Mobile Connector features a NEMA 14-50 plug and improved charging speeds (versus standard Gen 2 Mobile Connector with NEMA 5-15 adapter).

Compatible with Model S, Model 3, Model X and Model Y.

Includes:

1 x NEMA-14-50 corded mobile connector (with 20’ cable)

The Corded Mobile Connector can do 40A, the Gen 2 and newer can only do 32A even with the 14-50 adapter. The original Gen 1 Mobile Connectors could also do 40A (I have one of those I bought of eBay). It is no longer available and used different adapters though.