Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging pad & flash card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi just looking for info regarding the charging pad & flash card for video footage etc.

Question is does the charge pad need to use both usb charging ports to work? If it does can the flash card for video footage be plugged into the rear USB ports?

Thanks

Hi just looking for info regarding the charging pad & flash card for video footage etc.

Question is does the charge pad need to use both usb charging ports to work? If it does can the flash card for video footage be plugged into the rear USB ports?

Thanks
Yes most Charge Pads offer splitters as an option I bought a cheap one off Amazon and most people think it's Original Tesla, don't pay a fortune for a Label.

A lot of the charging pads I have seen on eBay & Amazon come with x2 usb charging points which would then mean I would not be able to have the flash drive permanently plugged in.

Bought my charge pad on Amazon £33.99. Works great and has a separate USB with a splitter built in for each side. Use the thicker cable for your memory stick etc and the thin cable for the charger . All the details and instructions come in the box. Also comes with storage mats for all the storage areas and cup holders. See Amazon VXDAS model 3 wireless charger.
My wife has a wallet style cover and the phone charges fine on it

m
M3P+ Pearl white. Delivered 27/9.

Reactions: MacPaul
Bought my charge pad on Amazon £33.99. Works great and has a separate USB with a splitter built in for each side. Use the thicker cable for your memory stick etc and the thin cable for the charger . All the details and instructions come in the box. Also comes with storage mats for all the storage areas and cup holders. See Amazon VXDAS model 3 wireless charger.
My wife has a wallet style cover and the phone charges fine on it

m
M3P+ Pearl white. Delivered 27/9.

Perfect thank you

Lots of resources on that. Everyone has their own opinions and experiences. Worth reading up on this elsewhere especially peoples experiences with the Samsung card you mention - many card issues do not become a problem for many months, so ignore 'xxx works' stories unless they have been in use for a considerable amount of time - check the global forums as they have more long term stories.

Most charge pads are double sided and so work best if each side is plugged into a different USB port. Most will come with a splitter cable so you can still use something for your sentry/Cam. Whatever you use (USB thumb drive/flash card/SSD) will need to be formatted to FAT32 so none are instantly compatible.

You can buy pretty much any USB drive, but will need to be setup appropriately as per the Tesla requirements. If you get one no larger than 32GB, then it is easier to setup as newer Windows systems will format it without having to download other programs, nor will it keep prompting you to say that it is corrupt (it isn't) when you want to view the files. This limitation is not on a Mac. A 32GB size is no longer 'much too small' once your car is v10 onward as v10 deletes stale files so a 32GB drive should no longer gets full - bugs omitted. 32GB may be a little too small if you leave your car unattended for many days at a time, but should easily hold a few days worth of video, enough if you notice a problem with the car then need to investigate.

The problem with the dashcam/sentry drive recommendations is that it is a hit and miss game. On drive may work fine in one car, but not another, or it may work fine for weeks or months, then just stop working. Not helped by the Tesla USB implementation being poor, which seems to just corrupt drives at random. If you want to remove the card, make sure you turn off dashcam before removing as the card is constantly being written to, another thing that will eventually kill the card.

So just buy a card and treat it as a consumable item, or one that you may need to reformat when it stops being recognised. As long as it supports >4Mb/s write speed, which pretty much any drive will do, it should do you for a short while. Med to long term is just a gamble.

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS
On a Mac, if you know how to format a memory stick and add a folder, its straight forward. Its more messy on Windows PC with memory cards >32GB.
But you will not find an off the shelf product that will just plug in and guarantee a long trouble free life.

I haven’t yet installed a wireless charger but I have played about with SD cards. I tried one of those micro thumb drives but it overheated regularly and couldn’t cope. I have since bought a 64gb micro SD card from www.7dayshop.com (
SanDisk Extreme Pro Micro SD Memory Card Class 10 UHS-1 U3 V30 UHD 4K A2 170MB/s Inc SD Card Adapter - 64GB) I plugged it into a USB adaptor and it has been recording reliably since I installed it. I am currently working on a Raspberry Pi Zero W solution that will allow me to auto download all sentry film to my home network when I park up for the night. See marcone/teslausb I may add music in there at some point but I need to make sure that it works first. The Raspberry Pi will have a 128gb Extreme Pro Micro SD card with the same 170MB/s speed. I have ordered one of the Jeda hubs from www.getjeda.com which has a small recess that will allow me to store the Pi discretely.

So you get a couple of second gap between each 5x second clip or miss a bit when you hit record or sentry activates?
I’ve never checked that tbh. All I know is that it doesn't show me that sentry mode isn’t working which is what happened after the first few triggers on the small thumb drive I had been using and that had been recommended from a link on here. The issue I had was to find a card that could handle higher write speeds without feeling it was going to melt. I’m not obsessive about it. The fact is that it records my porch light going on and off reliably at night or me taking the dogs for a walk as I pass on the drive. What more could a man ask? It has mainly recorded oglers very clearly at the local supermarket.

But you will not find an off the shelf product that will just plug in and guarantee a long trouble free life.

Unless you pay extra and go for a SSD (designed for frequent read/write cycles). I partitioned a 240GB drive so I can have all my music on one partition and still have a huge capacity for Dashcam/Sentry Mode. Very compact and pretty good value (£38 for drive and casing) for the capacity, all things considered (so long as it works for a good while .. couple of months without a hitch so far).

I use these that someone else recommended:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078WYS5K6/
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0765D6NJV/