Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Reduced From 40A to 30A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering why all of the people that posted to this thread experienced the car automatically de rating the charge rate from 40 to 30 amps, when the adjustments in the vehicle can be in 1 amp increments. Why does it drop a full 10 amps? I have also experienced this occasionally, where the car adjusts from 40 to 30 amps for one charge. But after I adjust it up to 40 amps it will charge at that rate for a while before automatically de rating down to 30 amps. I think I'm going to try to manually adjust the charge rate to 35 amps to see if it will consistently stay at that rate. If that rate works consistently, I will increase it 1 amp at a time to see where it falls back to 30 amps.
It drops 10 amps to reduce the heat bring generated somewhere in the circuit, to prevent a fire. Dropping by 1 amp at a time wouldn't accomplish that. The charging is being reduced for safety, not to see the max number of amps the circuit can do. Best to find where your wiring problem is and correct it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The car measures the voltage drop from the resting voltage to the full load. If it sees a large drop, it reduces the current, so that the wires or plugs don't melt. If another large load causes the line voltage to drop, it can cause the failsafes to kick in.

Yes, but why does it always automatically reduce the charge rate by 10 amps even though it can be manually adjusted by 1 amp increments using the screen in the car? Ten amps is a pretty big decrease in the charge rate given that the electrical circuit supports 40 amp charging and normally works fine at 40 amps. Many people may not even know this is happening because normally the chargin occurs overnight and as long as it is completed by the morning all is well.

Yes, but why does it always automatically reduce the charge rate by 10 amps even though it can be manually adjusted by 1 amp increments using the screen in the car? Ten amps is a pretty big decrease in the charge rate given that the electrical circuit supports 40 amp charging and normally works fine at 40 amps. Many people may not even know this is happening because normally the chargin occurs overnight and as long as it is completed by the morning all is well.
Presumably it does it because ten amps reduces heat by a significant amount, which is what is wanted in a safety system.

Today my charger faulted with three red LED blinks on the charger, and a red ring on the charge port. Tesla phone support says it's a bad charging unit. The charger won't work with the 120V adapter, or the NEMA 14-50 adapter. This may be why I have noticed the drop from 40 amps to 30 amps on a 50 amp NEMA circuit in my garage. Initially it would consistently charge at 40 amps but then I began noticing that it automatically changed the setting to 30 amps. So my advice to anyone that sees their charging decrease to 30 amps when it should be charging at a higher rate, report this to Tesla because the problem may be the charger and not the wiring or anything else in the electrical circuit.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Today my charger faulted with three red LED blinks on the charger, and a red ring on the charge port. Tesla phone support says it's a bad charging unit. The charger won't work with the 120V adapter, or the NEMA 14-50 adapter. This may be why I have noticed the drop from 40 amps to 30 amps on a 50 amp NEMA circuit in my garage. Initially it would consistently charge at 40 amps but then I began noticing that it automatically changed the setting to 30 amps. So my advice to anyone that sees their charging decrease to 30 amps when it should be charging at a higher rate, report this to Tesla because the problem may be the charger and not the wiring or anything else in the electrical circuit.
Yours may have been the charger in the car, but it's almost always an electrical supply issue when you get the charging reduction to 30A.

Easy way to distinguish this before calling Tesla-- try charging somewhere else.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
Yours may have been the charger in the car, but it's almost always an electrical supply issue when you get the charging reduction to 30A.

Easy way to distinguish this before calling Tesla-- try charging somewhere else.

After Tesla replaced my mobile charger today it began charging at 40 amps again without any problems in the same NEMA 14-50 outlet. In my situation, initially I could charge at 40 amps without a problem. Then it began down rating to 30 amps for no explainable reason. In this situation, I think that the charger would be the likely cause. But in situations where the charger could never achieve 40 amps consistently, then the problem is more likely with something else in the circuit.

After Tesla replaced my mobile charger today it began charging at 40 amps again without any problems in the same NEMA 14-50 outlet. In my situation, initially I could charge at 40 amps without a problem. Then it began down rating to 30 amps for no explainable reason. In this situation, I think that the charger would be the likely cause. But in situations where the charger could never achieve 40 amps consistently, then the problem is more likely with something else in the circuit.
Was your test that got you 40 amps at the same of day as when it down rated?

I think we have some confusion in terminology here. The charger is in the car. That's what I thought you meant when Tesla said you had a bad charger. The thing you plug into the car is the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector), not the charger. You had a bad UMC.

When the current drops from 40 to 30A, there is something wrong with the electrical supply and the car is sensing a voltage drop. Although in your case it was a defect in the UMC, experience here in dozens of posts on this topic over the years shows it's much more likely to be a problem in the home electrical supply. Anywhere from the transformer all the way to the 14-50 outlet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
Mine downrated to 30 amps just after a software upgrade, which obviously was designed to sense resistance in the charging circuit. I pushed it up to 32, but then figured that I have plenty of time overnight to charge what I need, and the lower amps are better for the battery. My charge cord works at 40 amps at my daughter's house, but my circuit is about 60', which is longish, so I don't mind it cutting the amps down.

Reactions: GSP
The Wall Connector used to cost $1,200, then dropped to $750, now is only $500 or $550 depending on cable length. It is really a no brainer to install a hard wired EVSE to charge your Tesla. The Mobile Connector should be exactly what its title suggest, to be used when you are mobile. I use mine at my in-laws, 120V charging at hotels when I can, etc. 90% of my charging is either at a J1772 station at work, or my Wall Connector in my garage.

So basically, if you are having the amps reduced with your Mobile Connector, you might want to consider installing a Wall Connector.

Reactions: GSP
The Wall Connector used to cost $1,200, then dropped to $750, now is only $500 or $550 depending on cable length. It is really a no brainer to install a hard wired EVSE to charge your Tesla. The Mobile Connector should be exactly what its title suggest, to be used when you are mobile. I use mine at my in-laws, 120V charging at hotels when I can, etc. 90% of my charging is either at a J1772 station at work, or my Wall Connector in my garage.

So basically, if you are having the amps reduced with your Mobile Connector, you might want to consider installing a Wall Connector.
No, Mobile is a capability, not a use requirement or even a suggestion. Tens of thousands of Tesla owners use the UMC for daily charging at home.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
No, Mobile is a capability, not a use requirement or even a suggestion. Tens of thousands of Tesla owners use the UMC for daily charging at home.
That's exactly right and when you take delivery unless you have a dual charger Tesla recommends you use the UMC at home and on road trips. The second charger (wall charger) is an additional expense that most people don't need. Convenient but not necessary.

Was your test that got you 40 amps at the same of day as when it down rated?

I normallly charge the car overnight when the utility rates are lower. That is one of the reasons I didn't see that was charging at 30 amps right away. But the test yesterday with the new UMC was during the middle of the day, and only for 5 minutes but it sustained 40 amps during that time. Last night the car charged overnight for a few hours and the my calculations are that it charged at a rate of 29 miles per hour.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Are there any other benefits from buying a wall charger other than the extra 8 amps (48 amps) charge rate and to be used as a backup if the UMC fails? For example, is it more heavy duty and made to last a long time with better materials? Because my UMC failed within 3 months I'm wondering what the average expected life is of the UMC if it is used daily. I guess a poll on this topic may help answer this question.

The HPWC is designed for 80 Amps, so it is more heavy duty than the UMC. It also is convenient.

It is not a necessary expense, but if you can afford it, then it is nice to have. Tesla has reduced the price over the years, it is much less expensive than competitive EVSEs, and it is a very good value.

Since the HPWC is hard wired, the 14-50 outet and plug are eliminated. That is a few less connections that could cause a problem, causing the car to reduce charging current.

GSP

Last edited:
Reactions: CmdrThor
Are there any other benefits from buying a wall charger other than the extra 8 amps (48 amps) charge rate and to be used as a backup if the UMC fails? For example, is it more heavy duty and made to last a long time with better materials? Because my UMC failed within 3 months I'm wondering what the average expected life is of the UMC if it is used daily. I guess a poll on this topic may help answer this question.
I've used my original UMC daily for 3 1/2 years. YMMV.

I have had charging issues at home since I took delivery in July. I have had a loaner while Tesla checked my car out and it charged just fine on the same 14-50 plug that my car wouldn't (also won't charge on multiple 5-15 circuits). I have checked the breaker to plug section and the wiring and connections are correct. I have found that if I turn on the double oven in our house or now that it is cold and the heat pump is running in the evening the car charges just fine. Our home is in the country and our transformer is maybe 400 feet from the panel. When the car won't charge I see a 4%+ drop in voltage as the current is applied. I can sometimes 'feed in' by manually starting at 5-7A and raise the amps only as the voltage stabilizes. I've never found any of the connections to be hot and the problem doesn't occur once charging. I think the problem is low load on the transformer and the car ramping up the charge thinks it sees faulty wiring. From my poor discription does my conclusion sound reasonable?

The HPWC is designed for 80 Amps, so it is more heavy duty than the UMC. It also is convenient.

It is not a necessary expense, but if you can afford it, then it is nice to have. Tesla has reduced the price over the years, it is much less expensive than competitive EVSEs, and it is a very good value.

Since the HPWC is hard wired, the 14-50 outet and plug are eliminated. That is a few less connections that could cause a problem, causing the car to reduce charging current.

GSP

I have two other vehicles that use J1772 connectors for charging. Is there an adapter so the Tesla HPWC can be used to charge these vehicles in addition to my MS60?