Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging starts too early, before off peak period starts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The peak time period for my electricity meter is 7:30am to 10:30pm weekdays. Other times including weekends are off peak. I set the off-peak end time as 7:30am (weekdays) in the car and it always starts charging at middle of night and finish before the off-peak time ends, as expected. My daily charge time is about 4-5 hours on 32A.

However this only works Monday to Thursday. On Friday evening when I come home from work it would start charging as soon as I plug in while it’s still peak time. Then it would finish around 2am. Does anyone else encounter this problem? It seems to only happen on Friday night, the car decides to start the weekend early but is costing me more in electricity bills.

Reactions: Bob R.
I've constantly been hearing about problems ever since they added that peak/off peak thing and the scheduled departure. All kinds of complications with that. Scheduled start time always works. Why not just set it to start at 10:35 PM or 11 PM? That will be foolproof.
Foolproof?...not. My off-peak hours are midnight to 3:00 pm. So if I set the start time at midnight and charge all night, that does work well. But I have solar panels and prefer to charge when the sun is shining. So if I plug in in late morning, I have to set it to stop at 3:00 pm. But that only works when I need a partial charge. So every time I want a full charge to start at midnight I have to go back into the settings and reset it to start charging at midnight. If I could simply tell the car that I only want to charge during off-peak hours from midnight to 3:00 pm, then I would be able to plug in any time of day or night and it would charge during the hours that are best for me.

Upvote 0
Foolproof?...not.
Seriously?
My off-peak hours are midnight to 3:00 pm. So if I set the start time at midnight and charge all night, that does work well. But I have solar panels and prefer to charge when the sun is shining. So if I plug in in late morning, I have to set it to stop at 3:00 pm. But that only works when I need a partial charge. So every time I want a full charge to start at midnight I have to go back into the settings and reset it to start charging at midnight. If I could simply tell the car that I only want to charge during off-peak hours from midnight to 3:00 pm, then I would be able to plug in any time of day or night and it would charge during the hours that are best for me.
I said just using start time is foolproof. And it is. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and no more. Or it would if you would let it. This...is not that. You are describing some other multi-layered complicated thing where you're trying to incorporate on peak versus off peak and partial charges and reduced charging rates and stop times and who knows what else simultaneously. Your disagreement has nothing to do with what I said. That's just all of the other complicated junk about how it's hard to use Tesla's overlapping, confusing, badly labeled, multiple functions about timing and scheduling and peak time windows and stuff.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Upvote 0
Seriously?

I said just using start time is foolproof. And it is. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and no more. Or it would if you would let it. This...is not that. You are describing some other multi-layered complicated thing where you're trying to incorporate on peak versus off peak and partial charges and reduced charging rates and stop times and who knows what else simultaneously. Your disagreement has nothing to do with what I said. That's just all of the other complicated junk about how it's hard to use Tesla's overlapping, confusing, badly labeled, multiple functions about timing and scheduling and peak time windows and stuff.
Start time is only foolproof if you want to charge at night. I seldom do. I simply want to charge during off-peak hours whether I plug in in the evening or the morning. That said, I just heard from a reliable source that Tesla assumes off peak hours starts at midnight. If that is indeed the case, then, at least for me, my foolproof setting will be to use the "charge during off-peak hours" setting.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 0
Start time is only foolproof if you want to charge at night.
It's not restricted to night. It could be day or night or any time you feel like, but it is a fixed time once per day though.
I simply want to charge during off-peak hours whether I plug in in the evening or the morning.
OK, that seems simple then. You know when your off peak time starts, so just pick your start time a minute or two after that. You can plug in whenever you want to, but it will wait until that next start time comes around to actually charge. I am still not seeing what is so troublesome.

Upvote 0
It's not restricted to night. It could be day or night or any time you feel like, but it is a fixed time once per day though.

OK, that seems simple then. You know when your off peak time starts, so just pick your start time a minute or two after that. You can plug in whenever you want to, but it will wait until that next start time comes around to actually charge. I am still not seeing what is so troublesome.
I know... people making this a mountain out of a molehill because they have some convoluted charging needs. However, if Tesla would just give us a real charging schedule that splits it up in to everyday of the week and allow us to set charging start and stop times daily, this would probably fix a lot of the "issues" people have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

If I pick a start time, it won't stop at the end of off-peak hours. And now I just learned that even if I set it to charge during off-peak hours, it will continue to charge after off-peak hours if it hasn't reached the target charge limit (it's a footnote in the owner's manual). So what I am left with is a situation where every time I charge, I have to plug it in, wait for it to tell me how many hours of charging it will require to reach my limit, then adjust my limit so that it does not keep charging past the end of off-peak hours.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 0
The peak time period for my electricity meter is 7:30am to 10:30pm weekdays. Other times including weekends are off peak. I set the off-peak end time as 7:30am (weekdays) in the car and it always starts charging at middle of night and finish before the off-peak time ends, as expected. My daily charge time is about 4-5 hours on 32A.

However this only works Monday to Thursday. On Friday evening when I come home from work it would start charging as soon as I plug in while it’s still peak time. Then it would finish around 2am. Does anyone else encounter this problem? It seems to only happen on Friday night, the car decides to start the weekend early but is costing me more in electricity bills.
Yes, same issue here. Sometimes scheduled charging works correctly and other times the car charges whenever it wants to - usually during the highest rate times.

Upvote 0