Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And shutters aren't really needed are they?
I don't think so. Here's the French/Italian EV-Alliance proposal:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1620&d=1302889604.jpg

I don't see how
20100920_schneider_electric_1.jpg
or
20100920_legrand_2.jpg

is any better than
RTEmagicC_MENNEKES_Ladekabel_VDE-geprueft_05.jpg

If the Italians really want shutters they can require them on the charging post. RWE already effectively has them. There's a flap that covers the port:
Level_3_Quick_Charge_RWE.jpg

Clearly the French/Italian objection has little to do with safety.

Attachments

• EV_Alliance.JPG
    EV_Alliance.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,136
This graphic does indicate a bottom trigger in addition to the upper latch trigger, but the actual photo up thread shows no evidence of any coupling assistance. There may be evidence of push pins to aid in decoupling.
You can see that on the SAE version here: http://publicaa.ansi.org/sites/apdl/...I-EDV-0411.pdf

attachment.php?attachmentid=1621&d=1302894859.jpg

The Mennekes one will probably have something similar:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1622&d=1302894862.jpg

Hopefully the signaling for DC charging will be the same for these two so manufactures can just install the appropriate inlet port for a given region. As far as I understand, these are not compatible with the TEPCO/CHAdeMO signaling.

Attachments

• J1772_DC.JPG
    J1772_DC.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,119
  • Mennekes_DC.JPG
    Mennekes_DC.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 3,032
In the last J1772 update presentation posted, there was a slide about how they'd experimented with the pin size current carrying vs insertion force trade off. They don't think they need mechanical assistance.

This French/Italian proposal has been kicking around for nearly two years. I first heard about it when talking to the Mennekes guys at the 2009 Frankfurt show. It has almost certainly slowed the IEC process down to the detriment of both standards and the roll out of fast charging posts in Europe.

Having dealt with a lot of Avcon, and some J1772, I find that insertion force varies greatly with different brands and condition of plugs and sockets.
You can run into two different vendors J1772 sockets that have quite a bit of different in force required to insert the plug. Maybe it is manufacturing tolerances, grime in the connector, smoothness of the plastic, etc.? They should probably design it to be very easy to insert, because invariably they will end up with some cases later where it ends up being more difficult than intended... Easy->hard is better than hard->impossible...

Finalization of U.S. standard for Level 3 connector to come in 2012 Autoblog Green

I wonder how many CHAdeMO cars and charging stations will be in the US by then.

Last week, at the 2011 SAE World Congress, Charles Gray, Ford's chief engineer for core electrification engineering said that:

We're in a race on standards that, bluntly, we may not win because it's taking a long time to get these through committees I can't imagine not taking advantage of the opportunity, as this industry is reborn.

If it is too late for Model S, then it will be too late. Nobody will care.

I have been looking to place an affordable charging station at my antiques store. I've been in contact with a Dutch company The New Motion for some time now and they are about to come out with a mode 3, type 2 charger. It's a relatively simple box but with back office services for accessibility and payment. The box will also measure the current load on the breaker to avoid tripping. There will also be an app for clients to check location and availability.
They initial price will be € 750,= ex VAT and ex installation costs, but they hope to drive the price down to € 450,= if they can sell enough of them. There is a monthly charge of € 10,= for communication of the box and the back office.

I've uploaded a pdf they send me to yousendit.com which can be accessed here I am sorry it's in Dutch, but I'll see if they can provide info in English as well. The picture in the document is an example of a prototype and looks like it's designed in 1950. They will come out with a better looking box before the official start in June. The prototype will be available for a test group (50) starting in May.

Is it too late to make a thread (or three (levels)) call plug standards. This info would be nice to find in the future and this thread is 10 pages already.

Excellent idea for veterans and noobs alike.
Could have Recharge Plugs n Sockets - Level 1,
Recharge Plugs n Sockets - Level 2,
Recharge Plugs n Sockets - Level 3.

Would have to be sub-divided by territory.

Need to be sticky too.

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - SAE J1772 *Level 1* DC?

...proposed SAE J1772™ Level 1 DC standard...
http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingspeeds.pdf

EVSE includes an off-board charger
200-450 V DC, up to 36 kW (80 A)
Est. charge time (20 kW off-board charger):
PHEV: 22 min. (SOC* - 0% to 80%)
BEV: 1.2 hrs. (SOC – 20% to 100%)

It reuses the existing J1772 AC connector and sends data down the control pilot pin.

They are aiming for a cost target of less then $1K for a 12kW off-board DC level 1 charger.
Pretty cool stuff.

I stumbled across this while looking at these slides:
http://www.ilmua.org/AnnualMeeting/Annu ... 1_Bohn.pdf

NEMA - NEMA Participates in ANSI Electric Vehicle Standards Panel
NEMA Participates in ANSI Electric Vehicle Standards Panelhttp://www.nema.org/

23 Jun 2011

ROSSLYN, Va.—Member company representatives and staff of the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) participated recently in the first face-to-face meeting for the newly-formed Electric Vehicle Standards Panel (EVSP) of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). With an initial scope that focuses on the consumer-class of electric vehicles (EVs), the mission of the EVSP is to develop a roadmap for the U.S. standardization effort.

According to the opening remarks by ANSI President and CEO Joe Bhatia, the panel’s efforts are designed to be complementary to other standardization activities in the U.S. and abroad, including as those of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Smart Grid Interoperability Panel (SGIP), the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).

“As you would expect, because of the impacts on the U.S. electrical infrastructure NEMA figures very prominently in the work of the EVSP,” said Paul Molitor, NEMA’s Assistant Vice President for Smart Grid. “Our staff and our members are actively involved at every level of the panel, and we are looking forward to improving our understanding of the issues and creating closer relationships with our counterparts in the electric vehicle world.”

Other organizations and institutions involved with the panel include the U.S. Department of Energy, the General Services Administration (GSA), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), Underwriters Laboratories (UL), and several domestic and international automobile manufacturers.

No Tesla? :
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/06/evsp-20110616.html
ANSI Electric Vehicles Standards Panel to host first plenary 20-21 June in Detroit

16 June 2011

The first plenary meeting of the ANSI Electric Vehicles Standards Panel (EVSP) will take place on 20–21 June 2011 in Detroit to initiate work on a strategic roadmap identifying the standards and conformity assessment programs needed to enable the widespread acceptance and deployment of electric vehicles and associated infrastructure in the United States.
Participation in the June meeting and in the EVSP is open to all affected parties, including representatives of the automotive, electrotechnical and utilities industries, relevant trade associations, standards development and conformity assessment organizations, government agencies, and academia. Thirty-nine public and private sector organizations have already joined the EVSP initiative, including:

• Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers
  • Association of Global Automakers
  • ATIS
  • Audi AG
  • Better Place
  • California Public Utilities Commission
  • Con Edison
  • Corning Inc.
  • CSA America
  • Duke Energy
  • Eaton
  • Edison Electric Institute
  • Electric Power Research Institute
  • General Electric
  • Green Dot (Transportation) Inc.
  • IEEE
  • International Association of Electrical Inspectors
  • International Code Council
  • Intertek
  • ITT Interconnect Solutions
  • Mercedes-Benz USA
  • National Electrical Contractors Association
  • National Electrical Manufacturers Association
  • National Fire Protection Association
  • National Institute of Standards and Technology
  • Rocky Mountain Institute
  • SAE International
  • Schneider Electric
  • SEW-Eurodrive
  • Siemens
  • Sony Electronics, Inc.
  • Southern California Edison
  • Southern Company
  • TDI Power
  • Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.
  • US Department of Energy
  • Virginia Tech Transportation Institute
ANSI says that participation in the EVSP provides an organization with the ability to help determine priorities on standardization issues (design, performance, safety, interoperability, testing, certification, training) impacting their business, stay ahead of the curve in technical advancement and policy issues, and enhance its ability to compete in the US and global markets. The EVSP also facilitates the public-private partnership that is needed to ensure that the technologies and infrastructure for electric vehicles will be safe and effective.
I encourage all interested parties to join with these leading organizations and get involved with the EVSP today. Time is of the essence, and the US standards community must come together to keep up with the fast pace of technological developments. We must also keep up with our trading partners who are accelerating their national and regional standardization initiatives, recognizing the enormous opportunity to grow this emerging industry.
—S. Joe Bhatia, ANSI president and CEO​
The decision to form the EVSP was reached at the 4 March meeting of an interim steering committee convened by ANSI in response to suggestions that the US standardization community needs a coordinated approach to keep pace with electric vehicles initiatives moving forward in other parts of the world. The need for the panel was reinforced at the 5–6 April ANSI Workshop: Standards and Codes for Electric Drive Vehicles that looked at standards, codes, conformance and training issues...

EV Solutions : News
AV Achieves UL Certification for Full Line of EV Charging Systems
AeroVironment’s UL-listed product suite includes:
• Home AC charging station (EVSE-RS)
• Home AC charging station with smart grid capability (EVSE-RS+)
• Commercial AC charging station – with smart grid capability (EVSE-CS)
Public DC fast charging station – with smart grid capability (EV50-PS)
Fleet DC fast charging station – with smart grid capability (EV50-FS)
• 120VAC cord standard charging cord - can be used with all EVs and PHEVs (EVSE-CT)