Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AGB
The European standard charging plug for cars is selected after Mennekes design
mennekesplug.jpg
Getting all the interested parties to agree on a standard plug isn't an easy thing, so some initiatives had been taken to make the Mennekes plug the standard model, at least in Europe....In the U.S., the J1772 connector will likely be the new standard for plug-in vehicles.

Ah, this is the plug in the RWE story and the Mennekes plug mentioned in the Elektrobay press release. Call off the format war.

So they've gone for a de facto standard over using an existing open one. Interesting.

At least it is three phase and 63A (=> roughly 45kW). Just a shame it couldn't be based on the 125A or higher versions of the IEC60309 plugs out there.

I wonder how waterproof it is? It looks similar in nature to the IP44 plugs from the above standard, only.

Looks like there's a new standard coming, which could lower prices.

SAE 2009: SAE J1772 plug standard could be finalized by this fall
Sae J1772 — Autoblog Green

The connector is designed for single phase electrical systems with up to 240 V and 70 A such as those used in North American and Japan. The round 43 mm diameter connector has five pins and will support communication over power lines, to identify the vehicle and control charging. The connector is designed to withstand up to 10,000 connection/disconnection cycles and exposure to all kinds of elements. The supporting manufacturers have committed to using the new plug including GM for the Volt and its derivatives. Tesla has even committed to changing over to the standard plug and retrofitting existing vehicles.

So today's Roadster connector is not the standard one, but apparently Tesla may be willing to retrofit existing Roadsters, though it's anyone's guess how much they'll charge for that.

Don't screw up plug-ins - ApteraForum.com - Aptera Car Forum
rotus8 said:
The standard for EV charging systems has been formulated by the SAE. The committee working on the standard is J1772. A standard has been in place for about ten years or more. What the committee is doing now is updating the standard to accommodate Tesla Motors products which go to 70A. The old standard would go to 50A. We had to redefine the pilot signal interface to communicate the new higher currents to the vehicle.

Don't screw up plug-ins - ApteraForum.com - Aptera Car Forum

[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Great thread, Thanks for cross posting it, TEG.

Not sure I agree with the breakaway plug idea. Disabling the car while charging seems sufficient given the cost of such a configuration and the infrequency of outside cable damage from other cars and human interaction.

Last edited:
Note that TEG's quote is almost a year old. Yeah 30 amps, is way too low. Especially as pure EV's increase their energy capacity. For the current incarnation of the Aptera 2e, it doesn't matter so much. Their battery is so small, 120V 15A gives a reasonable charge rate (mph).

Note that TEG's quote is almost a year old. Yeah 30 amps, is way too low.
Yes, I saw that the quote was old, but has the situation changed?
Will J1772-2009 offer greater than 32amps for Tesla charging?
What was the result of all those discussions about changes to the pilot signal?

Does anyone know when we will see J1772-2009 public charging stations?
When (if?) will Tesla switch to using that type of connector?

The connector piece on the end of the HPC, 240 MC and 120 MC is proprietary to Tesla. The company that makes them will not sell them to anyone else.

If they are so expensive, and so hard to find, I would worry that the ones sitting out in the open at the public charging stations could be at risk. Another reason why a cheap/generic/standard end on a public charger would be a good idea. Unlike some other secure pedestals like Coulomb there is no locking door provision on the Tesla public chargers, is there?

Coulomb key card required:
coulombCharger.jpg

I've been thinking what I'm about to type since the first time I saw the new standard:

You know, I can understand the drive to make it look like a gas pump handle I guess... but is it just me, or does it look gimmicky and clunky compared to he roadster connector? Oh well, price of "progress" I suppose. Hope it feels more solid than it looks.